BMW i4 Forum banner
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

· Registered
5.0 V8 Range Rover, Smart Roadster, i4 eDrive 40
1,049 Posts
The other thing I was wondering about was if anybody had any auto-journalist contacts? Bad press is always going to be more affective than individual complaints.
Might be worth posting about it on PistonHeads. That has a massive audience which includes journalists.

· Registered
2023 i4 eDrive40 C4W KHFY 854 494 6NX
92 Posts
Perhaps, we're being a bit too harsh / impatient :) I know it's easy for me to say since I already have the feature...
No, we are being just fine. (More on that at the end of this post.)

The point is not whether you or others have the feature, it is that you cannot know why you do. This aspect of the car is a black box to us. It is something we can't control; so the fact that someone has the feature does the rest of us no good.

...I'm sure everyone will have it soon since it does not make sense to withhold a software button.
“I’m sure” is an expression, I know. But whereas I think your call for calm is well intentioned, also I am confident that in fact you are not sure. None of us is, because no-one outside of BMW product development can be.

Relative to both BMW's puffery about 210 kW charging speed and the cost of my i4 to me, I haven't even begun to be harsh.

As for impatience: My i4 is financed. Will BMW change my financing terms in my favor in acknowledgement of these deficiencies, so long as they persist? Of course not. So while I am paying in full, why should I be patient?

· Registered
347 Posts
What can be clear is that BMW has made many promises they haven’t fulfilled yet. They even said the i4 would get the EV routing that Apple introduced but that feature is nowhere to be found.

The frustrating part is that there's either no communication at all or they are communicating that they might not deliver what was said/implied previously. In the meantime it is like @trivalent said, we are paying for our cars in full while not getting the full feature set.

· Registered
i4 M50, 19" Wheels
1,430 Posts
This is the complaint I will be sending to BMW tomorrow.

I would encourage everybody to make as much 'noise' about this as they can before they finish making "a final evaluation of this".

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about the attached dealer notification.

I ordered my M50 in December 2021 and have now had the pleasure of driving it for about six weeks. During the long wait for the car, I have spent a lot of time online discussing the car, both with potential and actual owners of the car.

Recently there has been a lot of consternation about the possibility of the i4 not getting iDrive 8.5. There has been a lively debate about this, split mostly into two camps, those that aren’t particularly bothered by user interface changes, and those that expect to be constantly upgraded, a similar experience to the computers or mobile phones.

Personally, I’m of the former camp but the one thing that everybody agrees upon is the need for BMW to maintain functionality that addresses the driving experience.

One of the significant deficiencies of the i4 as originally shipped, is the inability to manually initiate battery pre-conditioning. For an EV, I remain surprised that nobody at BMW realised the significance of this feature from the outset. Currently, the only way to initiate battery pre-conditioning is via the BMW navigation software. For various reasons, many people do not like or want to use this application but continue to utilise their existing favourite navigation application via Android Auto or CarPlay but this results in significantly longer charge times as the battery is not in an optimum state when they arrive at a charging station.

Many people thought it was only a matter of time before BMW added this functionality and you can imagine the excitement when some people discovered they now have an option in the i4 charging section to initiate battery pre-conditioning. There was a lot of discussion about why only some people were seeing this option when others (even on the latest 2022/11.44 software) weren’t. Even before the attached dealer notification became public knowledge, it was being suggested that to have this option, the cars had to have been manufactured in 2022/11 or later.

There are many attractive benefits of driving an EV but everyone is aware that the key downside is range anxiety and the time it takes to recharge – no more three minute fill ups at the pump to get another four hundred miles of range. You can therefore imagine owners’ frustration and annoyance to find out that their brand new cars may be denied the ability to significantly improve their recharging time. I have a £75,000 car that I have owned for six weeks and BMW are telling me that it may already remain feature deficient for the rest of its lifetime.

As I said at the beginning of this complaint. I’m not that bothered about user interface updates but I expect BMW to fully support and update the cars key functionality throughout the lifetime of the car. Six weeks into ownership and you have potentially failed that expectation. Software is now a key component of modern cars, one that you do not appear to take seriously. As an early adopter, you get a lot of interest from non-EV owners and whilst I love the car, I now have to add the caveat that I’m not sure I would buy BMW because they don’t seem committed to maintaining the software functionality that is now key to any modern car.

With regards to this particular issue, I also find it extremely hard to understand why it may not be possible to bring this feature to pre-2022/11 cars. I am not a programmer but I have supported IT systems and networks at a high level for the last thirty-five years. Clearly something in the car changed that month (although in BMW’s typically opaque communications, nobody knows what that was) but all i4s already have the ability to pre-condition the battery via the BMW navigation software. If the navigation program can do this via its software, it is impossible to understand why your software team can’t make the same facility work via an alternative software interface, i.e., a manual battery pre-conditioning tile.

You may feel this complaint is premature. The dealer notification has not completely ruled out this coming to all i4s:

“For vehicles produced before this the functionality is not available. We can also not for the time being confirm that this will be added through a future software update, as the technical prerequisites are still being investigated”

But I am complaining now because it is more effective making your feelings known before a final decision has been made, than after it.

As I have already explained, users find it unfathomable why this feature can’t be added to older cars when battery pre-conditioning is already software controlled through the BMW navigation program. But even if your software engineers decide it is not possible to bring this essential feature to ‘older cars’, ‘older’ including my six week old car, I hope that BMW will at least offer the possibility of a hardware upgrade to enable us to gain this essential feature. I also think BMW should explain what changed in November 2022 and why this makes it impossible to implement a software upgrade to bring this feature to ‘older’ cars.

Maybe time for a new slogan – “Ultimate Driving Machine, once you’ve waited for it to charge”

Yours faithfully

Attachments

· Registered
i4 M50
224 Posts
This is the complaint I will be sending to BMW tomorrow.

I would encourage everybody to make as much 'noise' about this as they can before they finish making "a final evaluation of this".

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to complain about the attached dealer notification.

I ordered my M50 in December 2021 and have now had the pleasure of driving it for about six weeks. During the long wait for the car, I have spent a lot of time online discussing the car, both with potential and actual owners of the car.

Recently there has been a lot of consternation about the possibility of the i4 not getting iDrive 8.5. There has been a lively debate about this, split mostly into two camps, those that aren’t particularly bothered by user interface changes, and those that expect to be constantly upgraded, a similar experience to the computers or mobile phones.

Personally, I’m of the former camp but the one thing that everybody agrees upon is the need for BMW to maintain functionality that addresses the driving experience.

One of the significant deficiencies of the i4 as originally shipped, is the inability to manually initiate battery pre-conditioning. For an EV, I remain surprised that nobody at BMW realised the significance of this feature from the outset. Currently, the only way to initiate battery pre-conditioning is via the BMW navigation software. For various reasons, many people do not like or want to use this application but continue to utilise their existing favourite navigation application via Android Auto or CarPlay but this results in significantly longer charge times as the battery is not in an optimum state when they arrive at a charging station.

Many people thought it was only a matter of time before BMW added this functionality and you can imagine the excitement when some people discovered they now have an option in the i4 charging section to initiate battery pre-conditioning. There was a lot of discussion about why only some people were seeing this option when others (even on the latest 2022/11.44 software) weren’t. Even before the attached dealer notification became public knowledge, it was being suggested that to have this option, the cars had to have been manufactured in 2022/11 or later.

There are many attractive benefits of driving an EV but everyone is aware that the key downside is range anxiety and the time it takes to recharge – no more three minute fill ups at the pump to get another four hundred miles of range. You can therefore imagine owners’ frustration and annoyance to find out that their brand new cars may be denied the ability to significantly improve their recharging time. I have a £75,000 car that I have owned for six weeks and BMW are telling me that it may already remain feature deficient for the rest of its lifetime.

As I said at the beginning of this complaint. I’m not that bothered about user interface updates but I expect BMW to fully support and update the cars key functionality throughout the lifetime of the car. Six weeks into ownership and you have potentially failed that expectation. Software is now a key component of modern cars, one that you do not appear to take seriously. As an early adopter, you get a lot of interest from non-EV owners and whilst I love the car, I now have to add the caveat that I’m not sure I would buy BMW because they don’t seem committed to maintaining the software functionality that is now key to any modern car.

With regards to this particular issue, I also find it extremely hard to understand why it may not be possible to bring this feature to pre-2022/11 cars. I am not a programmer but I have supported IT systems and networks at a high level for the last thirty-five years. Clearly something in the car changed that month (although in BMW’s typically opaque communications, nobody knows what that was) but all i4s already have the ability to pre-condition the battery via the BMW navigation software. If the navigation program can do this via its software, it is impossible to understand why your software team can’t make the same facility work via an alternative software interface, i.e., a manual battery pre-conditioning tile.

You may feel this complaint is premature. The dealer notification has not completely ruled out this coming to all i4s:

“For vehicles produced before this the functionality is not available. We can also not for the time being confirm that this will be added through a future software update, as the technical prerequisites are still being investigated”

But I am complaining now because it is more effective making your feelings known before a final decision has been made, than after it.

As I have already explained, users find it unfathomable why this feature can’t be added to older cars when battery pre-conditioning is already software controlled through the BMW navigation program. But even if your software engineers decide it is not possible to bring this essential feature to ‘older cars’, ‘older’ including my six week old car, I hope that BMW will at least offer the possibility of a hardware upgrade to enable us to gain this essential feature. I also think BMW should explain what changed in November 2022 and why this makes it impossible to implement a software upgrade to bring this feature to ‘older’ cars.

Maybe time for a new slogan – “Ultimate Driving Machine, once you’ve waited for it to charge”

Yours faithfully
Great job! I’ve just used that as a guide to write my own complaint.
For others in the UK, you can sent your complaint to [email protected]

· Registered
2022 i4 M50 - Brooklyn Gray
323 Posts
In my experience, copying the following email addresses (for BMWNA) escalates the situation. Prior to receiving my M50 in Aug 2022, I had to escalate an issue after dealing with BMW Genius for weeks. As soon as I copied these email addresses things started moving, Someone from Executive Customer care was assigned right away to address the issue.
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

· Registered
i4 M50, 19" Wheels
1,430 Posts
Great info @Sesh Kami , I'll send seperate emails to the two German email addresses as well.

Reactions: Sesh Kami and ssh

· Registered
i4 M50, 19" Wheels
1,430 Posts
Well that is quite annoying and since I live in the northern part of Sweden it would greatly affect me. Might just sell it if BMW doesn't plan on fixing this.
Well make sure you get a complaint in. The more flak they get, the more likely BMW will fix it for all.

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,692 Posts
@J_P Thanks for the template for a complaint. I'll be sending a complaint shortly.

· Registered
i4 M50
224 Posts
Reply from BMW UK Customer Services:

Good afternoon Robert
Thanks for your email to Chris, he has a dedicated team that assist with concerns such as yours. I’m sorry to hear about this and can understand why you’ve contacted BMW UK.
BMW UK truly value feedback from customers as it allows us a better understanding their ownership experience, which in turn helps us to improve the services we can provide.
I’d like to thank you for taking the time to contact us, and would advise we’ve noted the points you’ve raised, I can’t promise we’ll make any changes with this model at this stage. But I’ve passed your thoughts to our Product Department for future consideration.
If there’s anything else I can assist with then please come back to me.
Kind regards
Suzanne
Not much to get excited about but if we all get our complaints in, hopefully they'll be forced to take action.

· Registered
Portimao Blue/Tacora Red e40
18 Posts
The functionality for manual preconditioning before DC charging is available exfactory for the i20, G26 BEV, U11 & G70.

From 22/11 production - i20, G26 BEV, U11, G70.
From 22/07 production - G70.
being somewhat new to this lingo, can someone explain the i20, G26, etc.. means? quickly checked my e40 and it's production was 9/22

· Registered
'22 i4 eDrive40 Black Sapphire Metallic
699 Posts
being somewhat new to this lingo, can someone explain the i20, G26, etc.. means? quickly checked my e40 and it's production was 9/22
These are BMW codes for the models. The i4 is "G26"

121 - 140 of 149 Posts