BMW i4 Forum banner

What is the status of your car? (Please update your vote when the status changes)

301 - 320 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well, I'm still at production begins, with 5 days left until the estimated completion date. Not sure if my garage is just not updating or if this seems normal.

Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
2012 Prius Plug-In
76 Posts
Well, I'm still at production begins, with 5 days left until the estimated completion date. Not sure if my garage is just not updating or if this seems normal.
Completion date for me is supposed to be 6/23. I moved to Exterior Body Assembly begins on Tuesday (6/21) and am currently in Quality Check. Either the assembly line moves at 60 mph or the My Garage updates aren't very timely. :D

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
864 Posts
By the time I got to work, it had already Dispatched From Factory.
That means it went from 154 to 190 in under 7 hours.

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle

I guess I should start thinking about ships sometime soon if I want to follow whichever ends up carrying mine. ;)

Reactions: Feeb and dudenjen

·
Registered
593 Posts
By the time I got to work, it had already Dispatched From Factory.
That means it went from 154 to 190 in under 7 hours.

View attachment 11267

I guess I should start thinking about ships sometime soon if I want to follow whichever ends up carrying mine. ;)
Still at 150......

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Wow....
Not to frustrate you even more, but here's a part of what I posted today in another thread, after a long phone call with my dealer:

Our troubles are not over yet...

I just had another very interesting talk with my dealer. My sales rep, a woman, has decided to change her career and will leave BMW. So, I got a phone call from another sales guy, the one that also helped my brother with his X3 Hybrid.

When I asked him about my status, he simply said that our troubles are not over yet. Maybe the shortage of chips is slowly being resolved, but that doesn't mean there are other issues.
The cable tree problem, for example, is still not solved. They still come from Ukraine, but from a factory where there are fewer war problems. So they are still not at full service.
There is also a factory in Algeria but this one also works at a very low rate, and there is now one in Germany itself, where they will start creating cable trees as of July 2022.
So you see, there are still delays in assembling the i4s.

Now, we all assumed that once you are at status 150, you're sort of free from all the hassle. According to our status list and timeline, it will only take a few weeks more and you should be driving your new BMW between 3-6 weeks later, unless you still have a long voyage ahead (US East, US West, Australia...), then you have an additional 4-8 weeks.

But,... and now it comes...being status 150 does not mean your car will be finished soon. No, not always guaranteed. Some car manufacturers have warehouses attached to the factory, and when trucks bring in parts from suppliers, they’re unloaded, organized, and stored until they’re needed for assembly. Other car builders, like BMW, use a different system, called JIT or just-in-time manufacturing, something we all know already. Here parts are delivered directly from the suppliers to the assembly facility as they’re needed. Both systems have pros and cons. BMW for instance, which uses the JIT system, doesn't need large storage areas for parts, but they can be more vulnerable to supply disruptions, such as when deliveries are affected by weather or other issues, like war and so on.

It is very well possible, that your car has status 15x and is being assembled, but due to the JIT system, a simple part is still missing (or all of a sudden not deliverable. Remember, parts are delivered on the fly) and your car will, in the midst of the assembly, be removed from the line and put aside. This is no joke. There are hundreds of cars in Munich, half ready, but still waiting for one or a few parts.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M Sport, Tanzanite Blue, Mocha ventilated seats
687 Posts
But what does Genius line say. Mine didn't update for several days, but the Genius line told me what stage it actually was at. They should be able to tell you something! My Garage has been hit or miss all of last week, then all of a sudden this past Tuesday it started updating regularly. It's just crazy, this entire process.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wow....
Not to frustrate you even more, but here's a part of what I posted today in another thread, after a long phone call with my dealer:

Our troubles are not over yet...

I just had another very interesting talk with my dealer. My sales rep, a woman, has decided to change her career and will leave BMW. So, I got a phone call from another sales guy, the one that also helped my brother with his X3 Hybrid.

When I asked him about my status, he simply said that our troubles are not over yet. Maybe the shortage of chips is slowly being resolved, but that doesn't mean there are other issues.
The cable tree problem, for example, is still not solved. They still come from Ukraine, but from a factory where there are fewer war problems. So they are still not at full service.
There is also a factory in Algeria but this one also works at a very low rate, and there is now one in Germany itself, where they will start creating cable trees as of July 2022.
So you see, there are still delays in assembling the i4s.

Now, we all assumed that once you are at status 150, you're sort of free from all the hassle. According to our status list and timeline, it will only take a few weeks more and you should be driving your new BMW between 3-6 weeks later, unless you still have a long voyage ahead (US East, US West, Australia...), then you have an additional 4-8 weeks.

But,... and now it comes...being status 150 does not mean your car will be finished soon. No, not always guaranteed. Some car manufacturers have warehouses attached to the factory, and when trucks bring in parts from suppliers, they’re unloaded, organized, and stored until they’re needed for assembly. Other car builders, like BMW, use a different system, called JIT or just-in-time manufacturing, something we all know already. Here parts are delivered directly from the suppliers to the assembly facility as they’re needed. Both systems have pros and cons. BMW for instance, which uses the JIT system, doesn't need large storage areas for parts, but they can be more vulnerable to supply disruptions, such as when deliveries are affected by weather or other issues, like war and so on.

It is very well possible, that your car has status 15x and is being assembled, but due to the JIT system, a simple part is still missing (or all of a sudden not deliverable. Remember, parts are delivered on the fly) and your car will, in the midst of the assembly, be removed from the line and put aside. This is no joke. There are hundreds of cars in Munich, half ready, but still waiting for one or a few parts.
I thought they only give you 150 if they have The parts for your car! I hope I’m not in that situation.

·
Registered
593 Posts
But what does Genius line say. Mine didn't update for several days, but the Genius line told me what stage it actually was at. They should be able to tell you something! My Garage has been hit or miss all of last week, then all of a sudden this past Tuesday it started updating regularly. It's just crazy, this entire process.
I’ll call tomorrow

Reactions: dudenjen

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
I thought they only give you 150 if they have The parts for your car! I hope I’m not in that situation.
I hope so too...🤞

Actually, your car is "scheduled" for production, so theoretically the parts are "foreseen " to be delivered within your production week. But when all of a sudden one item drops out, you're the peanut...

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
463 Posts
I just checked and my car has gone all the way to "dispatched from the factory". I hope that puts me on the far side of supply problems. However... I still lost my drawpad, and my kick to open features.
Hope those are something I can purchase and install later when parts are readily available.

Dan

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have trouble believing that they could pull one car off the line to wait for a missing part?

I mean, some percentage of the parts in an i4 are universal across all trims, and I imagine that is a very high number.

What part could run out that just a single car would get it in an hour? in a day?

It would have to be something uncommon, unpopular or otherwise limited in use, otherwise the number of cars that would stop would quickly balloon at a rate of dozens or hundreds per day. At that point, storage becomes an issue, how do these cars get re-inserted into the line?
etc. etc.

At this time of year, once you get a VIN, it seems like your car must be about to get made because the model year is part of the VIN and BMWs model year is running out of time remaining.

I dunno. It seems suspect that new, random salesguy knows so much and spreads doom and gloom freely.
It just seems more like a tactic to keep expectations low.

YMMV.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Also: still wondering if anyone knows what those 170-179 workshop status codes are about?

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Well, why would he do that? We were talking about my car, and my car isn't scheduled for production anytime soon. I still have to wait for October (production) and November (Delivery).
And it is like I said: your car is "scheduled" for production, so the parts are "foreseen " to be delivered within your production week. If for any reason that delivery fails....
Do not forget we are still facing exceptional times: Covid, shortage of chips, war....things we normally do not have to take into consideration...

·
Registered
864 Posts
I do keep forgetting that in some other countries, dealership salespeople are not looked upon with as much distrust as they are in the US. :unsure:

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
I do keep forgetting that in some other countries, dealership salespeople are not looked upon with as much distrust as they are in the US. :unsure:
Right, but that doesn't mean they always tell the truth...
But I've always been under the impression that my dealers are always sincere about helping me anyway....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Right, but that doesn't mean they always tell the truth...
But I've always been under the impression that my dealers are always sincere about helping me anyway....
If you live in the US, you'd know dealerships are the most untrustworthy people. At least for me, it's like I'm in the twilight zone anytime I'm at a dealership.

They will say literally anything and completely clown things to you.

• Haha

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
If you live in the US, you'd know dealerships are the most untrustworthy people. At least for me, it's like I'm in the twilight zone anytime I'm at a dealership.

They will say literally anything and completely clown things to you.
And the Genius Line, is that a real person, or is that a computer voice?
Is that trustworthy?

·
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
So, in fact, you guys have lots of possibilities to verify the status of your car but not one can be trusted, while we here in Europe have almost no possibilities to get to know the status, but what we get from our dealer is "sort of" reliable, or let's say, more reliable...
What a world...a world full of liars...
I thought lawyers were the biggest liars...It seems car salesman followed the same courses: how to deceive your customers...

• Haha
301 - 320 of 375 Posts