BMW i4 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 349 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
868 Posts
Any Canadian bothers or sisters get a recent allocation or production number? It seems like everything in Canada has completely stalled out. I am taking a Polestar 2 for a test drive tomorrow and will be asking the “how long order to delivery question”.
The day I test drove the first week of January (in the US) the dealership told me the same thing as on the website: "Late January"
I placed a $500 deposit that evening, and the next morning, when I logged in to see if the placement of deposit had showed up in my account, it said "June delivery".

Kind of a bait and switch tactic, if you ask me.

Due to circumstances, I ended up taking delivery of a TM3 on March 12th, and Polestar e-mailed me on the 24th to say the car had arrived in California, and would be ready for delivery on April 6th.

TLDR: The dealer won't know when the car will come, and the website will not be accurate, either. 🤗

Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
594 Posts
The day I test drove the first week of January (in the US) the dealership told me the same thing as on the website: "Late January"
I placed a $500 deposit that evening, and the next morning, when I logged in to see if the placement of deposit had showed up in my account, it said "June delivery".

Kind of a bait and switch tactic, if you ask me.

Due to circumstances, I ended up taking delivery of a TM3 on March 12th, and Polestar e-mailed me on the 24th to say the car had arrived in California, and would be ready for delivery on April 6th.

TLDR: The dealer won't know when the car will come, and the website will not be accurate, either. 🤗
I'm confused, are you getting an i4 then or sticking to tesla?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Where do you see the week allocated? Does that show up in the tracker some time after "order received"? I put my order in last July, just got my production number. I guess that means I'll be migrated to MY2023 too? So 16 months, that would put me at November, ugh.
I also finally got a production number. I ordered July 20th. My order shows a few hundred dollars increase in cost and MY23. No options have been deleted. BMW Genius is taking a holiday today, so not sure what my estimated delivery is at this time.

My iX is still waiting at the dealer for All-Season tires, which are expected early July.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also finally got a production number. I ordered July 20th. My order shows a few hundred dollars increase in cost and MY23. No options have been deleted. BMW Genius is taking a holiday today, so not sure what my estimated delivery is at this time.

My iX is still waiting at the dealer for All-Season tires, which are expected early July.
Can you let me know where you ordered from? I see you got an m50 and ordered the same day i did. Some hope for me maybe? My pre-order is with Tulley in Nashua, NH.

·
Registered
312 Posts
None of those mythical production numbers made it to my dealership. My sales guy is on vacation, and the person I was talking to today didn’t seem to know much about what’s happening with the switch to MY23.

Waiting in Q1:

View attachment 11149

Waiting now:

View attachment 11148
I didn't get one either, but my CA did say I'm locked in at 2022 prices even though I am almost certain to get a 2023. I haven't talked about the 1.9% financing, but either I'm getting that or I'm not financing all that much of my car if any.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sure. My order is with BMW of Ramsey in NJ. Did you get a Production number?
Nope, pre-ordered 7/20/21, same day as you for an M50. No production number yet (checked yesterday with my CA). I know their pre-order system is...let's just say disorganized...but someone with the same preorder date as me getting a production number gives me hope. Please update when you get a build week, etc. I'm interested to hear since we ordered the same day in the same region.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, will do. I don’t mind waiting in line as long as it is a first order first to receive basis. I feel sorry for guys like Techwiz that ordered June 1st and have been continuously pushed back in the production line. My expectation changed a few months ago to expect the car by end of the year. At this time that seems doable but who knows.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I’ll be happy once August 2021 preorders start getting production numbers in here.
The whole preorder system is either really screwed or there is some sort of logic going on that I don’t understand. I lean heavily toward the whole system is screwed. Maybe they had a plan and it got screwed with COVID and Ukraine, who knows.

Some countries have priority. In the US it seems the preorders took a similar path as any other bmw that isn’t on the lot. Users did their preorders, months later we configured our car and we thought this placed us in line. You would think if you were the 1st guy to preoder, you didn’t drag your feet configuring, you would end up with the first us i4. Same with the 100th guy. But this isn’t how it worked. Once you could configure your car,the dealer took this, entered it in the system. The same system they would put your order in if you were to want to order an M3 or any other bmw. Then it’s just you and the dealer waiting for bmw to accept your order, give you a production number and begin waiting for them to build your car. I preordered October 2021, and last week I got my prod number. It’s dumb that put money down before me don’t have their prod number. Then again this means nothing and they could leapfrog me and get their cars before me.

You would hope bmw is doing their best to get cars out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The whole preorder system is either really screwed or there is some sort of logic going on that I don’t understand. I lean heavily toward the whole system is screwed. Maybe they had a plan and it got screwed with COVID and Ukraine, who knows.

Some countries have priority. In the US it seems the preorders took a similar path as any other bmw that isn’t on the lot. Users did their preorders, months later we configured our car and we thought this placed us in line. You would think if you were the 1st guy to preoder, you didn’t drag your feet configuring, you would end up with the first us i4. Same with the 100th guy. But this isn’t how it worked. Once you could configure your car,the dealer took this, entered it in the system. The same system they would put your order in if you were to want to order an M3 or any other bmw. Then it’s just you and the dealer waiting for bmw to accept your order, give you a production number and begin waiting for them to build your car. I preordered October 2021, and last week I got my prod number. It’s dumb that put money down before me don’t have their prod number. Then again this means nothing and they could leapfrog me and get their cars before me.

Yeah, I preordered in July and don't have a production number. I'm not going to worry too much about my specific place in line though (won't do any good, and their system doesn't make any sense anyway). I'm just encouraged that second wave M50s are finally showing some signs they might actually get built.

·
Registered
2014 BMW X1 - 143k miles (Waiting for my i4 M50)
20 Posts

Coming from a industrial materials company, I can tell you that this year's supply chain situation is off the wall bonkers. For example, we make friction coatings used in automotive brake pads, one of our resin suppliers that is used in these coatings put us on allocation. We were warned we were only going to receive 70% of our orders for the next 6 months due to supply chain tightening. Then they had labor issues (couldn't find enough workers to fill a third shift for 2 months) and we ACTUALLY only received 50%. Immediately we had already started to identify and qualify alternates as soon as supply chain risk became evident, so luckily 90 days in we dual sourced that resin.... but it took 3 months to qualify and put our customers in a blackout period (no product available) for 20 days. This has been my life for over a year. "Just in time" manufacturing (which is the strategy the entire automotive industry is built on) has been completely thrown out the window.

My point... you hear about chip shortages, but this extends into pretty much all materials across all sectors. In the coatings industry I have fought supply issues with Polyester resins and films, Vinyl films, pigments and TiO2, Flame retardants, tackifyers, crosslinkers... you name it. All these things go into cars at some point and you get little to no warning when supply chain issues hit. Think about it, suppliers can't give you early warning because as soon as they say supply chain of XX component is at risk, then everyone and their mother scramble and buy as much inventory as they can so that they make sure that "They get theirs". Then the global supply gets sucked up... inflation.... etc etc. I am not surprised that a schedule date moves around so much.... our production schedulers are working overtime managing all this --------- and moving schedules around like crazy to match when supply is available.

Edit Mod: Bad language

·
Registered
i4 eDrive40 M Sport
549 Posts
Any Canadian bothers or sisters get a recent allocation or production number? It seems like everything in Canada has completely stalled out. I am taking a Polestar 2 for a test drive tomorrow and will be asking the “how long order to delivery question”.
Fellow Canadian here, when the new 2023 prices were announced and because of the little movement we see here in Canada I decided to put a deposit for a Polestar 2 at the beginning of June.
Besides the site saying October after talking with the sales representatives a more realistic delivery date for a 2023 Polestar 2 is between Jan and March 2023.

However, a few days later I found a preconfigured 2022 Polestar 2 on their website with the exact same spec I originally ordered so I put another deposit on that one. This car is already buit and I have the VIN, is scheduled to arrive mid August.

In conlusion, 6 to 9 months for a new order or 2 to 3 months if you are lucky to catch a preconfigured car.

In the meantime my BMW dealer says my i4 should arrive by EOY. And to be honest with all these delays I doubt it so I plan to get the P2 and will see when the i4 arrives if I make the switch depening on trade-in value and final costs for the i4.

I agree that things feel completely stalled in Canada, my dealer says he receives just one allocation per month on the i4. On the other hand the iX is way easier to order.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Yeah, I preordered in July and don't have a production number. I'm not going to worry too much about my specific place in line though (won't do any good, and their system doesn't make any sense anyway). I'm just encouraged that second wave M50s are finally showing some signs they might actually get built.
For the record. I got a.production number in Dec on my pre-order. I was kicked from the schedule twice and now my car has been migrated to a MY2023 and I only have a tentative end of July, but l'm not scheduled.

A production number doesn't mean you are getting a car anytime soon. I have had a production number for six months.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
7 Posts

I called BMW Genius for the first time today, since that's where folks are getting their MY and their production week. It turns out that mine doesn't even have that much info., he said just "scheduled for production" but no estimated time frame. He said to check back in a month, ugh.

·
Registered
312 Posts
For the record. I got a.production number in Dec on my pre-order. I was kicked fr the schedule twice and now my car has been migrated to a MY2023 and I only have a tentative end of July, but Il not scheduled.

A production number doesn't mean you are getting a car anytime soon. I have had a production number for six months.

Waiting for my M50......
Conversely, not having a production number does mean you aren't getting a car any time soon. Would rather have one than not.

Reactions: gsbaker and Technic

·
Registered
312 Posts
I called BMW Genius for the first time today, since that's where folks are getting their MY and their production week. It turns out that mine doesn't even have that much info., he said just "scheduled for production" but no estimated time frame. He said to check back in a month, ugh.
I've been on "check back in a month" since December when I configured my July '21 pre-order. That's 6 checks so far :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Techwhiz1

·
Registered
550 Posts
For the record. I got a.production number in Dec on my pre-order. I was kicked fr the schedule twice and now my car has been migrated to a MY2023 and I only have a tentative end of July, but Il not scheduled.

Waiting for my M50......
In my case -and any case of ordering anything Individual- having a production number allows to place the Individual order and having whatever lead time is added to run concurrently with the wait for production, not necessarily added to production. I still wait, but one build is moving while the other is not, instead of nothing moving now with no production number.

·
Registered
312 Posts
In my case -and any case of ordering anything Individual- having a production number allows to place the Individual order and having whatever lead time is added to run concurrently with the wait for production, not necessarily added to production. I still wait, but one build is moving while the other is not, instead of nothing moving now with no production number.
Does Tanzanite (or the other standard "individual" colors that are available in the configurator) cause delays? I'm configured for Brooklyn Grey and I might stick with that or just give in to my nature and go for the dark blue option like I usually do.

201 - 220 of 349 Posts