BMW i4 Forum banner

What features do you plan to use?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Choose what you intend to use from the i4's Tech capabilities, built-in or via your smartphone

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot. You only hear the Iconic Sound when on Sport mode and mashing the accelerator, so the more you hear it, the more you are "juicing" the car...
You will tend to drive very fast, to suffer this sound as little as possible

Registered
I intend to use pretty much all of them. I actually ordered an M50 with all the tech doo-dads, the only thing I left out are cosmetics like the bigger wheels, the expensive paint, the carbon fiber trim. I always prefer using the car's satnav because it is better integrated, the slight differences in interface between the smartphone version and the car's version are getting more and more negligible (now that cars can navigate by POIs and around traffic), and I expect the car's system to have good integration with charging (google maps is still meh about it). Will try the personal assistant, I have gotten used to telling Alexa (in my office) and Google (in my bedroom) to turn on and off my lights, so I do want to learn the commands for the climate control to avoid those awful touchscreen commands. And full robotic driving to the sound of Sirius Opera channel on the long and boring Interstates, yeah!

As soon as I get the car I'll do proper videos of the Laserlight, high and low beam LED lights to share. I believe in their safety contribution; also I'll try to figure out a way to mount my Go-Pro to properly demo assisted driving and parking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I intend to use pretty much all of them. I actually ordered an M50 with all the tech doo-dads, the only thing I left out are cosmetics like the bigger wheels, the expensive paint, the carbon fiber trim. I always prefer using the car's satnav because it is better integrated, the slight differences in interface between the smartphone version and the car's version are getting more and more negligible (now that cars can navigate by POIs and around traffic), and I expect the car's system to have good integration with charging (google maps is still meh about it). Will try the personal assistant, I have gotten used to telling Alexa (in my office) and Google (in my bedroom) to turn on and off my lights, so I do want to learn the commands for the climate control to avoid those awful touchscreen commands. And full robotic driving to the sound of Sirius Opera channel on the long and boring Interstates, yeah!

As soon as I get the car I'll do proper videos of the Laserlight, high and low beam LED lights to share. I believe in their safety contribution; also I'll try to figure out a way to mount my Go-Pro to properly demo assisted driving and parking.
I'm going to test iDrive8 but I've always found manufacturers' interfaces really bad, in ergonomics and performance, it's really not their job.
I have in mind that Apple and Android will progressively replace them, as it is already the case for Renault and others

Registered
Agreed. Interfaces in cars are more about integration with our own personal technology and media choices, not the car itself. That's why Apple (and - hack - cough - choke - that other entity) will always win on the media choices in cars. BMW even recognizes that with the integration of Apple Maps into its HUD.

Registered
I'm not entirely convinced. Most of the time, I'd rather use the iDrive wheel and scribble pad than touch the screen because I don't have to focus on the screen. It's a matter of preference, I think the smartphone works better when you hold it in front of you, and when you search for something specific, but for navigating, and being able to do things with only a quick glance, the car interface does a better job. And remember that on an EV, the car satnav has the advantage of knowing your SOC and your consumption since the beginning of the trip, while your phone does not. So for an intelligent and adaptive trip with charging, it's not the software, it's the information that gives the car satnav an advantage.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not entirely convinced. Most of the time, I'd rather use the iDrive wheel and scribble pad than touch the screen because I don't have to focus on the screen. It's a matter of preference, I think the smartphone works better when you hold it in front of you, and when you search for something specific, but for navigating, and being able to do things with only a quick glance, the car interface does a better job. And remember that on an EV, the car satnav has the advantage of knowing your SOC and your consumption since the beginning of the trip, while your phone does not. So for an intelligent and adaptive trip with charging, it's not the software, it's the information that gives the car satnav an advantage.
These are not problems: hardware can be design according to embedded OS, and OS can communicate with the car's computer to get the car's information: speed, battery status, alarms... This is already the case when a car is based on Android

Registered
Will it be possible to show the Android maps in the HUD like it is possible with Apple? I also tend to use the Augmented View......somehow......in the future.....maybe.....or not

Registered
@MinhSATx, I plan to use the wheel too, but with CarPlay. I鈥檓 not talking about the physical input choice; rather, the platform choice. You use the center console wheel with CarPlay in cars that have it. That makes a world of difference and what I use exclusively in my current Mazda w CarPlay. Also, re knowing the SOC, that鈥檚 a fair point, but that will only be needed in a few instances for me and you can still have that operate in the background.

Registered
@MinhSATx, I plan to use the wheel too, but with CarPlay. I鈥檓 not talking about the physical input choice; rather, the platform choice. You use the center console wheel with CarPlay in cars that have it. That makes a world of difference and what I use exclusively in my current Mazda w CarPlay. Also, re knowing the SOC, that鈥檚 a fair point, but that will only be needed in a few instances for me and you can still have that operate in the background.
Just be careful that Apple Maps does not lead you to the center of the lake! :ROFLMAO: (I haven't kept up with the IOS news - I do know that people seem to love Waze, now a Google property).

Registered

As per my knowledge iD8 integrates perfectly with Apple Carplay and you can have satnav on dash and hud form GM (and I hope Waze as well)
As for the charging navigation I'll be using ABRP which also integrates with Carplay (so will see how it will play out

Registered
Just be careful that Apple Maps does not lead you to the center of the lake! :ROFLMAO: (I haven't kept up with the IOS news - I do know that people seem to love Waze, now a Google property).
Ha! Well played. One clarification - don鈥檛 confuse Apple CarPlay w Apple Maps, though. Many folks use Waze w CarPlay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ 44 voters:

tops:
  1. Ambient light
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Comfort access
flops:
  1. Android
  2. Speed Limiter
  3. Iconic Sounds

Registered

My build has everything sans carbon fiber exterior elements and ventilated seats.
I won't use the sounds but will use everything else.

Sent from my LE2125 using Tapatalk

Registered
I鈥檓 really surprised about the ambient lighting, had in the past, still have it in one of our cars today and for us it does absolutely nothing.
It did sometimes embarrass me, when the kids wanted full pink :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts