BMW i4 Forum banner

Is your Assisted Driving Plus feature working (both steering wheel lights illuminated solid green)

Poll: i4 Assisted Driving Plus - Working or Not? [USA]

21K views 274 replies 30 participants last post by  gsbaker 
#1 · (Edited)
For those with the Driver Assistance Pro Package (DAPP), can you please confirm if the Assisted Driving Plus feature (aka Extended Traffic Jam Assistant) is working properly on your vehicle? This is described in the User Manual (BMW Owner's Manuals - BMW USA) on page 217. For the purpose of this poll, "Working" means you've successfully engaged Assisted Driving Plus with both steering wheel lights illuminated solid green and hands free driving under 40mph (no nags to touch the wheel from the car).
Please respond "Working" or "Not Working", and the software version of your vehicle.

Thanks!

#6 ·
It’s supposed to prompt you when conditions are met, and then you press the “Mode” button to select the “Assisted Plus” mode. Steering wheel indicators will illuminate solid Green while active. See pg 217 of manual.
What is the software version on your car?

#10 ·
Next time try activating Assisted Driving Mode during stop and go free way traffic; it's where Assisted Driving Plus kicks in automatically and as a result, most useful in that setting. Driving on surface streets with Assisted Driving Plus doesn't really make much sense, so if you're trying to get it to work there it's likely going to disappoint.
It was already activated it keeps asking to keep my hands on the wheel so I assumed traffic jam assist wasn’t activated.

#11 ·
It was already activated it keeps asking to keep my hands on the wheel so I assumed traffic jam assist wasn’t activated.
The manual says you have to select the mode when the offer shows up. See page 217 or so.

• Helpful
Reactions: Elle BMW
#20 ·
Traffic Jam Assist isn’t working for me for sure. I encountered a few instances during assisted driving never saw an option to enable traffic jam mode. Honestly it works pretty well just holding my hand on the wheel. Otherwise, you’d have to go from relaxing completely in traffic jam to remembering to put the hands on the wheel. I wonder why some of us can’t get this to work. The sensor isn’t blocking with steering wheel either and even took off my sunglasses still no luck. I hope it’s not broken.

#27 ·
Good point. I got lazy removing it. I should remove it and test again if there is a camera inside the screen.

#30 ·
There’s a very long list of prerequisites. Might want to go through them all in the manual.

#33 ·
Agreed.

But weird that these folks can't even activate it after several attempts. It's worked for me each time I am in traffic on the freeway and very simple (and neat) to use.

Looking at the requirements again, it does use the screen sensors as part of the system.

#32 ·
Here’s the list (page 218):

Functional requirements

▷ The functional requirements of the Steering Assistant are fulfilled.

Functional requirements, refer to page 214.

▷ The Steering Assistant is active.

▷ The function is only available on certain street types, e.g. freeways.

▷ Driving on a road without pedestrians or cyclists.

▷ Sufficient lane width.

▷ Lane markings and a vehicle driving ahead are detected.

▷ Speed less than approx. 40 mph/60 km/h.

▷ The Driver Attention Camera in the instrument cluster detects that the driver is paying attention to the surrounding traffic.

▷ The function must be available in the country in which the vehicle is driven.

Reactions: cboodts
#34 ·
Does lane keep assist with steering intervention needs to be turned on? I have this off but should not matter though, I remembered driving back from dealer it was turned on but traffic jam assist didn’t work. I checked the requirement everything condition was met. I hope this isn’t another recall coming up.

#36 ·
Steering assistant needs to be active (see the list, above).

#35 ·
I wonder if there is another factor: sunglasses? I use polarized sunglasses, and it has never kicked in. Maybe the car can’t see my eyes so gives up.

#42 ·
Originally I thought mine was 07/2022.33
I don't think it's software related as it was working with the previous 03/2022.52 version.

I tried to trigger it today but there wasn't traffic on the highway during lunch time. Will try again soon!

#45 ·
Those of you that have got this to work does the face sensor leds look like this. It looks like right side has missing led maybe it’s normal? Any phone camera will show them.

View attachment 14748
I don’t see those LEDs at all. Mine is just blanks there. I haven’t been able to get assist plus work either.

#44 ·
Assisted Driving Plus doesn’t seem to work in this video it starts around 4min, it functions exactly like how it is for my car I had to keep touching steering wheel during traffic. I’m a bit confused since i4 manual shows entirely different thing with an icon with 2 cars which isn’t in iX demo I also didn’t see him pressmode button to switch to Assisted Driving plus.

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Document

#56 ·
I thought about it some more - it's probably a bad name that BMW chose - it's too close which makes it confusing. They call it Traffic Jam assist in various places, so they should at least keep that consistent.

I looked at my package list and saw:

5AR Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways

I don't understand the limited access highways part...

#57 ·
I don't understand the limited access highways part...
It only works on known limited access highways, not on city streets or country highways. Have to be limited access and well-marked.

This is the reason there's an extra mode: this mode is NOT trustworthy above 40mph, so they have to leave it then. The mode shift is to make sure the driver understands when they put it into that mode.

Driver assistance isn't even close to capable of driving the car on its own, yet, in any car.

• Love
Reactions: rjwc and Magicrat
#58 ·
I tested out Adaptive Cruise on local road it still works. Pretty weird..when I reach a traffic light with car in front me it will stop as if it’s on freeway and keeps going with set speed limit. Of course it will not recognize stop signs or traffic lights.

#60 ·
Adaptive cruise works anywhere there are lane marks or a vehicle in front of you. Extended traffic jam feature is limited to certain highways since car does not require you to hold steering wheel.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjwc, Feeb and ssh
#61 ·
I am not clear on the definition limited access highways. So far I have tested on I495 and it does not work. I am wondering if BMW considers I95 as a limited access freeway and 495, 395, 695 etc not.

#62 ·
Those should all be... depends on markings, too, and whether or not there are other cars "visible" to the system.

Reactions: Sesh Kami
#64 ·
It wasn't limited access? In that it had stop lights, driveways, cross streets entering without an exit interchange? That's shocking!

#66 ·
If you have ADP working could you briefly record the attention camera video with your phone? Please do pay attention to the road I did take a video while DAPP was active so relatively safe. The leds don’t seem to be turned on with DAPP that probably explains ADP not working.
This was while driving with DAPP on.

I took a pic while car was parked LEDs are on. Maybe sunlight was too bright while driving and not showing the leds.
Gadget Vehicle Display device Personal luxury car Multimedia

#122 ·
Heh, that was kind of cool there how in your GIF it first identified that motorcyclist to be a car but then corrected itself as it passed by. It only gets better from there.

#67 ·
I called Genius today as Assistant Plus not working in my car. Genius asked me if I have Assistant Plus option enabled in iDrive. She walked me through the settings and I don’t see it in the menu. Does any of you see more settings under Assisted Driving? I see only one option as below. Note: I am running sw version 07/2022.30
Output device Computer Gadget Personal computer Flat panel display

Reactions: 9barsleft
#72 ·
Driving assistant plus is working , but not as you describe it. Once you are in a queue on a highway, in Eu it works up to 30 km/h. no steady green light on the steering wheel, but stat stop works without having to have your hands on the steering wheel. If you travel for more at a certain given time at a constant speed even under 30 km/h, it asks you to touch the steering wheel. Also i. a queue in certain eu countries the car is creating the emergency lane. depends if you are in the left lane it steers left, if you are in the right line it steers far right. In Us having a lot f lanes on highways i think this feature might not be available. For us it’s a setting in Assisted Driving Plus……

#86 ·
I found this from another site so if you have TJA working then you guys have this option? No wonder it doesn’t work for some of us it’s missing in my car.
I don't think because the option isn't there that we can blanket assume it is the reason for your particular issue. I don't have that option either but clearly it works. Do you know what locale and iDrive software version, for the car in the former image? That information is critical because not all locales/regions are configured the same as ours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.