BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Alpine White i4 edrive40 Sport
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a base-trim Alpine White eDrive40 with the blue exterior accents, all that's missing to make it look like all the promo shots is the chrome window surround and "aero" wheels. I decided to keep it simple because the stunning white is already a head-turner in Belgium's sea of black and silver cars (and I also saved like 1000€).
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

This won't be a full review yet, but I did want to already post my first impressions. This past week I finally got the eDrive40 I ordered way back in September 2022 as my next company car. Despite several delays, I "only" had a 10-month wait. As we are painfully aware, it could have been much longer but I think I got in my order at the right time. Pricewise as well, since this year leasing payments have skyrocketed for electric BMWs due to them dropping their insane (19-21%) fleet discounts. I consider myself very lucky, doubly so each time I open the door to the beauty below:
The red interior changes color according to the light--from a dark red to a burgundy when the light dims.

When the door closes with a satisfying thunk, you'll find that the Tacora red Sensatec is supremely soft yet supportive. The seats are much thinner than the M-Sport ones on the model I test drove and I prefer these. Combined with the fact that my wife and I are not the tallest people, we can get very comfortable and there's plenty of room in back for all our needs.

I was a bit apprehensive about the red interior when I ordered, but today I'm very glad I ticked that box. The red-on-white combo is jaw-droppingly gorgeous! The Alpineweiss exterior is not at all matte either, as I'd feared, but is quite glossy and shiny and... metallic, despite being a non-metallic color. The exterior blue accents give off a nice vibe and they let everyone else know you're driving something a bit special.
You can't see very well here, but the perforations in the Sensatec give it a very very high end feel.

Speaking of driving, wow. With triple the horse-power of my previous car, there is definitely way more grunt under the accelerator pedal of this eDrive40 than I need--or even know what to do with. The acceleration is intoxicating and addictive, especially so when you're already at 10-20 kph and you floor it. I would say it reaches the speed limit in the blink of an eye, but I don't dare blink while my foot is anywhere near the throttle in sport mode.

Didn't take out on a long trip or out on twisty bends yet, but I'll come back and post a more in-depth review with some even better photos with my big camera when she and I have spent a little more quality time together. These are just some quick shots I snapped with my phone while running some errands; that's just how photogenic this piece of art it.
Aluminium mesh-effect interior trim.

I went through all the menus already of course, and I was surprised to find that iDrive 8 is more intuitive than they seemed during the test drive. There are a lot of options and apps everywhere which could overwhelm, but you can filter them according to what you're looking for. Plus, many menus can be reached through multiple paths; you often find the settings you're looking for exactly where you expect them to be. Also, I'm happy to say that the iDrive rotary controller wasn't left to the wayside when BMW adapted the touchscreen. It's still very easy to use and I greatly prefer it over reaching for the screen (except of course for typing on the on-screen keyboard).

Let me know what you guys think of my chosen color combo and if you'd like to know anything else. Like I said, I'll give it a few weeks and report back in full. Not gonna say much about the dealer experience right now as there's been a few issues (I might make another post). Suffice to say that I believe the ludicrously high demand for their vehicles have made them lower their standards for customer experience.

Nevertheless, they're minor points which will be ironed out in due time. There's very little that can sour the desire to take the heavy hunk of steel and lithium out for spin!
Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
220 Posts
Loving the base color and the base trim. I do think it needs 18 or 19” wheels at least to round off the look, but probably you get insane range. Did you do any range testing yet? This could be the ultimate record breaking trim not yet on YouTube

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
222 Posts
Loving the base color and the base trim. I do think it needs 18 or 19” wheels at least to round off the look, but probably you get insane range. Did you do any range testing yet? This could be the ultimate record breaking trim not yet on YouTube
In the US at least the base trim (which I prefer) comes with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No range testing yet, but it's true I'm really not worried about range anxiety. As for the rims I personally don't care for wheel size and I'm fine with the look of the 17s. Great comfort and range are a bonus!

Next time I do a long road trip, I'll try taking it slow and putting the efficiency to the test. I'm excited about it, but eight now... I've only had the car for a few days, so for the way I'm driving right now, 19, 18 or 17 inch rims won't make much difference...

·
Super Moderator
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
3,568 Posts
As a base-trim Alpine White eDrive40 with the blue exterior accents, all that's missing to make it look like all the promo shots is the chrome window surround and "aero" wheels. I decided to keep it simple because the stunning white is already a head-turner in Belgium's sea of black and silver cars (and I also saved like 1000€).
View attachment 13007

This won't be a full review yet, but I did want to already post my first impressions. This past week I finally got the eDrive40 I ordered way back in September 2022 as my next company car. Despite several delays, I "only" had a 10-month wait. As we are painfully aware, it could have been much longer but I think I got in my order at the right time. Pricewise as well, since this year leasing payments have skyrocketed for electric BMWs due to them dropping their insane (19-21%) fleet discounts. I consider myself very lucky, doubly so each time I open the door to the beauty below:
View attachment 13008

When the door closes with a satisfying thunk, you'll find that the Tacora red Sensatec is supremely soft yet supportive. The seats are much thinner than the M-Sport ones on the model I test drove and I prefer these. Combined with the fact that my wife and I are not that tall, we can get very comfortable and there's plenty of room in back for all our needs.

I was a bit apprehensive about the red interior when I ordered, but today I'm very glad I ticked that box. The red-on-white combo is jaw-droppingly gorgeous! The Alpineweiss exterior is not at all matte either, as I'd feared, but is quite glossy and shiny and... metallic, despite being a non-metallic color. The exterior blue accents give off a nice vibe and they lets everyone else know you're driving something a bit special.
View attachment 13009

Speaking of driving, wow. With triple the horse-power of my previous car, there is definitely way more grunt under the accelerator pedal of this eDrive40 than I need--or even know what to do with. The acceleration is intoxicating and addictive, especially so when you're already at 10-20 kph and you floor it. I would say it reaches the speed limit in the blink of an eye, but I don't dare blink while my foot is anywhere near the throttle in sport mode.

Didn't take out on a long trip or out on twisty bends yet, but I'll come back and post a more in-depth review with some even better photos with my big camera when she and I have spent a little more quality time together. These are just some quick shots I snapped with my phone while running some errands; that's just how photogenic this piece of art it.
View attachment 13010

I went through all the menus already of course, and I was surprised to find that iDrive 8 is more intuitive than they seemed during the test drive. There are a lot of options and apps everywhere which could overwhelm, but you can filter them according to what you're looking for. Plus, many menus can be reached through multiple paths; you often find the settings you're looking for exactly where you expect them to be. Also, I'm happy to say that the iDrive rotary controller wasn't left to the wayside when BMW adapted the touchscreen. It's still very easy to use and I greatly prefer it over reaching for the screen (except of course for typing on the on-screen keyboard).

Let me know what you guys think of my chosen color combo and if you'd like to know anything else. Like I said, I'll give it a few weeks and report back in full. Not gonna say much about the dealer experience right now as there's been a few issues (I might make another post). Suffice to say that I believe the ludicrously high demand for their vehicles have made them lower their standards for customer experience.

Nevertheless, they're minor points which will be ironed out in due time. There's very little that can sour the desire to take the heavy hunk of steel and lithium out for spin!
View attachment 13027
Gorgeous! Love the red with the white!

• Love
Reactions: thev

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,092 Posts
View attachment 13007

This won't be a full review yet, but I did want to already post my first impressions. This past week I finally got
thev, your color combo is beautiful. And the brushed aluminium trim is just right on the control console[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thev, your color combo is beautiful. And the brushed aluminium trim is just right on the control console
Much appreciated! It's the aluminium "mesh effect" trim, I don't know if it's available in every market. Specced it that way because the shiny piano black that came as standard here was not my cup of tea, and this one looks really sporty.

The aluminium is also very nice to the touch, how much caressing would you say is a normal amount when you have such a pretty car?

·
Registered
E-drive 40 Dravid grey/cognac Msports package with all options.
276 Posts
Much appreciated! It's the aluminium "mesh effect" trim, I don't know if it's available in every market. Specced it that way because the shiny piano black that came as standard here was not my cup of tea, and this one looks really sporty.

The aluminium is also very nice to the touch, how much caressing would you say is a normal amount when you have such a pretty car?
what was the aluminum called? “Aluminum Rhombicle Anthracite” as part of the option for the trim? otherwise a very beautiful car, even the blue accents are great on the white, and stands out!

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,140 Posts
I think that's the first decent picture that I've seen of the Aluminium Mesh Effect that you can actually zoom in and see what's really going on. I think I like it?

I'd better, as that's what I ordered, too. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Elle BMW and thev

·
Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
234 Posts
I love the red interior, and I wonder if that wouldn't have been the better option for ourselves as well (we chose Cognac). I'd be afraid that white is only looking that sparkling right after it has been cleaned. Cars tend to be dirty most of the time... But it is gorgeous, no doubt about it.

Not sure if I like the alu mesh though. But the great thing is that everyone's taste is perfect, especially for himself!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aluminium mesh effect is the standard option for Australian ed40 cars. I went with it for lack of any other ideas, this is actually the first good picture I’ve seen of it.
So does it have a slight bumpy texture feel to it?
Yeah, there is definitely a noticeable texture on the mesh effect aluminium. It feels as if the "mesh" is very finely engraved into the metal and not just drawn on it. However, the effect is quite subtle and you kinda have to compare by going back and forth to the smooth aluminium surrounding the center console to really notice it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that's the first decent picture that I've seen of the Aluminium Mesh Effect that you can actually zoom in and see what's really going on. I think I like it?

I'd better, as that's what I ordered, too. 🤣
Haha I understand what you mean. Back when I ordered, I spent some time going through all of the dealer's cars to check what the different trims looked like. Unfortunately, they didn't have all of them on their showroom cars so it was difficult to properly compare and make a decision. Some dealers have small bits of the trim shown on a display wall (usually next to the exterior paint displays) but it's hard to gauge what the final look will be like that.

I think you'll like it though. From a distance, it just looks pretty much like brushed metal without much texture on it and that's the look I was going for. You can see that in the 3rd picture I posted, the one from the outside of the car looking in. You gotta be sitting down in the front to notice the little mesh effect going on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love the red interior, and I wonder if that wouldn't have been the better option for ourselves as well (we chose Cognac). I'd be afraid that white is only looking that sparkling right after it has been cleaned. Cars tend to be dirty most of the time... But it is gorgeous, no doubt about it.

Not sure if I like the alu mesh though. But the great thing is that everyone's taste is perfect, especially for himself!
What I had in mind when ordering is that a dirty car will look like a dirty car, in any color. :) It's true that on white it can be quickly apparent, especially behind the wheel arches or on the backside after driving in the rain... but I'm hoping it will motivate me to keep the car as clean as possible!

I was also hesitating with the cognac as they look really classy, but in the end decided the red will pop more against the white. Plus, I thought I could always get brown leather seats on my next car as they always look good. Red interiors aren't always as well designed as on the i4 and on some cars they can look tacky.

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,092 Posts
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire

You are right!

I often run my fingers along my trim, which is open pore oak. It goes the shadowline external trim and is set against the cognac seats an orange body.

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 13065
You are right!

I often run my fingers along my trim, which is open pore oak. It goes the shadowline external trim and is set against the cognac seats an orange body.
Wow, that open pore wood is an absolute stunner! I think you're right, it goes great with the dark interior of the M-Sport version

I really like the color of your seats as well. On the one hand I find it's very elegant to have a cognac lower dash that matches the seats, and the other I'm glad that, on the contrary, the Tacora red seats don't make the lower dash red!

I find that BMW's designers put a lot of thought in the color options, and it shows!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for all the pictures of both beautiful cars. And congrats. It’s funny the I4 asks for bold color combinations but it suits it very well. We also ordered orange with cognac, though in sensatec since we don’t have the m-sport edition. Delivery expected in september

·
Registered
195 Posts
View attachment 13007

View attachment 13008

When the door closes with a satisfying thunk, you'll find that the Tacora red Sensatec is supremely soft yet supportive. The seats are much thinner than the M-Sport ones on the model I test drove and I prefer these. Combined with the fact that my wife and I are not the tallest people, we can get very comfortable and there's plenty of room in back for all our needs.

I was a bit apprehensive about the red interior when I ordered, but today I'm very glad I ticked that box. The red-on-white combo is jaw-droppingly gorgeous! The Alpineweiss exterior is not at all matte either, as I'd feared, but is quite glossy and shiny and... metallic, despite being a non-metallic color. The exterior blue accents give off a nice vibe and they let everyone else know you're driving something a bit special.
View attachment 13009

View attachment 13010

View attachment 13027
I think it's beautiful, and I am flat out envious that anyone gets an i4 as their fleet vehicle. I got the Skyscraper Grey Metallic with Tacora Red leather, and I agree with you - it's shockingly beautiful. It's normally the first thing people notice when they see the car for the first time, and it's always a very positive reaction. Like you, I was a bit nervous when I ordered because the color looks super red on the website. In fact, I wouldn't have chosen it had I not been able to see an actual swatch at my dealership.

Now, if you ordered your i4 in September of 2022 as you've noted and you already have it, well...your wait was even shorter than mine. 😉Your i4 is also a time machine.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think it's beautiful, and I am flat out envious that anyone gets an i4 as their fleet vehicle. I got the Skyscraper Grey Metallic with Tacora Red leather, and I agree with you - it's shockingly beautiful. It's normally the first thing people notice when they see the car for the first time, and it's always a very positive reaction. Like you, I was a bit nervous when I ordered because the color looks super red on the website. In fact, I wouldn't have chosen it had I not been able to see an actual swatch at my dealership.

Now, if you ordered your i4 in September of 2022 as you've noted and you already have it, well...your wait was even shorter than mine. 😉Your i4 is also a time machine.
Tacora Red interior, best interior! My i4 was in the garage for a few days recently (nothing wrong with the car, the dealer chipped the paint on delivery), and during that time the dealer loaned me their own eDrive40. It had the M-Sport pack and it was loaded with options, so definitely a great car but it had an all-black interior and that just didn't do it for me. It just didn't feel as special!

And ah yes, it seems they've given me an upgraded version of the i4 which has 1.21 gigawatts of power! :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts