BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Most tests show low or "no" regen settings are more battery efficient than one pedal. All modern EVs regen battery regardless of what setting you choose, the settings just change whether it does it via either the brake or accelerator liftoff. But coasting is always more efficient than slowing and speeding up again.

Use whichever setting you enjoy more.
Not all modern EVs. I test drove a Genesis and it has a direct link between the brake pedal and pads. So, if you were in low regen and needed additional braking (which you normally would) you would be using friction brakes. I assume, therefore, that Kia and hyundai are the same as they use similar architecture? We have Tesla to thank for that

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
Maybe that is so for coasting on flat ground. Coasting down a mountain, you will soon reach a speed where you cannot make the curves.

Then B mode is great for keeping the car under control and to grab some charge.
Does adaptive mode help with that?

· Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
160 Posts
I think when you use the break pedal in a Tesla, it uses the friction brakes. It doesn't start by regenerating like in the i4 (although it does regenerate by default since you've stopped pressing the accelerator). You have to use one pedal driving in a Tesla, because if you set the regeneration to "low", you hardly get any regeneration.

· Registered
308 Posts
Maybe that is so for coasting on flat ground. Coasting down a mountain, you will soon reach a speed where you cannot make the curves.

Then B mode is great for keeping the car under control and to grab some charge.
Yes. B mode or adaptive driving is a much more efficient way of energy management than coasting. Coasting is very primitive, it is what we used during the petrol crisis of the 70's to save some petrol downhill.

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
Yes. B mode or adaptive driving is a much more efficient way of energy management than coasting. Coasting is very primitive, it is what we used during the petrol crisis of the 70's to save some petrol downhill.
You are 100% incorrect with your assumptions. An intelligent application of coasting and recuperative braking is a more efficient driving approach than recuperation alone.

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
This is also why I wish there was a setting where lifting off the accelerator allowed you to coast. I am often looking at the power meter to see if I am at zero. I know I shouldn't but I do!
WIth Adaptive recuperation, you will coast. If you have it, it's in the drivetrain settings:
Vehicle Automotive design Gadget Font Display device

Reactions: cboodts

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
Personally can't stand Adaptive. I like to know what the car is going to do when I lift off the accelerator. I'm just asking for one more option. Should be easy to code.
I don't understand this. I have had no issues whatsoever in adaptive. It drives like a manual; foot off is like pressing in the clutch. It coasts unless and until I'm approaching other vehicles when it slowly begins to apply recuperation. In fact, it coasts much more than I expected it to do, and it's perfect for me: I tend to coast up on stop lights from half a mile back, and it lets me do just that, only starting to apply some recuperation when I would begin to brake myself.

I'm running 07/2022.33, and we know iDrive impacts things like this, but perhaps so do the settings for front mitigation (Early versus Late, for instance). But, honestly, no issues at all with it, and the only hiccup I had was when in DAPP and the car mistook a road aberration for an obstacle.

· Registered
80 Posts
It will coast beautifully in Adaptive but only if you lift off early- which is fine when I want to potter about. But sometimes I want to brake a little later and I have to guess how much regen is going to happen. Just not my thing. A simple opd off would sort it for me. It is how Porsche and Polestar do it so perhaps it is just the fact I've had the option in the past and I miss it! People coming from Tesla will wonder what I am going on about.

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
It will coast beautifully in Adaptive but only if you lift off early- which is fine when I want to potter about. But sometimes I want to brake a little later and I have to guess how much regen is going to happen. Just not my thing. A simple opd off would sort it for me. It is how Porsche and Polestar do it so perhaps it is just the fact I've had the option in the past and I miss it! People coming from Tesla will wonder what I am going on about.
Ah! I get you, now. While no one has ever accused me of "pottering about," I reckon I coast into a stop earlier than many. I'm aware many people don't even see the stop light until they are practically on top of the car in front of them (and sometimes not even then! :oops: ), but I'm always looking way ahead and prefer to coast in and then keep moving rather than come to a stop if possible.

I agree with you, though. Having "let me coast and decide when to brake and then use recuperation as long as you can" would be a better option than having the car decide how much recuperation when.

Reactions: yobro 24

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have been using a new driving style just recently to maximise regen.
So I drive in Adaptive mode and coasting and when I'm doing 50km/hr or more and I'm coming to a stop sign, roundabout or stopped traffic, I switch to B mode.

The idea is to time it so well that you don't need to touch the brake pedal.
I don't use this technique ALL the time, but more and more often. 🙂

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
But Adaptive does the regen for you when you approach those things. If it doesn't, eg at traffic lights, just press the brake pedal.
Yes, Adaptive does the regen, but I find it starts regen very early and gently and so I press on the accelerator a bit. Once you do this, the Adaptive mode doesn't seem to be as effective and so can approach the traffic at speed.
I get the impression that regen is greater with B than pressing the brakes, but I'm no expert (my first VE) !

· Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,479 Posts
Well I seem to have gotten into yet another driving style.

When I drive in B mode I never take my foot off the accelerator, because I like my front teeth so well. I keep my heel on the floor and make tiny adjustments of my ankle to control my speed.

If I wish a full stop I gauge the rate of deceleration to my stopping point as I bring my foot off the acc pedal. If I need the brake I will then press it. Often the car will stop wo the brake.
I often use the auto hold button when driving in town to wait at lights.

I understand that the regen gives about 93% of the car's kinetic energy, so I am not worried about efficiency while driving this way. I have seen a range over 4miles/kWh on the highway on level ground.

I have read the issues of the range changing with software upgrade, so will try to calibrate this off the odometer begore and after my upgoming recall upgrade.

· Registered
308 Posts
You are 100% incorrect with your assumptions. An intelligent application of coasting and recuperative braking is a more efficient driving approach than recuperation alone.
That's because you are using the term "coasting" in a different way, and mix true coasting and gentle driving, as explained elsewhere. You mean "intelligent driving" and that I agree with. Gently pressing the brake, avoiding the use of friction brakes, not racing between red lights and to crossings, not challenging Tesla or Kia EV6 GT drivers or others, but that is not coasting for me. I know I am 100% correct, but I also know you have misinterpreted me. :)

· Registered
308 Posts
I have been using a new driving style just recently to maximise regen.
So I drive in Adaptive mode and coasting and when I'm doing 50km/hr or more and I'm coming to a stop sign, roundabout or stopped traffic, I switch to B mode.

The idea is to time it so well that you don't need to touch the brake pedal.
I don't use this technique ALL the time, but more and more often. 🙂
Actually, touching the brake pedal is not bad, as long as you don't press it hard just carefully pressing. The first part of the braking is done through harder regen. The friction brakes kicks in only when the generator mode is not enough to brake the speed. You can see that if you watch your regen / consumption needle downhill. If you let the car "self brake" or free roll by not using the cruise control and not pressing any pedal, you will see the regen indicator needle pointing down. Now, press the brake pedal gently and the regeneration will increase a bit, the needle will point further down, until it suddenly jumps back towards the middle and decreases. Eventually it will always decrease as the speed decreases, but what you have to avoid is that sudden jump back, that's where the friction brakes are applied. Perhaps there are other indicators also, but anyway, even the brake pedal use can result in regeneration.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts