BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the car is here and ready to share the first impressions of my long awaited (11 months to be exact) i4 M50. I might update the review as I am learning the car. I will be comparing it to some cars I've owned, or own: Merc E300E 2021, BMW 330E G20, Tesla Model 3P 2022 (current next to i4M50), iX3 2021 pre-face lift (previous BMW).
Config: i4M50, 18" 858, rear spoiler delete, color: Brooklyn Grey, full electric and heated seats, adaptive cruise, comfort access, wireless charger, parking assistant plus.
Aim of the config: power of the M50, but with maximum range possible.

Drive comfort. 8/10, I'd say on par with Merc E Class, but firmer and sportier of course. Swallows any bad roads like cobblestone or potholes with pride. Not as planted and not as "go kart" direct as the T M3P, but also not so twitchy at the same time. Very very quiet, even without double pane glass, especially no road noise or wheel arch noise, BMW did an amazing job here.

Driving dynamics. Straight line: 8/10. Super quick and engaging in a straight line. Not ranking higher due to torque steer on front wheels. Twisty road: 7/10. It is heavy and it cuts power excessively on a twisty road. Understeer much. If you don't want that to happen - go i4 40, it is much more playful. With the m50 you can still have fun, but you MUST go DSC OFF, as simply switching to Traction doesn't change much. DSC OFF allows for some fun in turns, but the car remains heavy and AWD.

Efficiency. I couldn't do full length tests, but did several reference points today. Please note, weather was 19-21c and absolutely no wind, so pretty much best conditions possible. So direction of driving didn't matter. I drove both south and north on the A2 between Amsterdam and Utrecht. Drive mode: ECO PRO individual (without ECO PRO airco). Front passenger airco on at 20c. Rear passenger airco was on and set at 20c too (you can save a bit more power by turning it off if no one in the back). Screenshots to follow.
  • 100km/h: 16.1kwh --> theoretical range 500km
  • 120km/h: 17.2kwh --> theoretical range 468km
  • 130km/h: 20.1kwh --> theoretical range 400km
Even though these were truly best conditions today and fully level road (its Netherlands duh) with no wind, these are great results. On par or better than my M3P, but my M3P is on 20" Uberturbines so a bit unfair. But who cares right? Still a win for BMW.

Drive modes. Speaking of drive modes, this is the only BMW so far where I don't mind the ECO PRO mode. All other ones (330e, iX3) became very spongy with acceleration pedal and far from linear (need to press far to get some acceleration). Not so much in the M50 - ECO PRO remains very responsive and sporty, it also eliminates torque steer when accelerating hard. So actually a total winner mode so far. The car still kicks like a mule. Also it's super quiet as it by default disables all the Hans Zimmer madness.

Build quality. Interior: absolutely amazing. I chose Sensatec seats with alcantara. Total winner. By the way, I couldn't tell difference on leather bits from my Vernasca leather iX3 or 330E. Super quality really. All interior trims solid, no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. Exterior: outstanding build, EXCEPT for some parts: that hockey stick end air breather flexes by simply pressing with your thumb (!), also front air breathers just flex pressing them, I think even a kid can press them and flex them.

Infotainment. Great (8.5/10), mainly due to great wireless Carplay integration, curvature towards the driver and the sheer size. Super snappy too. Didn't try BMW maps yet, as I almost never use them. The screen get HOT though, like literally - its running very hot, both front of the screen and rear. It didn't hang or get reset as of yet, but something tells me on a hot summer day (30c+) it might be an issue.

Sound quality. 8.5/10. Huge positive surprise. I didn't option HK this time (had it on my iX3 so have a good reference point), and the Hi-Fi (so mid-tier) audio has definitely been improved over previous cars, no kidding. I had the hi-fi option on my G20 330E and it sucked big time. So I already made peace with the thought of having a sub-par audio. Boy was I surprised - it is much crispier, better positioned, much deeper base and also clearer mids and highs. Loving it. It's really on par with Tesla premium audio (or whatever they call it), which is quite good. And definitely not worse than iX3 HK. Miles ahead of G20 Hi-Fi option. One addition: BMW updated the M50 with new more aggressive Hans Zimmer sound samples and the car actually makes very engaging and interesting sounds in Sport Boost now. This was not the case on demo models and as heard in most reviews (just a boring monotonous sound). So try it.

Rear view. Non existent (3/10). Get the 360 cameras, it' a must. Front view: 7.5/10. Good view, but not as wide and immersive as the M3P. The long hood of M50 gets a bit in the way (I like to sit in the lowest possible position). Side view. 7.5/10. Doors are quite high; decent view out (so not as bad as in a Polestar 2), but also not as good as in the M3P / Model Y. Overall - not disturbing at all, provided you have opted for 360 cameras with top view, especially when reversing it is truly amazing due to the huge screen size, no need to look in the tiny rear window.

HPC charging speed. 8.5/10 Didn't have time to test fully and couldn't get my car below 43% state of charge today (dealer delivered with 80%+). However the positive news is that at Ionity with 43% SOC the car was charging with 170kwh; at 50% SOC was charging with 120kwh (which is great - anything above 100kwh at 50% is good). I stopped charging at about 70% with still about 86kwh, so very very satisfied with the preliminary result.

Practicality / space. 8/10. Front passenger space - perfect. Some soft cushioning for the right knee (Polestar go home). Plenty of headspace. Rear passenger space - up to 1.75m all good. Above - not so much. Trying to sit behind myself (1.86m) wasn't comfortable at all, but moving the front sit literally a couple of cm resolved the issue. Child seat with a base (maxi-cosi) - fits well, but front passenger will not have much space or angle of the seat must be more vertical to accommodate. Trunk space - very spacious (470L + underboot) and super easy access as a lift back. also some nice side cubby space. Underboot space is quite decent, in case you don't opt for the HK (as it would place a subwoofer there). Without it you can store your cables and many other things, including a 17" laptop bag for example, you could even stack 2 of those.

Overall impression then - very solid experience. Car feels like a high quality, well made and well rounded product, with nice services built around it as well (BMW charging, My BMW, digital key, etc). I think it's more of a GT than a sports car (i.e. it's no M3/M4 and don't even try to compare. It is also not as direct and sporty as an M3P), the M50 is perfect for long distances of autobahn, or even daily city driving as it isolates the hectic world outside really well and absorbs any speed bumps or potholes rather well. Personally - I think it is the best that BMW has to offer right now (iX might be 2nd best, but it looks rather weird; with iX3 being somewhat outdated already). The car feels much more like a 5 series (weight and comfort wise) than the 4GC (i.e. petrol or previous gen 4GC), which can be a good thing if it is what you value and expect. Finally, the car offers plenty of space, for a family of 2 or family of 2 + 1 kid for sure. 2 kids you might need to look for something bigger. In the end, the M50 feels like a better product than my M3P overall, so the Tesla is being sold and the M50 will be kept.

Hope I was able to cover it well for a one day experience so far.
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Car Automotive design Vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car

Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Yellow

Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car Motor vehicle Plant

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
75 Posts
Can confirm my screen assembly gets wicked hot on the back.
Can also confirm the m50 feels heavy and pushy in turns. Very muscle car/GT feel. The only e40 I’ve driven has has the dynamic handling package (adaptive suspension, pilot sport 4S tires) and that car feels like a proper BMW corner-muncher.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just a heads up...somebody else mentioned on fb about the screen getting really hot in the front and back . Then others don't have a problem.
Same here: it gets sometimes very hot. To the point that I realized it got hot through my face, I was feeling something warm radiation on my face coming from that direction. I touched it and yes, it was really hot there.
Also, coincidence or not, when it’s hot, the system also suffers from slow downs. So I believe there is some CPU throttling ongoing to reduce temperature or some background process using some serious CPU power and increasing the temperature.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nhnnbb

Finally the car is here and ready to share the first impressions of my long awaited (11 months to be exact) i4 M50. I might update the review as I am learning the car. I will be comparing it to some cars I've owned, or own: Merc E300E 2021, BMW 330E G20, Tesla Model 3P 2022 (current next to i4M50), iX3 2021 pre-face lift (previous BMW).
Config: i4M50, 18" 858, rear spoiler delete, color: Brooklyn Grey, full electric and heated seats, adaptive cruise, comfort access, wireless charger, parking assistant plus.

Drive comfort. 8/10, I'd say on par with Merc E Class, but firmer and sportier of course. Swallows any bad roads like cobblestone or potholes with pride. Not as planted and not as "go kart" direct as the T M3P, but also not so twitchy at the same time. Very very quiet, even without double pane glass, especially no road noise or wheel arch noise, BMW did an amazing job here.

Driving dynamics. Straight line: 8/10. Super quick and engaging in a straight line. Not ranking higher due to torque steer on front wheels. Twisty road: 7/10. It is heavy and it cuts power excessively on a twisty road. Understeer much. If you don't want that to happen - go i4 40, it is much more playful. With the m50 you can still have fun, but you MUST go DSC OFF, as simply switching to Traction doesn't change much. DSC OFF allows for some fun in turns, but the car remains heavy and AWD.

Efficiency. I couldn't do full length tests, but did several reference points today. Please note, weather was 19-21c and absolutely no wind, so pretty much best conditions possible. So direction of driving didn't matter. I drove both south and north on the A2 between Amsterdam and Utrecht. Drive mode: ECO PRO individual (without ECO PRO airco). Front passenger airco on at 20c. Rear passenger airco was on and set at 20c too (you can save a bit more power by turning it off if no one in the back). Screenshots to follow.
Even though these were truly best conditions today and fully level road (its Netherlands duh) with no wind, these are great results. On par or better than my M3P, but my M3P is on 20" Uberturbines so a bit unfair. But who cares right? Still a win for BMW.

Drive modes. Speaking of drive modes, this is the only BMW so far where I don't mind the ECO PRO mode. All other ones (330e, iX3) became very spongy with acceleration pedal and far from linear (need to press far to get some acceleration). Not so much in the M50 - ECO PRO remains very responsive and sporty, it also eliminates torque steer when accelerating hard. So actually a total winner mode so far. The car still kicks like a mule. Also it's super quiet as it by default disables all the Hans Zimmer madness.

Build quality. Interior: absolutely amazing. I chose Sensatec seats with alcantara. Total winner. By the way, I couldn't tell difference on leather bits from my Vernasca leather iX3 or 330E. Super quality really. All interior trims solid, no squeaks or rattles whatsoever. Exterior: outstanding build, EXCEPT for some parts: that hockey stick end air breather flexes by simply pressing with your thumb (!), also front air breathers just flex pressing them, I think even a kid can press them and flex them.

Infotainment. Great (8.5/10), mainly due to great wireless Carplay integration, curvature towards the driver and the sheer size. Super snappy too. Didn't try BMW maps yet, as I almost never use them. The screen get HOT though, like literally - its running very hot, both front of the screen and rear. It didn't hang or get reset as of yet, but something tells me on a hot summer day (30c+) it might be an issue.

Sound quality. 8.5/10. Huge positive surprise. I didn't option HK this time (had it on my iX3 so have a good reference point), and the Hi-Fi (so mid-tier) audio has definitely been improved over previous cars, no kidding. I had the hi-fi option on my G20 330E and it sucked big time. So I already made peace with the thought of having a sub-par audio. Boy was I surprised - it is much crispier, better positioned, much deeper base and also clearer mids and highs. Loving it. It's really on par with Tesla premium audio (or whatever they call it), which is quite good. And definitely not worse than iX3 HK. Miles ahead of G20 Hi-Fi option. One addition: BMW updated the M50 with new more aggressive Hans Zimmer sound samples and the car actually makes very engaging and interesting sounds in Sport Boost now. This was not the case on demo models and as heard in most reviews (just a boring monotonous sound). So try it.

Rear view. Non existent (3/10). Get the 360 cameras, it' a must. Front view: 7.5/10. Good view, but not as wide and immersive as the M3P. The long hood of M50 gets a bit in the way (I like to sit in the lowest possible position). Side view. 7.5/10. Doors are quite high; decent view out (so not as bad as in a Polestar 2), but also not as good as in the M3P / Model Y. Overall - not disturbing at all, provided you have opted for 360 cameras with top view, especially when reversing it is truly amazing due to the huge screen size, no need to look in the tiny rear window.

HPC charging speed. 8.5/10 Didn't have time to test fully and couldn't get my car below 43% state of charge today (dealer delivered with 80%+). However the positive news is that at Ionity with 43% SOC the car was charging with 170kwh; at 50% SOC was charging with 120kwh (which is great - anything above 100kwh at 50% is good). I stopped charging at about 70% with still about 86kwh, so very very satisfied with the preliminary result.

Practicality / space. 8/10. Front passenger space - perfect. Some soft cushioning for the right knee (Polestar go home). Plenty of headspace. Rear passenger space - up to 1.75m all good. Above - not so much. Trying to sit behind myself (1.86m) wasn't comfortable at all, but moving the front sit literally a couple of cm resolved the issue. Child seat with a base (maxi-cosi) - fits well, but front passenger will not have much space or angle of the seat must be more vertical to accommodate. Trunk space - very spacious (470L + underboot) and super easy access as a lift back. also some nice side cubby space. Underboot space is quite decent, in case you don't opt for the HK (as it would place a subwoofer there). Without it you can store your cables and many other things, including a 17" laptop bag for example, you could even stack 2 of those.

Overall impression then - very solid experience. Car feels like a high quality, well made and well rounded product, with nice services built around it as well (BMW charging, My BMW, digital key, etc). I think it's more of a GT than a sports car (i.e. it's no M3/M4 and don't even try to compare. It is also not as direct and sporty as an M3P), the M50 is perfect for long distances of autobahn, or even daily city driving as it isolates the hectic world outside really well and absorbs any speed bumps or potholes rather well. Personally - I think it is the best that BMW has to offer right now (iX might be 2nd best, but it looks rather weird; with iX3 being somewhat outdated already). The car feels much more like a 5 series (weight and comfort wise) than the 4GC (i.e. petrol or previous gen 4GC), which can be a good thing if it is what you value and expect. Finally, the car offers plenty of space, for a family of 2 or family of 2 + 1 kid for sure. 2 kids you might need to look for something bigger. In the end, the M50 feels like a better product than my M3P overall, so the Tesla is being sold and the M50 will be kept.

View attachment 9653
View attachment 9651
View attachment 9650
View attachment 9652
View attachment 9646
View attachment 9647
View attachment 9648
View attachment 9645
View attachment 9649

View attachment 9653
View attachment 9651
View attachment 9650
View attachment 9652
View attachment 9646
View attachment 9647
View attachment 9648
View attachment 9645
View attachment 9649
Sapperderflap.
Super extensive user review. Exceptional. Thanks.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
1,313 Posts
Same here: it gets sometimes very hot. To the point that I realized it got hot through my face, I was feeling something warm radiation on my face coming from that direction. I touched it and yes, it was really hot there.
Also, coincidence or not, when it’s hot, the system also suffers from slow downs. So I believe there is some CPU throttling ongoing to reduce temperature or some background process using some serious CPU power and increasing the temperature.
Is there vents at the back if the screen and if so, when really hot can ya feel air pushing out?
I'm wondering if a fan is not working. If this hotness is not normal , I definitely want it addressed cuz over time it will lead to premature failure on components inside there.
As I said , some ppl say they don't feel massive heat there.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
117 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've reserved a 40 and was hoping that I could put the 18" wheels on but keep the MSport with adaptive suspension pkg (that require 19" wheels here in the US). I'd rather have the 18" wheels for the better range yet have the adaptive suspension for the handling. Here in the US the 19" wheels drops the EPA range by 20 miles. The fact that you could order a 50 w/ adaptive suspension (included) and 18" wheels is just what I was looking for.

I test drove a 40 w/MSport on Friday and found I could drift a bit even with traction control on if I hit the "velocity selector" (a term from my GS1200 m/c days) as I made a 90 degree turn at low speeds. Woohoo!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here comes the DAY 2 update, some answers to questions posted, and some questions of my own to other owners.

@XtBimmer - there are no vents at the back of the infotainment screen, at least none that I can feel around with my hand or see from the outside in. A way I found to cool the infotainment is to blow the cold air from the top vents (sometimes I actually prefer that instead of front blowing vents, especially on extreme hot days extreme cold airco isn't nice, the top vent solves this and most likely the infotainment overheating). So a possible solution found.

@Reivax & @Doc Olives - interior pics attached. Personally I am totally in love with this Sensatec & alcantara combo. It's free, it looks and feels great, and most likely it will be very durable.

@kindofblue - you might want to check some "winter" sets, these might come with 18"s. In Europe in some countries the M50 does come with 18" instead of 19" as standard. On one side - kind of a cheapo move by BMW, on another side - in case of range priority this is actually quite useful. Also tire replacement is cheaper and 18"s are more widely available.

Now for the actual updates of today:

First road trip. Drove from Amsterdam to Arnhem and back (and some detours) - total ~190km driven, 110-140kmh "autobahn" (if Dutch snelweg can be called that), depending on max allowed speed and speed traps. 24-27c today, very very hot for Netherlands. Still no wind. Average mileage was 17.8kwh! Drive modes: mix of Eco Pro & Comfort. What I find is that this car doesn't lose efficiency much up to ~120kmh, much unlike my previously owned iX3. Also, the regen on M50 is so strong, that if you play it well, you recover most of the acceleration bursts on recuperation (you have to time it well, so you don't engage actual breaks to traffic in front or stoplights). Meaning you can have fun, and you recover most of the used up electricity right after. Obviously this will not work for just high speed autobahn. But it works in any kind of acceleration burst / overtake moments, just to get back into traffic right after.

Another HPC session, this time from 8% to 75% at a 300kW charger (FastNed), total time 30 min and 40 seconds. I stopped here as going beyond wouldn't be something you'd do on a road trip (unless having dinner). Here are some reference points:
  • 9% 200.1kW
  • 12% 204.3kW
  • 14% 207kW
  • 17% 198kW
  • 20% 183kW
  • 26% 169.2kW
  • 31% 161.9kW
  • 37% 141.4kW
  • 42% 124.2kW
  • 49% 105.8kW
  • 53% 96.7kW
  • 61% 83.4kW
  • 65% 79.1kW
  • 72% 72.4kW
  • 75% 65.9kW
What's interesting that I was able to hit 207kW peak at 14%. What's disappointing is that I had ~170kW at 43% yesterday at Ionity and today when reaching 42% I was already at 124.2kW! This could mean that Ionity is the way to go, or it could mean that the battery does overheat and there is no way to sustain a high charge rate for long. The difference of almost 50kW (170 - 124.2) is rather huge, so I will be retesting this soon. The weather was ~21c still, so no cold gating and I did navigate to the HPC charger through in-car nav today (not so much yesteraday to Ionity)

Actual questions to the audience:

- How do you disable the right mirror pointing to the curb when reversing? I remember on my iX3 and previous iDrive 7 cars there was an options somewhere to disable this, but I cannot find it on the iDrive8. Basically, I want my right mirror to just stay level and not adjust downwards to point to the curb (super annoying).

- I've booked (so fully paid and activated) the high-beam assist through BMW Connected, the car shows the option, when trying to install it goes into infotainment restart and upon restarting proceeds a bit with installation then says "failed", please retry later. I first thought maybe its my low SOC, so I charged the car and retried. I also thought maybe it can't make connection to the server, so I made sure I wasn't in a garage and had connectivity (other BMW services worked). Totally puzzled. I tried about 5 times in total then just gave up.

Interior Pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
For the right mirror pointing down in reverse deactivation you must move the selector from witch you select with mirror to adjust (located on the door panel handle).You must move this selector from left (driver mirrior) to right then the mirror stays in the same position when you back up.

Now a question from me :).Is the Spotify app already installed when you receive the car? or you have to install it after you configure your profile and add the car to your in my bmw app.

·
Registered
'21 Tesla MY LR, 2017 Volt
117 Posts
For the right mirror pointing down in reverse deactivation you must move the selector from witch you select with mirror to adjust (located on the door panel handle).You must move this selector from left (driver mirrior) to right then the mirror stays in the same position when you back up.

Now a question from me :).Is the Spotify app already installed when you receive the car? or you have to install it after you configure your profile and add the car to your in my bmw app.
I saw the spotify app on the demo car I drove on Friday.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks! Will try the mirror thingy tomorrow, hope this solves it indeed.
Regarding Spotify - yes it comes pre-installed (at least my car has it, it is also separately available in the BMW car menu), but it is also available again in the CarPlay (which I prefer). CarPlay actually allows for a variety of music apps - AppleMusic, Spotify and many others.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts