BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My i4 edrive40 being delivered in March and want to be ready. Been going back and forth on getting a wall charger or just putting in a NEMA 14-50 outlet to use the mobile wall charger that be charging at 9.6kw. Does anyone have the specs of the BMW wall charger? I was thinking about getting the Pulsar Plus 48 (11.5kw) as well...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TIA

·
Registered
185 Posts
From the manual
The BMW Wallbox must meet the following technical requirements:
▷ Three-phase charging power of at least 11 kW.
▷ Charge current intensity of 16 A.

I already have a wallbox, capable of providing 22kW of juice on three-phase 400v, I will reuse this one for the i4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@M3HNGRY - Congrats on what looks like an early delivery! I am in NJ, so it may not be the same for you, but per (local) electrical code, if I want to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, the breaker for this outlet would need to be GFCI protected. I am not an electrician so I cannot explain it, but it looks that several EV charger manufacturers explicitly advice against GFCI protection, as they will trip them very frequently.

Therefore, I decided against using the "Flexible Fast Charger" (or any other EV charger) with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Instead, I'll have my EV charger hardwired. When hardwiring the EV charger, no GFCI is needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@M3HNGRY - Congrats on what looks like an early delivery! I am in NJ, so it may not be the same for you, but per (local) electrical code, if I want to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, the breaker for this outlet would need to be GFCI protected. I am not an electrician so I cannot explain it, but it looks that several EV charger manufacturers explicitly advice against GFCI protection, as they will trip them very frequently.

Therefore, I decided against using the "Flexible Fast Charger" (or any other EV charger) with a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Instead, I'll have my EV charger hardwired. When hardwiring the EV charger, no GFCI is needed.
We have that same requirement here as Garage outlets need to be GCFI. I will be going hardwire due to this as well. Which charger are you planning to get? There is no specs on the New BMW Wall Charger that I can find :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have that same requirement here as Garage outlets need to be GCFI. I will be going hardwire due to this as well. Which charger are you planning to get? There is no specs on the New BMW Wall Charger that I can find :(
I am leaning towards the ChargePoint Home Flex. They have two versions (NEMA 6-50 plug and NEMA 14-50) but if you plan to hardwire you can buy either. Both look currently on backorder of about 3-4 weeks however (according to the ChargePoint website). Depending on the capacity of your electrical panel, when hardwiring this EV charger, and when using a 60A circuit breaker rating, you can get to the maximum AC charging rate for your i4 (11kW). I believe with a BMW Wallbox or Flexible Fast Charger plugged into a (US 240v) outlet, the maximum is 9.6 kW.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am leaning towards the ChargePoint Home Flex. They have two versions (NEMA 6-50 plug and NEMA 14-50) but if you plan to hardwire you can buy either. Both look currently on backorder of about 3-4 weeks however (according to the ChargePoint website). Depending on the capacity of your electrical panel, when hardwiring this EV charger, and when using a 60A circuit breaker rating, you can get to the maximum AC charging rate for your i4 (11kW), which is not possible with the BMW Wallbox (max of 9.6kW).
That's the new BMW Wallbox charger ($600) that hasn't been release right? Have you look into the Pulsar Plus 48 this one look promising as well...

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's the new BMW Wallbox charger ($600) that hasn't been release right? Have you look into the Pulsar Plus 48 this one look promising as well...
I believe so. Based on an instruction manual I found on the bmw.ca website, the Gen 3.0 Wallbox is also limited to 40A which translates into a max AC output power of 9.6kW. The manual is in Chinese (don't ask me why), but the pictures on the different dip switch settings clearly show the max setting of 40A.

Thanks for mentioning the Pulsar Plus 48. Indeed, this one (when hardwired) will also give you 11.5kW, which you'll need to get to the i4's maximum AC charging rate of 11 kW.

·
Registered
122 Posts
@M3HNGRY & @reddy_kilowatt - see the discussion here: i4 AC home charging in the US @MinhSATx and I discussed the differences between the Chargepoint and Wallbox options. I did go ahead and already had the Wallbox Pulsar Plus installed, hardwired. I chose it for the same reasons I noted in the discussion. I also chose the Wallbox given the reviews from Tom Moloughney on YouTube. He does a great job providing an in depth review of each Level 2 charger for at home use. I’d recommend watching his videos too (although he wouldn’t obviously have the BMW one).

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would invite you all to look at the Juicebox 48.
Full featured, Wi-Fi enabled, app, google and Alexa enabled, 11.5 kw charging etc.
This particular model is currently out of stock, but we have time for it to be restocked before needing it.
If you want the 9.6 kw version, its available on amazon or Costco now.

If you want all of the above plus Bluetooth, in case your charger is somewhere that can't access wifi, consider this one:

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
125 Posts
Great info guys.

I have a 60A line currently in my garage and I'm undecided if I want to spend extra for a wallbox for just slightly more juice to charge to 11.5kW and not be limited by the NEMA14-50 outlet at 9.6kW. Also, I'm trying to see if I can get a 100A line myself, just to plan for the future in the event that 80A @ 240v (19.2kW) charging becomes a thing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From the manual
The BMW Wallbox must meet the following technical requirements:
▷ Three-phase charging power of at least 11 kW.
▷ Charge current intensity of 16 A.

I already have a wallbox, capable of providing 22kW of juice on three-phase 400v, I will reuse this one for the i4.
i think the i4 is limited to 11kW three-phase?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great info guys.

I have a 60A line currently in my garage and I'm undecided if I want to spend extra for a wallbox for just slightly more juice to charge to 11.5kW and not be limited by the NEMA14-50 outlet at 9.6kW. Also, I'm trying to see if I can get a 100A line myself, just to plan for the future in the event that 80A @ 240v (19.2kW) charging becomes a thing.
You can do it today but it's costly. There are DC converters out there.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for the reference to Tom Moloughney. I just went through all of his reviews.
Chargepoint Flex charger, Juicebox, and Pulsar Wall box. are all near equal.
Here are the few important differences I got from those reviews.
  • If you live in a cold climate the chargepoint had the most flexible hose in the cold.​
  • If you are in a location where you don't have wi-fi the only smart charger with bluetooth is the Pulsar.​
  • The juice box is the only one that had a real locking mechanism to avoid theft. Important when you aren't mounting it on private property, such as multifamily dwellings, businesses, or other places where there is no security, or shared parking lots.​

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here are the few important differences I got from those reviews.
  • If you live in a cold climate the chargepoint had the most flexible hose in the cold.​
  • If you are in a location where you don't have wi-fi the only smart charger with bluetooth is the Pulsar.​
  • The juice box is the only one that had a real locking mechanism to avoid theft. Important when you aren't mounting it on private property, such as multifamily dwellings, businesses, or other places where there is no security, or shared parking lots.​
Haha, it looks we were both spending our afternoons in a similar way. Based on @teamzans 's recommendation I was also reviewing these YouTube vids. Good summary @dspevack !
I wanted to add some other differences
  • The Chargepoint Home Flex cannot power share, unlike the Pulsar and the Juicebox - an important consideration only if you are planning to install 2 EV chargers on the same circuit.
  • Something not covered in the vids, but based on my own research: Even though all three brands are capable to participate in demand response programs, they may not all be included in their incentive programs. For example here in NJ, my utility company includes ChargePoint and Enel X Juicebox chargers in the incentive program, but Pulsar (for reasons unclear to me) is not included.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Haha, it looks we were both spending our afternoons in a similar way. Based on @teamzans 's recommendation I was also reviewing these YouTube vids. Good summary @dspevack !
I wanted to add some other differences
  • The Chargepoint Home Flex cannot power share, unlike the Pulsar and the Juicebox - an important consideration only if you are planning to install 2 EV chargers on the same circuit.
  • Something not covered in the vids, but based on my own research: Even though all three brands are capable to participate in demand response programs, they may not all be included in their incentive programs. For example here in NJ, my utility company includes ChargePoint and Enel X Juicebox chargers in the incentive program, but Pulsar (for reasons unclear to me) is not included.
Glad those videos helped! Yeah, that first bullet point about capability to power share was the difference maker for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any idea how long the cable is on the included charger? I have a 14-50 plug already mounted on the wall for my Tesla, but the Tesla has the charging port on the left side of the car, versus the right on the i4. I'm hoping there's enough cable to reach. I really don't want to have to re-wire that outlet, as it is already a good distance from my panel. It doesn't look very long in the picture, but also doesn't provide any specs. (Note, US)

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
125 Posts
Great info guys.

Apparently 100A outlet is yesterdays news whe 150A is the latest rage...

Anyone have $20,000 to spare for a 28.8kWh home system? I mean, I make a decent living but that's 3 great 2 week European trips.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Apparently 100A outlet is yesterdays news whe 150A is the latest rage...

Anyone have $20,000 to spare for a 28.8kWh home system? I mean, I make a decent living but that's 3 great 2 week European trips.
@i4_Loe, you may want to re-check with the car's capability. Currently, it has an AC circuit only capable of 11kW on 240V (50A) bi-phased, no tri-phased in the US. Anything higher has to be DC, and the car can accommodate indeed 205kW peak. 19.2kW on 240VAC is not supported by the car, and I'm pretty sure it's hardware, not OTA software.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I spoke with Juicebox today about their 48A charger which they say on the website is not currently available.
They said that due to the chip shortage is will not be available til March, which is the same timeframe that BMW has given for the next version of their wall charger.

·
Registered
2004 Infiniti G35 - 83k miles, all me
36 Posts
I have a +chargepoint- level 2 charger, still in the box, on the floor next to me, just waiting for the electrician to come install it... and I don't even have a production number yet. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts