BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So first drive was fun. The car is amazingly agile - you just think about the movement you want and it doesn't just move, it jumps into the place you want it to be. Even in Comfort mode. And the "jerk" is not too bad on the people inside, much more comfortable than expected. The screen is a huge upgrade from the previous cars - it is larger, has smaller bezels and is closer to both driver and the passenger and the resolution and brightness is much better than before. It really does not come across as well in wide lens videos. Need to get the Fermata running to get use of that screen while charging :D

Did a quick drive yesterday. 1 hour each way, half on Autobahn, half local roads and a bit in city. About 100 km each way. On the way there was driving 180 km/h cruise control most of the time (when not blocked by speed limits or traffic), on the way back pushing the "go" pedal more, including going to Vmax of 226 km/h for a minute or two. Total energy spent - about 50% of the battery, average consumption was going between 20 and 24 kWh/100km. Then connected to an Ionity charger at 50% SOC and in 10 minutes it was back to 75% SOC going at about 110 kW. So this is close to worst case and it is still really good :)

From the negatives - a lot of cool and useful features are actually disabled by default. You really have to go trough all the settings once and enable everything to your liking. Like "Speed volume" was off - automatic volume increase as speed increases, so the apparent media volume is constant, and the comfort access feature to unlock the car on approach and lock it when walking away - also off by default. This one was particularly annoying as I did enable it in the previous car and I expected that to transfer over when I logged into the car with MyBMW account. And we are missing some kind of widget to show the current GPS altitude above sea level. Maybe there is some other place to see it.

The climate menu is a bit weird, but I guess I could get used to it. I turned it to complete automatic and then adjusted how much heat I want for my seat (low, medium, high). It does not always run the heater. It only runs it when the seat is colder than your setting tells it that you want. Basically you give the car your preferences and the car itself manages the actual details of the climate system. Interestingly it worked really well - neither I or the passenger felt the need to do any manual adjustments. It is just sometimes annoyingly turns the climate system completely off when the car is parked but you are still inside and playing with settings. But two clicks and it is back on. After all that AI it was a letdown to have to activate steering wheel heating manually, like a peasant ...

The app worked fine, was able to see the charging status remotely, set preconditioning conditions, adjust charging limit from the app. Home Assistant integration worked out of the box. Just as a general hint, it is a good idea to be setting up and playing with settings when you are outside, in an area with good cellular connection. Not in an underground garage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love that color combo (int+ext)....
859M?
03FA BMW LM Rad Aerodynamik 858M MB STD

Full coding:
01CB CO2 equipment
01CX Sport-Boost
0230 Extra package, EU-speciifc
0248 Steering wheel heater
02NH M Sport brake
02PA Locking wheel bolt
02VB Tyre pressure display
02VF Adaptive M chassis
02VL Variable sport steering
0302 Alarm system
0322 Comfort access
03FA BMW LM Rad Aerodynamik 858M MB STD
0403 Glass roof, electrical
0428 Warning triangle and first aid kit
0430 Interior/outside mirror with auto dip
0431 Interior mirror with automatic-dip
0459 Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
0493 Storage compartment package
0494 Seat heating driver/passenger
04AW Instrument panel Sensatec
04KA Fine-wood int.trim oak grain open-pored
04U9 Acoustic pedestrian protection
04UR Ambient interior light
04V1 BMW ICONICSOUNDS ELECTRIC
0534 Automatic air conditioning
0548 Kilometre speedo
05AC High-beam assistant
05AL Active Protection
05AQ Active guard plus
05AU Driving assistant professional
05DA Passenger airbag deactivation
05DM Parking assistance system
0654 DAB tuner
0688 Harman/Kardon surround sound system
06AE Teleservices
06AF Statutory emergency call
06AK Connected Drive Services
06C4 Connected Package Professional
06NX Storage tray wireless charging
06U3 BMW Live operating area Professional
06UX Entfall Touchfunktion BMW Controller
06VB Control Infotainment
0715 M Aerodynamics package
0754 M Rear spoiler
0760 High gloss shadow line
0775 Headlining anthracite
07M9 Individual option high-gloss Shadow-Line
0801 National version Germany
0851 Language version German
0879 On-board literature, German
08R9 Refrigerant R1234yf
08TF Active pedestrian protection
08TR Decoding additional functions
A050 50 Ah AGM battery

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,978 Posts
So first drive was fun. The car is amazingly agile - you just think about the movement you want and it doesn't just move, it jumps into the place you want it to be. Even in Comfort mode. And the "jerk" is not too bad on the people inside, much more comfortable than expected. The screen is a huge upgrade from the previous cars - it is larger, has smaller bezels and is closer to both driver and the passenger and the resolution and brightness is much better than before. It really does not come across as well in wide lens videos. Need to get the Fermata running to get use of that screen while charging :D

Did a quick drive yesterday. 1 hour each way, half on Autobahn, half local roads and a bit in city. About 100 km each way. On the way there was driving 180 km/h cruise control most of the time (when not blocked by speed limits or traffic), on the way back pushing the "go" pedal more, including going to Vmax of 226 km/h for a minute or two. Total energy spent - about 50% of the battery, average consumption was going between 20 and 24 kWh/100km. Then connected to an Ionity charger at 50% SOC and in 10 minutes it was back to 75% SOC going at about 110 kW. So this is close to worst case and it is still really good :)

From the negatives - a lot of cool and useful features are actually disabled by default. You really have to go trough all the settings once and enable everything to your liking. Like "Speed volume" was off - automatic volume increase as speed increases, so the apparent media volume is constant, and the comfort access feature to unlock the car on approach and lock it when walking away - also off by default. This one was particularly annoying as I did enable it in the previous car and I expected that to transfer over when I logged into the car with MyBMW account. And we are missing some kind of widget to show the current GPS altitude above sea level. Maybe there is some other place to see it.

The climate menu is a bit weird, but I guess I could get used to it. I turned it to complete automatic and then adjusted how much heat I want for my seat (low, medium, high). It does not always run the heater. It only runs it when the seat is colder than your setting tells it that you want. Basically you give the car your preferences and the car itself manages the actual details of the climate system. Interestingly it worked really well - neither I or the passenger felt the need to do any manual adjustments. It is just sometimes annoyingly turns the climate system completely off when the car is parked but you are still inside and playing with settings. But two clicks and it is back on. After all that AI it was a letdown to have to activate steering wheel heating manually, like a peasant ...

The app worked fine, was able to see the charging status remotely, set preconditioning conditions, adjust charging limit from the app. Home Assistant integration worked out of the box. Just as a general hint, it is a good idea to be setting up and playing with settings when you are outside, in an area with good cellular connection. Not in an underground garage.
How is the steering wheel heater? On my wife’s Sonata Hybrid Ltd, it’s very warm and gets warm very quickly which is really nice. On my Audi e-Tron it’s really not great and takes a long time to warm. It’s just ok at best. So I’m wondering if that’s a characteristic of German cars or just the way it is in Audis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

I've ordered the same color and I must say in your picture it looks amazing.
It did not look that good in some of the review videos. Seems it depends a lot on the lighting.

Regarding:
as a general hint, it is a good idea to be setting up and playing with settings when you are outside, in an area with good cellular connection. Not in an underground garage.
1. Is it possible to connect the car to a wifi network e.g. when it is parked in the underground car park?
2. I see you did not order Personal Esim. Does it mean the car is really "only" using 4G instead of 5g mobile network?

I cannot wait to get mine delivered.

Kind regards,
Weave

·
Registered
224 Posts
So first drive was fun. Th......
Congrats. I got some questions too. When you activate the pre-heating/pre-cooling of the cabin with the app, which runs for 30 mins, can you set a temperature somewhere? I can start it by the app immediately or set a time when I plan to drive off. But I can't set the temperature. And I don't think it takes the one set in the car. As it was cold outside and I came to the car it was almost hot inside, so that the climate started to cool down when I drove off (temperature set in the car was 22 degrees celsius with outside temperature of around 6 degrees). It didn't make any sense. Pre-heat like hell and then cool down while driving:unsure:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is no way to connect the car to a WiFi network.

Personal eSIM is a separate cellular connection. The build-in eSIM of the car and the cellular module is the same regardless of if you take the eSIM option or not. Think of the Personal eSIM options as a an extra 5G WiFi router build into the car and using its powerful antennas. It is for customer use only, not for car itself.

I don't see any way to specify the pre-heating temperature. There is a bit of a difference between "pre-heat now" and "be ready for departure at 17:00" - the pre-heat now does not know when you will actually need the car, so it has to heat it up as fast as possible, which means using hotter air. When you set you car climate to 22C it does not mean that the air coming out of the vents is 22C, it means that the car will be blowing hot/warm or cold/cool air out fo the vents until the cabin air temperature sensors register 22C and then will keep blowing whatever is needed to sustain that. And during that procedure overshoots are part of the process.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personal eSIM is a separate cellular connection. The build-in eSIM of the car and the cellular module is the same regardless of if you take the eSIM option or not. Think of the Personal eSIM options as a an extra 5G WiFi router build into the car and using its powerful antennas. It is for customer use only, not for car itself.
Thanks! That's very good information. The BMW configurator indicates that the car is only 5g capable if you order this feature.
So I was afraid it would only use 4G for the internal access like map updates etc if you don't have personal eSim.

It's a shame though that you cannot connect to a wifi network. The remote app will be completely useless if you park underground :cautious:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks. I thought that the car will heat up to the 22C when I start the pre-heating. But apparently there is a difference when setting a time and starting now. Will try it. This car is packed with features and I didn't had the time to try them all out. I also have to get used to the autonomous parking and figure out how he "sees" the empty spots.
But with every day I drive it I love it more and more.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So, it is finally my turn as well to get the "future machine" in my hands.
View attachment 8028
Is this really Sunset Orange? What has happened to the config. colors? The first picture shows how it looks today in the config, the second how my virtual brochure lookes like.

Attachments

·
Registered
I4M50
1,046 Posts
Is this really Sunset Orange? What has happened to the config. colors? The first picture shows how it looks today in the config, the second how my virtual brochure lookes like.
aigarius car is Aventurine Red - your screenshots are Sunset Orange

Reactions: aigarius

·
Registered
I4M50
1,046 Posts

The negatives were actually only inital startup routines - I can live with spending some minutes on that ;-)

Red + beige is really a nice combo (y)

Please add more pictures both on exterior and interior (I have also ordered canberra beige sensatec)

Reactions: kipsate

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car can actively stop at a red light in Driver Assist Professional mode. My previous BMW could not do that, it could only warn you if you were running a red light. When standing at a red light (regardless if you are driving manually or in cruise mode) it also shows a graphic of the traffic signal with its light lit up in red, just in case it is hard to see the traffic light from your sitting position. It takes a second to detect light change and it can fail if there is too much sun in the camera, but it is new functionality.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
red light detection is not available in all countries (eg in France) :(
I've driven quite a bit in France and I've noticed that too 😉

1 - 20 of 68 Posts