BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
I think a former poster who was one of the first to receive an M50 provided his analysis of the driving modes. He claimed some measurements showing that the Eco-Pro accelerator power curve was adjusted to have more play at the top, i.e. softer acceleration, than at the bottom of the pedal range. Same power availability overall though as comfort.

My read of the manual does seem clear that Eco-Pro just adjusts some systems and is silent on power delivery.

I am interested in this because I am debating on whether I will do my initial drive back from the PC in Eco-Pro or Comfort. I figure 600 miles at the speed limit in Comfort mode should be a good break in for the car. Then when I get home I can try out the fun stuff.
Reminds me of a question I’ve been meaning to ask… what’s the “break-in” on an EV?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Avoid full throttle? Does this include the stevedores who shuttle our cars at the ports? 🥴 o_O:rolleyes::unsure:

·
Registered
2015 i3 Rex, i4 M50 Spartanburg PC delivery 8/4/22 traded in Volvo XC40 EV
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
More details on the Spartanburg PC delivery. They do about 6 to 8 cars every day, only two i cars. The hotel shuttle leaves at 7.40. At 8 there is a 30 minute class followed by a 90 minutes driving experience. We had two groups. My group did emergency braking first, their mini racetrack next where you can get up to about 60 mph and the skip pad last. The first exercises I did in a M440i the other i4 got another one. The skip pad we did in the instructors M340i. Below are some pictures.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Sky

Automotive parking light Cloud Wheel Land vehicle Tire

Cloud Sky Tree Monoplane Grass

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Worth it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
At 10 half of the people do the off roading in an X car and the i4 people take delivery of their car. They have two bays where they charge them overnight to 100%.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

The delivery guy was very detailed. I tried very hard not to interrupt him as they was done new information sprinkled in. He did learn a few things from me as well. At noon there is a 1 hour lunch break in a nice cafeteria.
At one we did an off road course in a X3 M40. Pretty cool what those cars can do.
Sky Cloud Street light Plant Road surface

Tire Sky Wheel Car Vehicle

Car Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle

This took about 20 minutes followed about a tour of the X3 assemble line. The plant is very cool but no pictures allowed. We were done around 2.30pm. I choose to get on my way. Others went to the museum on their on time.
In summary it was a great experience and I think I would do it again, it is definetly worth the extra wait.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Last post for today. To get back to Pittsburgh I had four charging stops. Only picked EA since they a free and the best network in my mind based on my experience last year with my Volvo. The charging speed of the i4 is as advertised holds 200kw until around 25%, goes down to 165kw at 30%, 135kw at 40%, 115kw at 50%, 95kw at 60%, 85kw at 70%, 65kw at 80% and 50kW at 90%. The EA screen shows you how much you would have to pay but at the end they give you a discount for the same amount.

Vehicle Car Television Automotive design Output device

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Vehicle cover Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Plant

·
Registered
Ordered: '23 i4 M50 Portimao Metallic Blue/Cognac Garage: '16 Audi S5
332 Posts
Could you post your efficiency numbers for the trip? Be great to see your charging information as well. Very nice. Thanks again for the updates.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Worth it?
Definitely. The valet parking fixed kind of “helped” me out as my dealer delivery car would had waited at the Baltimore VPC longer. I did my delivery two weeks after the fix and might lost a week compared to the dealer delivery.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Could you post your efficiency numbers for the trip? Be great to see your charging information as well. Very nice. Thanks again for the updates.
The My BMW app keeps track of charging. I had 31.8kw/100miles which is amazing considering I drove most of the time 75 or 80mph. My Volvo took at least 40kw/100mikes. 4x EA charging sessions. The one at 0 was a failed charger not sure why the address is different considering I moved right to the next one. Long day.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Gadget Multimedia

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Circle

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
One more comment about EA charging I really enjoy talking to fellow EA “geeks”. Yesterday the chargers were mostly empty. Talked to an ID4 1st edition owner who admired my car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
One other interesting info my i4 had 12 miles on it and the “since factory” consumption was 60kw. However I am not surprised the X3 Assembly line had some test stations on rollers where they test those cars all the way to top speed following some sequence. Interesting to watch.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
More stuff. This is a strictly personal opinion/ observation. I disabled Apple Car play since I actually like the BMW OS much better. I use the BMW navigation which is a must for charging preconditioning, I am OK with the BMW Spotify and must importantly I love the fact that I can connect two phones at the same time. I always had to switch between my work phone and my personal phone in previous cars, the BMW allows at least two phones. Doesn’t matter when a call comes in or goes out which phone it is.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
One more post about there good stuff, I did my first launch control this morning, this car goes to 100 mph like most cars go to 60. Wow. As seen on YouTube the car shakes a little bit, there is a little tire spin and of it goes. On my drive back from Spartanburg I took it from 80 to the max for a second and slammed the brakes to get me back into legal speeds, even I was in EcoPro it only took a few seconds to get there. Like any German car it drives like on rails, and there is no sound. I believe this is one of the main differences between the i4 and a Tesla 3. It drives very stable at high speeds. I know the Tesla allows a higher speed but who cares.

I grew up in Germany and driving on the Autobahn I miss the most. I would had loved to do European delivery.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,541 Posts
Is that not the whole point of 'ConnectedDrive'?

• Haha
Reactions: ssh
21 - 38 of 38 Posts