BMW i4 Forum banner

[Poll] Will you use the Iconic Sounds?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is called for. Let's see how many people will be using the i4's optional in-cabin driving sounds, aka Iconic Sounds.

On another note: What driving sounds, if any, would you want to have available? For me The Imperial March please.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes, It's actually one of the biggest reasons I'm getting this car. I had a tesla model 3 and got bored not hearing anything cool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don’t really know. I drove the iX3 before ordering and enjoyed the silence in an run testing potential economy. So, as a family car silence is golden and enjoy your music.
However, in this big lump of iX3 without sound the sense of speed was missing.
When alone and enjoying sports mode it may have a place for audible speed indication so you aren’t looking for the speed. But, it sounds fairly duff on the videos I have seen…

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
From some YouTube reviewers, I think it is Thomas Majchrzak from Autogefuhl, the acceleration of the i4 (especially the M50 version I'm buying) is so strong that with complete silence, there is a real danger your PASSENGERS may get car sick. So the Iconic sound might help them by giving them an audio cue for their brains to relate to the intense g-forces. Personally, when I drive alone, I think I'd rather keep it quiet, but currently I'm thinking I might turn it on when carrying passengers. When I get the car (summer 2022), I plan to fly with my wife to BMW's US Performance Center in Spartanburg SC to take delivery of the car and drive with her the 1000 miles maiden journey home, so we'll try it both ways and settle on a routine. The manual published elsewhere in this forum is a bit sparse on the subject, but I'm thinking that it might be possible to set it to silent only in the Sport Individual mode, so that I can enjoy the car in complete silence when I'm alone, and leave it on for Comfort mode which I would probably use whenever I have passengers.
This being said, BMW announces more soundtracks will be made available through OTA updates, I'm hoping for good old V8 or inline 6 sounds or even the sweet in-line 5 of my first sports car (yes, I started with an Audi, nobody's perfect).

·
1,028 Posts
acceleration of the i4 (especially the M50 version I'm buying) is so strong that with complete silence, there is a real danger your PASSENGERS may get car sick.
Not agree, motion sickness is due to conflict between visual perception and somesthetic receptors, which as nothing to do with hearing. In the carwow review passenger is sick when the driver plays like a kid with the accelerator, the presenter is sick when he presents the back seats, without looking at the road.

Anecdote: I get sick very quickly when I play Gran Turismo in Virtual Reality, with a noisy M3 as well as with a silent Tesla, because there is a big conflict between vision and physical feeling, especially when it goes up and down 🤢

BMW announces more soundtracks will be made available through OTA updates, I'm hoping for good old V8 or inline 6 sounds
(y) it would be wonderful if BMW discovered the word FUN

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Not agree, motion sickness is due to conflict between visual perception and somesthetic receptors, which as nothing to do with hearing. In the carwow review passenger is sick when the driver plays like a kid with the accelerator, the presenter is sick when he presents the back seats, without looking at the road.

Anecdote: I get sick very quickly when I play Gran Turismo in Virtual Reality, with a noisy M3 as well as with a silent Tesla, because there is a big conflict between vision and physical feeling, especially when it goes up and down 🤢

(y) it would be wonderful if BMW discovered the word FUN
@Mycroft , I don't disagree with you, but I think the audio might help a little, if only to draw attention from the passenger to look outside. I'd be really interested in hearing and seeing more about passenger reactions. I'm really looking forward to having fun with the car but getting a divorce, not so much :)

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,207 Posts
If I ever have my i4, I probably will. I think I need some sort of noise when not playing any music...

(Yes, I wrote intentionally "If" and not "When")

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It's coming with the package so we'll see.

·
Registered
310 Posts
In 2 years of owning a Model 3 Performance, I have never felt the need for any equivalent of 'Iconic Sounds' - I love the lack of engine noise, but that's maybe just me. In all the times I have 'demonstrated' the 3.1 seconds 0-60 (in reality around 3.4), no one has ever felt ill. The main expression I get is 'OMG it's like a roller coaster'.

·
Registered
Ordered: i4 M50 Individual Tansanit Blau
27 Posts
I'd have them turned on for sure. I want some feedback on the throttle. Not only do I want to feel but also hear a sonic representation of what I'm doing and it'll help me get a sense of how fast I'm actually going. So it will also help me reduce the amount of speeding tickets 😬

But I gotta say i felt that the Iconic Sounds in Comfort mode were the best -- in Sport mode they were too loud. Hoping I can set the type of sound or volume in Sport mode to my liking in the menus...

·
Registered
371 Posts
From some YouTube reviewers, I think it is Thomas Majchrzak from Autogefuhl, the acceleration of the i4 (especially the M50 version I'm buying) is so strong that with complete silence, there is a real danger your PASSENGERS may get car sick. So the Iconic sound might help them by giving them an audio cue for their brains to relate to the intense g-forces. Personally, when I drive alone, I think I'd rather keep it quiet, but currently I'm thinking I might turn it on when carrying passengers. When I get the car (summer 2022), I plan to fly with my wife to BMW's US Performance Center in Spartanburg SC to take delivery of the car and drive with her the 1000 miles maiden journey home, so we'll try it both ways and settle on a routine. The manual published elsewhere in this forum is a bit sparse on the subject, but I'm thinking that it might be possible to set it to silent only in the Sport Individual mode, so that I can enjoy the car in complete silence when I'm alone, and leave it on for Comfort mode which I would probably use whenever I have passengers.
This being said, BMW announces more soundtracks will be made available through OTA updates, I'm hoping for good old V8 or inline 6 sounds or even the sweet in-line 5 of my first sports car (yes, I started with an Audi, nobody's perfect).
People get sick from less then 1G?
I think the instant torque that snaps the head back is more annoying that the straight out acceleration.

·
2,207 Posts
I prefer some good music, composed by Hans Zimmer, above his whale sounds.. His concert in Prague would be a good example :cool:

Reactions: MinhSATx

·
2,207 Posts
After hearing them in episode 3 with Supercar Blondie I wish that the starting sound could also be disabled. AFIK you can't.
Sure you can:
Lastly, the Efficient My Mode lacks IconicSounds altogether, as it wants the driver to be reminded of the silent efficiency of electric powertrains. Of course, if the driver wants, the IconicSounds can be turned off completely, regardless of My Mode selection. Furthermore, there are two new My Modes for the BMW i4 and iX, each with their own IconicSounds: Expressive and Relax. The former uses higher-pitched tones, including violins, to create a more interesting and abstract experience. That noise is combined with neon lighting, from both the curved screen and the ambient lighting. The combination creates an entire mood change in the cabin that’s unique to both of BMW’s electric cars. While the latter mode, Relax, provides softer, more hushed, and more harmonious sounds and lights, to create gentle environment that should help relieve stress.

The starting sound is part of the Iconic sounds, so, when you turn off Iconic sounds, you turn everything off.

Edit: if it really isn't possible to turn the starting sound off, then hacking the Iconic Sounds option for e40 basic driver should be possible.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
All this colored text doesn't say that specifically the starting sound is part of the iconic sounds (that we know since ever that you can disable them).
I remember at least one of the reviewers who disabled the moronic Hans Zimmer "engine" sounds yet when he pressed the start button the car still chimed.

·
2,207 Posts
When I did a test drive, at one point I didn't know exactly if the engine was on or off... so I pushed the start button, and then I pushed it again,....and again....and as far as I remembered I didn't hear anything. I could be wrong of course...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
When I did a test drive, at one point I didn't know exactly if the engine was on or off... so I pushed the start button, and then I pushed it again,....and again....and as far as I remembered I didn't hear anything. I could be wrong of course...
I hope you are right, because I hate Zimmer's starting sound even more than Brian May's Windows 95 sound!

·
2,207 Posts
All this colored text doesn't say that specifically the starting sound is part of the iconic sounds
Very simple to test actually: get an e40 Basic, without the option IconicSounds, start the car, and listen...
If there's a sound, the start/stop sound is not part of...
The problem is: where the hell do we find an e40 Basic without that option?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts