BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am questioning my pending order spec (can still change). I did not spec the $200 wireless charger. Does that mean that I will not be able to use my phone as a key? My understanding is that you have to put the phone on the wireless charger to actually drive the vehicle. Does anyone know if that function is lost without the wireless charger? I dont care about wireless charging, but would want to be able to just carry my phone as the key. I’d pay $200 for the latter, but not for the former. Thanks

· Registered
37 Posts
I am questioning my pending order spec (can still change). I did not spec the $200 wireless charger. Does that mean that I will not be able to use my phone as a key? My understanding is that you have to put the phone on the wireless charger to actually drive the vehicle. Does anyone know if that function is lost without the wireless charger? I dont care about wireless charging, but would want to be able to just carry my phone as the key. I’d pay $200 for the latter, but not for the former. Thanks
I think they are two separate things. The phone key should come as standard.
My x5 does not have a wireless charger but the phone key still works.

· Registered
i4 M50 Sapphire ordered 1/2022
398 Posts
You don’t need the wireless charger to use digital key. The car will come standard with the NFC pad in place of the charging pad. Digital key plus would be preferred as you would not have to touch your phone to the door handle. Only available on ix currently

• Helpful
Reactions: ssh

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
It does not mean that. There is still an NFC reader in the pad when there isn't a wireless charger.

Reactions: MzTeaze

· Registered
364 Posts
Apparently for G20 LCI you do lose digital nfc reader if you do not have wireless charger. I would suggest checking the configurator first. You never know BMW keeps changing these small things to save cost or due to chip shortage. As far as I know i4 comes as standard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts