BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Patiently waiting: I4 E40 M Sport Pckg San Remo Green
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Just wanted get a guesstimate of how long is it for production? My car has been showing “Production Begins” for like 2 weeks now. I spoke to Genius and they said it only takes a week to build the car. I have a VIN assigned but curious if anyone else who went into production this month still showing this status ?
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
952 Posts
My car is also an eDrive40, and spent ten days in 150 (Production Begins).

Have you found out what your production date is? You can get it from the Genius Line, your CA, or dig in the source code.

My production date (the date the vehicle will be completed) is June 23rd. It went to status 151 (exterior assembly) at 7:30am (Munich time) on the 20th, and 152 (In the Paint Booth) some time between Noon and 4pm (Munich time). It is still at 152, and it is now 8am on the 21st in Germany.

Somehow they assemble these things in just 3 days. 🤯

Reactions: Feeb

·
Registered
2012 Prius Plug-In
79 Posts
I'm most likely in the same production queue as @rollermonkey and @dudenjen. I got a VIN on 6/9, but nothing happened until 6/21, when I saw that I had moved into Assembly. Currently in the paint booth with the rest of the tanzanite crew. My CA did tell me that I was scheduled for completion on 6/24, although the web tricks show a completion date of 6/23. As long as you have a VIN and are still showing all of the options you want, you are good. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All

Just wanted get a guesstimate of how is it for production? My car has been showing “Production Begins” for like 2 weeks now. i spoke to Genius and they said it really only takes a week to build the car. I have a VIN assigned but curious if anyone else who went into production this month still showing same status?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well all looks like the car gods must have seen my post because as of this morning PST my car has entered exterior body assembly wooooohoooo. Based on what you all states it’s possible my cat maybe on a ship first or second week of july. thanks for the support everyone we all know this has been a process with I4s

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

·
Registered
i4 40e Brooklyn Grey/Black leather Blue stitching/M Sport pkg/Premium pkg/HK sound
196 Posts
Hi All

Just wanted get a guesstimate of how long is it for production? My car has been showing “Production Begins” for like 2 weeks now. I spoke to Genius and they said it only takes a week to build the car. I have a VIN assigned but curious if anyone else who went into production this month still showing this status ? View attachment 11181
Hi All

Just wanted get a guesstimate of how long is it for production? My car has been showing “Production Begins” for like 2 weeks now. I spoke to Genius and they said it only takes a week to build the car. I have a VIN assigned but curious if anyone else who went into production this month still showing this status ? View attachment 11181
I am in the same boat. Been at "production begins" since June 10.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All. I went to 150 and got a VIN # on 6/7. My Original manufactured date was today and as of this morning, my car is dispatched from the factory and on its way to the port. It's going to California since I am in Arizona. So I am thinking it could still be mid-Aug before I get the car.

·
Registered
952 Posts
There have been a lot of left coasters popping out of the woodwork this week.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All. I went to 150 and got a VIN # on 6/7. My Original manufactured date was today and as of this morning, my car is dispatched from the factory and on its way to the port. It's going to California since I am in Arizona. So I am thinking it could still be mid-Aug before I get the car.
Yeah i learned this weekend from bmw service that ship time is usually a standard month. which isn’t to bad considering it’s coming from Germany.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've been in 150 for 13 days. Still no change right now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Dear fellows, my dealer told me im 6th in line to get a production number. How long would that take? Ordered mine Dec 2021...
How long would what take?

To get a production number?
To get a car?

Frankly, the answer to both is the same: Nobody really knows.

Did you order an eDrive40 or an M50? To most in the US, it appears that 40's are being made at a faster clip than M50's. That could be wrong, since it's just based on forum members' experience and anecdotes.

To get a production number, either people in front of you need to cancel, or your dealer needs to get allocations.

Allocations in the US have been VERY scarce. They can't even fulfill all of the preorders from June 2021 before MY 2022 ends. Some folks who ordered summer of 2021 don't even have a production number.

Once you get the production number, it's still hard to say when the car will be made. Once you get that production number, a tentative date will be available, but those have not been particularly accurate.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it's better to settle in for a long wait, knowing it will be a long wait, than to think this will be over and done in a few weeks, and be horribly disappointed.

Plus, if you expect it to take a year, and it happens in 9 months, you'll be much happier than if you think it will be 6 months, and it takes 9.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm most likely in the same production queue as @rollermonkey and @dudenjen. I got a VIN on 6/9, but nothing happened until 6/21, when I saw that I had moved into Assembly. Currently in the paint booth with the rest of the tanzanite crew. My CA did tell me that I was scheduled for completion on 6/24, although the web tricks show a completion date of 6/23. As long as you have a VIN and are still showing all of the options you want, you are good. :)
Thank you looks like i saved myself a phone call. now let’s see how fats they get it done
How long would what take?

To get a production number?
To get a car?

Frankly, the answer to both is the same: Nobody really knows.

Did you order an eDrive40 or an M50? To most in the US, it appears that 40's are being made at a faster clip than M50's. That could be wrong, since it's just based on forum members' experience and anecdotes.

To get a production number, either people in front of you need to cancel, or your dealer needs to get allocations.

Allocations in the US have been VERY scarce. They can't even fulfill all of the preorders from June 2021 before MY 2022 ends. Some folks who ordered summer of 2021 don't even have a production number.

Once you get the production number, it's still hard to say when the car will be made. Once you get that production number, a tentative date will be available, but those have not been particularly accurate.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it's better to settle in for a long wait, knowing it will be a long wait, than to think this will be over and done in a few weeks, and be horribly disappointed.

Plus, if you expect it to take a year, and it happens in 9 months, you'll be much happier than if you think it will be 6 months, and it takes 9.
Dear fellows, my dealer told me im 6th in line to get a production number. How long would that take? Ordered mine Dec 2021...
TBH everyone on here has had a different experience. like i ordered end of March and got a production number in May. The dealership i ordered from is one of the largest in LA. so they get allocations frequently. But then i read that folks who preorder last summer still do not have a production number. i am not sure how BMW divides up the allocations but i would definitely check with your CA when was last time they have received these.
Hang in there i believe it will be worth the wait

·
Registered
952 Posts
TBH everyone on here has had a different experience. like i ordered end of March and got a production number in May. The dealership i ordered from is one of the largest in LA. so they get allocations frequently. But then i read that folks who preorder last summer still do not have a production number. i am not sure how BMW divides up the allocations but i would definitely check with your CA when was last time they have received these.
Hang in there i believe it will be worth the wait
Oh, I know everyone's experience is different, it was jus that the question was so vague, there was no way anyone could offer anything approaching a reasonable answer? No mention of location, e40 or M50, etc.

I mean, even knowing that they are 6th in line is not helpful by itself?
If they are 6th in line, of 6 waiting for M50's at a tiny dealership in a small market with few allocations, it could be much longer than if they are 6th of 60 waiting for an e40 at a large market, large dealership that is getting a steady stream of allocations.

We can certainly help figure out a ballpark answer for @someone_waiting_for_i4 , but we do need more information than they provided.(y)

Reactions: OptimusPrim3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, I know everyone's experience is different, it was jus that the question was so vague, there was no way anyone could offer anything approaching a reasonable answer? No mention of location, e40 or M50, etc.

I mean, even knowing that they are 6th in line is not helpful by itself?
If they are 6th in line, of 6 waiting for M50's at a tiny dealership in a small market with few allocations, it could be much longer than if they are 6th of 60 waiting for an e40 at a large market, large dealership that is getting a steady stream of allocations.

We can certainly help figure out a ballpark answer for @someone_waiting_for_i4 , but we do need more information than they provided.(y)
Sorry for the lack of detail. So my order is a M50 and the dealership is at BMW Seattle.

Just got an update from my dealer, got a production number and it is for model 2023 😂. Looks like I just have to prepare to wait for a long time :).

·
Registered
952 Posts
Sorry for the lack of detail. So my order is a M50 and the dealership is at BMW Seattle.

Just got an update from my dealer, got a production number and it is for model 2023 😂. Looks like I just have to prepare to wait for a long time :).
Well, hello, Neighbor!

I did a test drive at Seattle, (they got their demos almost 2 months before Bellevue) but my order is at Bellevue.

They claim to have gotten a larger number of pre-orders than any other dealership on the West Coast, but that statement is fraught with questions.

You have a production number now, so your wait for that bit was what, 11 days, but I'm guessing that you actually ordered MUCH earlier than when you asked. ;)

Unless you were given a production number from a cancellation (very common) you're in a 047 status. Your VIR will have a week for production requested, but you won't start getting "better" dates until BMW AG accepts the order and puts you in 111/112.

If you did get slipped into a cancellation, they might start making your car tomorrow. It's an absolute craps shoot as to production dates vs order dates, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to any of it.

If you didn't know, our cars will get delivered to Port Hueneme, CA, and trucked up from there. I don't have a sense how fast cars are getting out of the Oxnard VDC, though. Ship time from Bremerhaven to California is about 30 days, and there are only two shipping companies (that we're aware of) that are bringing BMWs on that route: NYK Line and Wallenius Wilhelmsen. Between the two, there's about 6-8 ships a month, so it's not a huge wait between ships if your car doesn't get on one.

Cars for the west coast have been waiting between 7 days and 7 weeks, with two weeks pretty close to the average.

There's a lot of info about other events along the timeline if you look around a bit, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, hello, Neighbor!

I did a test drive at Seattle, (they got their demos almost 2 months before Bellevue) but my order is at Bellevue.

They claim to have gotten a larger number of pre-orders than any other dealership on the West Coast, but that statement is fraught with questions.

You have a production number now, so your wait for that bit was what, 11 days, but I'm guessing that you actually ordered MUCH earlier than when you asked. ;)

Unless you were given a production number from a cancellation (very common) you're in a 047 status. Your VIR will have a week for production requested, but you won't start getting "better" dates until BMW AG accepts the order and puts you in 111/112.

If you did get slipped into a cancellation, they might start making your car tomorrow. It's an absolute craps shoot as to production dates vs order dates, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to any of it.

If you didn't know, our cars will get delivered to Port Hueneme, CA, and trucked up from there. I don't have a sense how fast cars are getting out of the Oxnard VDC, though. Ship time from Bremerhaven to California is about 30 days, and there are only two shipping companies (that we're aware of) that are bringing BMWs on that route: NYK Line and Wallenius Wilhelmsen. Between the two, there's about 6-8 ships a month, so it's not a huge wait between ships if your car doesn't get on one.

Cars for the west coast have been waiting between 7 days and 7 weeks, with two weeks pretty close to the average.

There's a lot of info about other events along the timeline if you look around a bit, too.
Wow thanks for the detailed info! And ya, I’m just gonna set my expectations rly low and not think about it until next year 😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts