BMW i4 Forum banner

Is the i4 electric four-door coupe your first BMW?

• Yes

Votes: 97 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 109 52.9%

[Poll] Is the i4 electric four-door coupe your first BMW?

10K views 67 replies 45 participants last post by  vestokes_1787 
#1 ·
Curious to see what everyone's vehicle ownership history is like.
Vote on the poll above and comment below.

Kicking things off...
No, this will be my 4th BMW, after owning a few 3-series sedans.

#2 ·
It would be my first BMW. In the past I have always had practical cars with good fuel economy. The i4 meets both of those requirements.

The real question is buy or lease?

I have never done a lease on a car before but if we can apply the $7500 tax credit on the lease (you can on the i3). Leasing the i4 seems to be a good option. If I do go with the i4 M50 I think I would lease it.

#50 ·
It would be my first BMW. In the past I have always had practical cars with good fuel economy. The i4 meets both of those requirements.

The real question is buy or lease?

I have never done a lease on a car before but if we can apply the $7500 tax credit on the lease (you can on the i3). Leasing the i4 seems to be a good option. If I do go with the i4 M50 I think I would lease it.
I purchased so I would have equity in the end. Otherwise its throwing money in the wind.

#16 ·
@BimmerTim

I had been looking forward to seeing more details about the upcoming Macan EV as I was really impressed with the Taycan (which was a bit out of the range I feel comfortable spending). I looked briefly at the Polestar 2 but was never really taken with that car for reasons that I can't really nail down.

I think I'm probably going to go with Portimau Blue, but will probably head to a few dealers to try to see as many of the colors/trim options in person as I can prior to orders being open.

@greensaloon

Granted I haven't test driven a Model 3, but the stories/pictures with panel gaps, loose/rattling trim, road noise etc were in aggregate enough to sway me away from them.

I would definitely be considering an ICE BMW had I not mentally committed to getting an EV. For me, the combination of having readily available EV chargers at my work and the ridiculous HP/torque on the m50 while still having some practicality as a 4-door hatchback was too good to pass up.

#17 ·
@greensaloon

Granted I haven't test driven a Model 3, but the stories/pictures with panel gaps, loose/rattling trim, road noise etc were in aggregate enough to sway me away from them.

I would definitely be considering an ICE BMW had I not mentally committed to getting an EV. For me, the combination of having readily available EV chargers at my work and the ridiculous HP/torque on the m50 while still having some practicality as a 4-door hatchback was too good to pass up.
Those same stories on the Model 3 and other Tesla's turned me away as well.
But they seem to be improving.

Have you checked what plans that companies like Electrify America have for the public charging network near you?

#19 ·
No it won't. I've ordered an i4 M50 and these were my previous bimmers:
  • 116i (F20)
  • 420d Gran Coupé (F36)
  • X1 sDrive18d (F48)
  • 330i (G20)

First three were all company cars (limited budget and unable to configure engine nor optional equipment), my current 330i is my first personal-owned car and the i4 M50 will be my second.
My parents are both BMW (and Alpina!) enthusiasts so it's not too strange for me not to look into other brands. :)

#25 ·
The i4 will be my sixth BMW:
  • 1999 E46 320Ci Coupe
  • 2002 E46 320d Sedan
  • 2006 E92 335i Coupe
  • 2007 E92 318i Touring
  • 2019 G21 330i Touring
  • 2022 G26 i4 M50
I have enjoyed MB's en Alfa's as well, but the number of BMW's has only been exceeded by the number of MX-5's. So that's what the i4 will team up with next year. Ready for the future with the i4 while at the same time sniffing petrol with the MX-5 for as long as I can :)

#26 ·
Really fun to see what people are coming from. It kinda shows that this car appeals to both the petrol heads and the practical oriented.

Judging by people’s history I’d say I’m younger than many. My first car was an E36 alpine white 318. It was a beauty. Followed by some questionable volvos and a couple of Audi A4s.
Then I bought an E61 520d about eight years ago, and I still have that today. It’s a great car and it will be really sad parting ways with it. Nothing wrong with it, but it’s gone 330k and even after tuning, 210hp is not enough.

I have had a 911 as a fun car with my neighbor for a while, but had to sell it to finance a house. but currently I have a motorcycle. Hopefully in some years I’ll be able to have both an i4 M50 and something more charming and personal. Maybe another 911. Will never be able to let go on naturally aspirated low fuel economy gasoline six cylinders.

#30 ·
Coming from Volvo world ;) never had BMW ;) even asked dealer if blinkers are standard or should I pay extra ;)
I believe I have a mid-life crisis buying a coupe and moving from family suv 😂

#31 ·
I come from Mercedes Benz for many years now, I don't know why but BMW for me was performance car which mean fragility on the motor. I was considering BMW has great car (esthetic inside and outside and cool commodities) but probably very expensive to repair. Now I am ready to move with because the electric car. They are offering what I am looking in electric car, those are by priority range, quick recharge and performance. 😊

#33 ·
Only 1 BMW before, 2008 135i. Fond memories but totaled by a collision with a deer, changed to a Fiat 124 spider just to try something weaker but much lighter, ready to go back. I'm not gonna lie though that the 5000 pounds kerb weight of the i4 M50 does scare me a bit, it is over twice the weight of my current car (2477 pounds). Previously Audi and Volvo driver.

#35 ·
The i4 will be my 8th. Favorite is my current M4 competition convertible (F83). Second best was 2008 650i.

#37 ·
I'm surprised how high the percentage is for first time BMW owners but i suppose that is partly a reflection of the current state of the EV market.

Most of my car choices have been driven by poverty, and then later, company hand me downs. I have only really chosen two cars, first a Volvo V70 and then my current car, a 14 year old E-class Merc (also an estate). I don't like SUVs and having three kids they were a natural choice. Considered a 5 series BMW when I bought the Merc but the ride was just too firm.

Was planning to keep the Merc a bit longer but saw the Polestar on Top Gear and that got me interested in the EV market. The i4 is just about a perfect fit for what I want (except like everyone I'd like the comfort of a greater range).

Reactions: dudenjen
#38 ·
I've bought more cars than I've personally owned, which sounds weird, but just refers to cars bought for the ex- or current wife. In order of purchase:

1978 4-door Chevrolet Chevette (me)
1996 Nissan 200SX-SE (me)
2002 Kia Spectra (ex-wife, I bought it, and have literally never seen this car in person, only in Google Street View)
2004 Infiniti G35 (me)
1998 Nissan Maxima (wife)
2003 Nissan Altima (wife)
2005 Nissan Altima (wife)
2012 Nissan Rogue (wife)
2013 Nissan Rogue* (wife)
2022 Tesla Model 3* (me)
2022/3 BMW i4 eDrive40 will be my first BMW

Incidentally, the Maxima, first Altima and first Rogue were each involved in zero-fault, total-loss accidents with my wife driving. Needless to say, she thinks American drivers are absolutely terrible.

* = currently in my garage

Reactions: dudenjen
#42 ·
I voted first BMW for me, but the way things are going, it could be ‘first Kia’ instead. I’ve had all ‘firsts’ in my EV life. First Tesla. First Jaguar. First Audi and next it will be/could be first BMW or first Kia or first Lucid. I honestly don’t know.

#43 ·
I've only had one BMW previously, an E46 330i 5-speed manual with the M package. It was a blast to drive. I bought it lightly used and had three problems that turned me off from BMW so much I swore I would never buy one again (because my mechanic could tell me how many miles I had on the car after each failure because they were so well known and predictable). Two out of three problems won't be an issue with an EV (cracked expansion tank and failed cooling fan each resulting in overheating car in stop and go traffic). The third was window regulator failures on three of four windows. With all of the little motors on cars these days, I hope BMW fired the guy who designed those window regulators and is designing these minor components better now (actually, I am betting on it!).

Reactions: M3HNGRY
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.