BMW i4 Forum banner

What's your position in the drivers' seat?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you sit in your seat driving your car?
Choose between 1 through 6, depending on the height of the seat, the inclination of the seat, and the distance of the steering wheel. The angle of your arms can be an indication
Joint Hand Arm Leg White

·
1,042 Posts
I don't have enough adjustment on my current seat to have a good position, it is therefore a theoretical vote

We had discussed this subject in this post, here is the ideal position according to physiological constraints:
Arm Sleeve Gesture Elbow Font

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
66 Posts
My position is with the left hand on the top of the steering wheel, slouched to the right with my right arm on the armrest.

That also explains why I don't use my indicators. 😜

·
Registered
319 Posts
I’ve drained my BMW indicator oil to lighten the car curb weight.
I’m between 1 and 2 if I am actually driving, in American conditions it would be 4+.
I went to a track with an instructor and really saw how sitting close to the steering wheel with your hands 10 and 2 made your reflexes so much better and steering so much more accurate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
With hands between 9 - 3 or 10 -2 you can basically do anything without shifting your hands around the wheel if seat position is right. Except turn at 0 speed ofcourse.

Many years ago i had my right hand in a cast driving my E class mercedes with 1 hand. It was perfectly fine until one day there was a small oil spill on wet road and i spun out with no chance of catching the car on the way out of a roundabout at about 30kmh or 20mph.. 😂 Hit a light post with the rear quarterpanel and got stuck in the ditch with one rear wheel in the air unable to get back on the road.. 😂 Felt so stupid standing there at rushhour waiting for the tow truck.. Grandmas where passing me easily correcting the car if they had the rear kick out.. 😁

·
Registered
256 Posts
Years ago I took the Bobby Ore stunt driving school for film and TV. He showed us the shuffle steering method so that each hand never crosses over the other so you never get caught up running out of steering wheel. Works great for vehicles without a yoke.

·
Registered
200 Posts
1 but more laid back. I have put steering wheel extensions on two cars. Much recommend.

I did a BMW driving autocross day, where the instructor insisted that I had not only to drive the course but also learn to do shuffle steering at the exact same time. I wanted to pop the idiot in the nose as he ruined an otherwise fun experience. Shuffle or cross arms or suicide knob, it doesn't matter if it works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts