Which do you prefer?

Votes: 41 78.8%

Votes: 11 21.2%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Understanding none of us have any control over our model year or timing, but which would you prefer If you could? Near term, they both may hold value, but a few years out the 2023 may be worth a bit more as it is ‘newer’?

2022 - at original MSRP, but built last two production weeks and delivered late Summer
2023 - with price increase, but delivered this Fall

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
MY2022 because I can get cognac leather.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
952 Posts
Moot point for me now since mine was put on the train out of Munich today, but since mine is an eDrive40 order, it's a no-brainer to want the 2022.

...and the 'value' of 2023 vs 2022 isn't always skewed towards the newest. Pretty sure people would gravitate towards the one without the removed options, and thinking further ahead, collectors generally prefer the initial model year over subsequent editions.

Oh, and you get your car sooner if it's 2022. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just want mine in my garage. At this point I don’t care what year. I really want thinks like parking assist, hud, hk sound and driving assist I have these all on my wife’s x5 and enjoy using them. Sounds like my dealer wa t eat the difference between msrp, seeing they are making more than if it were normal times and had to deal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
As a consumer I would normally prefer products which are longer on the market, giving the manufacturer more time and experience to address any issues. Of course at the moment, with BEVs, normal is not very normal...

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,250 Posts
A newer model usually means better... like improved options, new features...

In this case, it looks the opposite. So, I don't know... I've been waiting now for so long for a new car (Sept. 2020), that I'll probably accept it the way it comes...
Even if they messed up with the color, like they deliver a Dravit Grey instead of a San Rem Green, or they mount 19" 861M wheels instead of 18" 858M, I still wouldn't mind :cool:

·
Registered
i4 M Sport ordered
78 Posts
I think the answer to this question will vary a lot depending on whether you ordered an e40 or an M50. Considering at MY2023 no longer has the option for DAP and PAP on the e40, I can't imagine many e40 customers who want those options would prefer a MY where they're not available.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I preordered right at the start because I wanted the inaugural year. A part of me is quite upset that I’ve been moved to a my23 and won’t be a my22. If given the option to still have it counted as a my22 (regardless of delay) I would take it. At this point though I just want my dang car.

·
Registered
2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 M Sport Pro Portimao Blue (waiting...)
16 Posts
I was originally thinking I'd want to wait to MY23 for the reasons mentioned above but I'm waiting on an eDrive40 in Canada, so it is definitely 2022 for me. MY23 goes up $6K and loses $5K +$3K in govt rebates so it's $14K total difference. Luckily, mine is in production right now as a MY22.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm getting a 2023 for the same price I would have gotten a 2022 for, so I guess I'll take it. I'll pay a little bit more in excise tax, but oh well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MY 2022 is easily the choice for me. I was irritated at losing some options but chalked that up to the pandemic. Maybe they have no choice if they want to keep building cars. Transferring my order to 2023 with a price increase seems like they are totally breaking the purchase agreement by choice. I'm a little surprised that people are just accepting the price increase. Maybe it's worth taking a stand even if it means walking away.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Moot point for me now since mine was put on the train out of Munich today, but since mine is an eDrive40 order, it's a no-brainer to want the 2022.

...and the 'value' of 2023 vs 2022 isn't always skewed towards the newest. Pretty sure people would gravitate towards the one without the removed options, and thinking further ahead, collectors generally prefer the initial model year over subsequent editions.

Oh, and you get your car sooner if it's 2022. ;)
I dunno, a lot of times those first model year cars are riddled with gremlins. The only thing that would get me into a 2022 vs a 2023 is if the 2023 doesn't have all the options that I could get from a 2022. I always laugh when some guy touts the "discount" he received on his previous model year new vehicle. My response is generally, "that's a great deal on a 1 year old car!" Give it about 2-3 years, if you were to compare the exact same builds on a 2022 and a 2023 with both being optioned exactly the same, 9 times out of 10 the newer vehicle is going to be worth more. The only time I've seen anything different is when the next year's design was done so poorly that people outright prefer the prior year. All things being the same, I'd take the 2023 but if the 2023 doesn't allow for all the options, then I'd prefer a 2022.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
952 Posts
@TXZL1I4 , I was speaking to the preference of collectors, not people who will buy something as a daily driver. As long as year-one's production was not completely hot garbage compared to the second, they prefer the first-year version.

Actually, if the only issue with the first year was limited availability, they'll want it even more, regardless of anything else.

Like so many things, the value of anything is what a person believes it to be.

Reactions: BlueHoosier

·
Registered
243 Posts
@TXZL1I4 , I was speaking to the preference of collectors, not people who will buy something as a daily driver. As long as year-one's production was not completely hot garbage compared to the second, they prefer the first-year version.

Actually, if the only issue with the first year was limited availability, they'll want it even more, regardless of anything else.

Like so many things, the value of anything is what a person believes it to be.
You actually bring up a good point, will EVs have the same coveted collectability that ICE vehicles have? I would say that if history is any indication, maybe not. Anyone else remember the "performance" of the late 70s and early 80s? I was flipping through the channels the other day and saw Smokey and the Bandit on TV. I remember looking up the stats of the infamous "screaming chicken" and thinking that I had a Saturn and a Kia Soul with more HP. Now sure, the "screaming chicken" will draw some collectors mostly for nostalgia's sake, but how are these new EVs going to fare? My guess is that battery tech will really progress and these vehicles might suffer the same fate as those early 80s vehicles. It's a damn shame that GM trashed all of its very first EVs, as it would be interesting to see if these things would score with collectors.

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light Wheel

And sure enough, I went down the rabbit hole. My guess is that the $500,000 price paid is mostly due to the rarity of this particular vehicle. There's an Ultra-Rare GM EV1 Abandoned in an Atlanta Parking Garage

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve got a 2022 e40 on a vessel now with DAPP and PAP. Would not have bought the car without this tech so 2023 would be a non starter for me.

If these options remain removed for 2023 and beyond on the 40’s, I’m wondering if ‘22 e40 with the tech packages will hold value quite well since it will be a small # of this configuration made vs buying the pricier m50 to get the same packages.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I hope like all of us that mine will be delivered in 2022…. Will be probably be beginning of 2023… value wise I don’t think there will be any difference, when I aske my local BMW dealer they said that they are unaware of any changes for the My2023.

I ordered an eDrive40, company lease car… and I do love the mighty M50….. but please keep it real when talking about collector cars….They are mass produced consumption vehicles to be recycled as soon as their useful life is over… they will never be collector cars…

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll take what I can get at this point. I ordered i4 e40 M Sport in March 2022 but was told it would most likely end up being a 2023, but in the end I'm getting an i4 e40 2022 San Remo Green, no M but a lot of other features I didnt even think about, like DAP, Laser Lights.... But I wont get excited until they hand me the keys, fob or whatever this car uses! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Appreciate all the thoughts for a hypothetical. Everyone has their own story/circumstances/ preferences, but it’s probably safe to assume we all prefer “sooner rather than later”. Here is to hoping (thinking positively) that production ramps and that happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts