BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm aware that you can start preconditioning from the app remotely but does preconditioning also warm the batteries??

·
Registered
309 Posts
It does in my Tesla. Needs to be on for a while though. I would think the same applies to the BMW. Every little helps when doing a road trip. It's also an underappreciated plus point of EV's - on cold winter mornings, turn on the heating remotely and go out to a nice toastie car, complete with de iced windows.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It does in my Tesla. Needs to be on for a while though. I would think the same applies to the BMW. Every little helps when doing a road trip. It's also an underappreciated plus point of EV's - on cold winter mornings, turn on the heating remotely and go out to a nice toastie car, complete with de iced windows.
Yes popular advice, this preheating conditioning and turning on seat heater and steering wheel heat before starting a trip helps range allowing less heater use winter and similarly setting ac to cool car before leaving in summer. I am even looking at light window tint , which keeps heat out in summer even parked, and holds heat in in winter

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
486 Posts
I'm aware that you can start preconditioning from the app remotely but does preconditioning also warm the batteries??
Good question.
But I'm sure I read, if a dc charging station is a Destination, it will preheat the battery before you get there. I might be wrong but I thought I read it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes popular advice, this preheating conditioning and turning on seat heater and steering wheel heat before starting a trip helps range allowing less heater use winter and similarly setting ac to cool car before leaving in summer. I am even looking at light window tint , which keeps heat out in summer even parked, and holds heat in in winter
For ppl that live in colder countries, a 12v heated blanket is a great investment hehe

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
But in winter the tinting allows less solar radiation in, so that doesn’t help with warming. Tinting is give & take.

·
Registered
60 Posts
But in winter the tinting allows less solar radiation in, so that doesn’t help with warming. Tinting is give & take.
My understanding is by keeping more heat in the car the heater needs to be run less.
( This is based on what several EV sites have said.)

·
Registered
MB GLA
319 Posts
in OS7 (iX3) exists an app to start preheating manually for dc charging while driving. Also the car gives you hints to do that.
Hmmm it's very interesting we could launch the preheating before to arrive at the charger so then the charging would be faster! To follow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the i3, the scheduled preheating applies to both the cabin and the batteries. The important thing to note is that the car must be plugged-in and the battery preheating programme starts 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure. If the i3 is not plugged in, only the cabin will be preheated. If the scheduled departure is in less than 3 hours, again, only the cabin is preheated. The reason for this behaviour is very simple as it takes quite a lot of energy to preheat several hundred kg of batteries. And it takes some time for the heat to properly spread across such a mass.

I would expect the i4 to have a similar, and hopefully improved, system as found on the i3.

My practical experience from cold months of the year is to set the preheating and also charge at the same time. That way the battery can be more easily warm across its whole mass. I would typically set the preheating for a morning departure and then set the start of charging during night so that is reaches full charge about 30 minutes before departure. The range has been best using this method on my i3.

·
Registered
MB GLA
319 Posts
On the i3, the scheduled preheating applies to both the cabin and the batteries. The important thing to note is that the car must be plugged-in and the battery preheating programme starts 3 hours prior to the scheduled departure. If the i3 is not plugged in, only the cabin will be preheated. If the scheduled departure is in less than 3 hours, again, only the cabin is preheated. The reason for this behaviour is very simple as it takes quite a lot of energy to preheat several hundred kg of batteries. And it takes some time for the heat to properly spread across such a mass.

I would expect the i4 to have a similar, and hopefully improved, system as found on the i3.

My practical experience from cold months of the year is to set the preheating and also charge at the same time. That way the battery can be more easily warm across its whole mass. I would typically set the preheating for a morning departure and then set the start of charging during night so that is reaches full charge about 30 minutes before departure. The range has been best using this method on my i3.
OK so I misunderstood your first post. Do you know if the preheating could be able via BMW application?

·
Registered
486 Posts

That's a great tip and makes complete sense.
Should make this a sticky hehehe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes - it does.
correct, when selecting it as destination, preheating when starting the car & if you plan a trip with the GPS and with version 8 it will guide you to the nearest charging station when you need to charge (in that case it will also precondition the battery so that you have the most optimal charging speeds)
I tested it when it was freezing a few days back doing a test drive with the IX40. Makes a big difference

1 - 16 of 16 Posts