·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
@Finndoc , thank you for posting. This is scary indeed, but it reinforces the decision of the participants to this forum to go with BMW that uses a 400V battery technology, and 5th generation from their learning selling the i3 and i8 since 2008. I also saw that Hyundai/Kia use the same 800V technology, and the erratic behavior reported by
and others now make more sense in the light of some cells potentially overheating.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hyundai Kona owner here. Already had a cell replaced and now can't charge over 90% due to possible fires in the pack. The pack will be replaced but when...? Who knows. I had to sign a document if I charge over 90% all risks are on me. I feel so safe in my car now. :/
Hm my kona also belongs to the ones that should get it’s battery replaced. But the service center has absolutely no clue when that will happen. I can’t wait for the delivery of my i4 to replace the Kona.

·
Registered
i4 M50 19" 861M Sanremo green
1,567 Posts
Hm my kona also belongs to the ones that should get it’s battery replaced. But the service center has absolutely no clue when that will happen. I can’t wait for the delivery of my i4 to replace the Kona.
BMW has been selling all electric cars since 2013, 9 years ago, the i4 will be using the 5th generation of their battery packs, and as discussed on thread BMW Begins i4 Electric Sedan Battery Component..., BMW builds their battery packs and the charging/discharging controls in-house in Germany, not outsourced like GM, Hyundai or VW. So I'm not saying that these issues won't happen with the i4, but the chances will be probably as low as for Tesla, who has the same "outsource the cell but build the pack in house" approach, if not even lower due to their experience with mass production and quality control.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hyundai Kona owner here. Already had a cell replaced and now can't charge over 90% due to possible fires in the pack. The pack will be replaced but when...? Who knows. I had to sign a document if I charge over 90% all risks are on me. I feel so safe in my car now. :/
Why would you ever sign such a document?

let’s hope BMW has learned a lot over the last couple of years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts