BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to clutter the forum with many threads, so anything I'm noticing that there isn't already a thread about it I will put it here.

(1) I read about the windscreen of i4 been double-glazed (acoustic glass) but not a single mention about the side windows front or back. Not even acoustic glass for the front windows as an option.

(2) The M steering wheel seems (and AFIK is) thicker. I remember some years ago when I driven an M car, that my ...thumbs were "tired" after a few hours of driving it, (which surprised me back then).
Also Matt Watson (carwow) when he was testing the iX3 (I think) said "What an excellent steering wheel. BMW should put that to every car. Not like the thicker M steering wheel".

(3) iDrive 8 doesn't seem to have any new functionality over the iDrive 7. I mean nothing useful or significant. But obviously they could add things later on.

(4) Also I don't think that the large screens will look so large when we see them in person. Plus the A/C buttons are occupying a significant part of the bottom of the right screen making the (i think) small height even smaller. (Maybe they auto-hide or something, but then it will be even more difficult to access them)

(5) Also the whole A/C menu seems too complicate to operate while driving (please don't tell me about the "Hey BMW!" feature)

(5) The removal of the Memory buttons.
(6) No massage seats (just saying...) Also no ventilated seats available in my country that might be really useful in the summer (other colder countries have it as an option).

(7) Not sure about the instrument cluster's "angular" design.

Registered
To me the trend where everything suddenly has to be operated via the touch screen is something i dont like, but i hope they turn away from it quickly due to bad feedback.
Right now the only thing that could get worse i guess is if they used the 1 button for 10 fuctions garbage that mercedes and alot of others are introducing right now. God knows how they decided it was a good idea..

I am gladly paying more than 100Euro to change the plastic to metal in my car, and i would probably spec a 500Euro option or more expensive to get high quality A/C controls and other seat fuctions secured as physical buttons on the dash.

Like the "capasitive buttons" or whatever they call them in mercedes cars right now is obviously a realy bad gimmic that i would not want on my dash or even less on my steering wheel..

Realy bad design in every way possible. For me having stuff you wil be using during driving on the screen, and the screen only is a turnoff even before safety conserns just because i dont want a greasy nasty touchscreen in my car at all really. I never used the touch function in my current g30, and will probably try to avoid using it in my i4 as much as possible. 馃え

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you haven't see iDrive 8 in action yet, you can check this video (of the iX), where a guy just surfs through the menus for 4 minutes: (3:27-7:26)

I think the big 14,9" screen is greatly underused. :oops:

Also I couldn't find a positive opinion about the new instruments' cluster design, that I also don't like. In another forum a guy also posted this image that he made:

The thread is here:
https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807991

Since this is now just software I really hope that at some point they will update it. Maybe add more designs.
I wouldn't be surprised if they publish lots of "skins" of the cluster (and maybe even charge us for them)!!! :devilish:
Don't forget that you pay for the (so called) iconic sounds like 200鈧 already!

Registered
It has already been written in some of the press releases for the idrive 8 that more digital instruments will be available for download later on

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is anyone considering the Aluminium Exterior Trim?

Call me old-fashioned but I (usually) like the aluminium trim around the windows in cars. Especially with dark colors.
Tesla ditched the aluminum trim in their limited range of cars.
And BMW, to my surprise, just stopped offering the aluminum trim in the LCI of the iX3!

Is it really out of fashion or old school?

Here's a photo of the aluminum trim in aventurine red eDrive40 M-sport. My initial configuration (It may have looked better in darker colors)

Registered
I absolutely think the chrome around the windows look old-fashioned. I have a grey 5-series and after I vinyl-wrapped all the chrome bits, it looks a lot more modern.
It's better on the red though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I absolutely think the chrome around the windows look old-fashioned. I have a grey 5-series and after I vinyl-wrapped all the chrome bits, it looks a lot more modern.
It's better on the red though.
Thank you Inception. That's what I was afraid of, after reading yesterday about the updated iX3. If they decided to stop offering it, even as an option, it sure is old-fashioned.

Another thing that I'm still searching about the i4 is the acoustic glass in the front windows. It doesn't seem to be available.
On the other hand I'm not sure how effective it will be. Some YouTube videos and forum posts have inconclusive results, but BMW says (for the iX3 I was reading yesterday) that is essential if you value ...music or you are doing calls through the speakers.

Registered
Thank you Inception. That's what I was afraid of, after reading yesterday about the updated iX3. If they decided to stop offering it, even as an option, it sure is old-fashioned.

Another thing that I'm still searching about the i4 is the acoustic glass in the front windows. It doesn't seem to be available.
On the other hand I'm not sure how effective it will be. Some YouTube videos and forum posts have inconclusive results, but BMW says (for the iX3 I was reading yesterday) that is essential if you value ...music or you are doing calls through the speakers.
Well, they updated the Model 3 to double glazing, and I didn't think it made any difference at all. Some people also tried to measure it and couldn't spot a difference. My existing car is nice and quiet, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it. If you go and test-drive a 4-series it will probably give you a good indication of what to expect. BMW is always very good at insulating from the road, except for some of the M-cars of course.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, they updated the Model 3 to double glazing, and I didn't think it made any difference at all. Some people also tried to measure it and couldn't spot a difference. My existing car is nice and quiet, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it. If you go and test-drive a 4-series it will probably give you a good indication of what to expect. BMW is always very good at insulating from the road, except for some of the M-cars of course.
Yeah. I think I watched a video of (a fellow Norwegian like you) Bjorn Nyland who, if I recall correctly, he even find it less efficient, like half a db or so, on a model 3.
I just wonder about it because of the press release of iX3 where the acoustic glass is one of the differences of the two packages, inspiring and impressive. I think the called "essential" even for the back passengers.

Registered
The M steering wheel seems (and AFIK is) thicker. I remember some years ago when I driven an M car, that my ...thumbs were "tired" after a few hours of driving it, (which surprised me back then).
just viisit any BMW delaership and compare them - i did that (had to go to 3rd dealer to find a showcar without M :) - i had similar thoughts about M but comparing them live went for M one

(5) Also the whole A/C menu seems too complicate to operate while driving (please don't tell me about the "Hey BMW!" feature)
Agree :) however there is an "auto" (or AI) feature that should be enough (in volvo it works pretty well)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just viisit any BMW delaership and compare them
Yeah! That's the reason I haven't preordered. Wanted to see it in person. (The whole car not just the steering wheel! ) Maybe see a couple of colours too. Compare the M-sport package with the regular one etc. etc.

Registered
Yeah! That's the reason I haven't preordered. Wanted to see it in person. (The whole car not just the steering wheel! ) Maybe see a couple of colours too. Compare the M-sport package with the regular one etc. etc.
not sure if you know but currently it is over 6 months to get a car from ordering moment :) so it depends if you are in urge or not :) - i am for May 2022 (when my current lease ends) and was told that safe is to order mid November - early December (so before demos are at the dealerships i believe (at least in Poland - but wish to be wrong)
but.... if there is 4 GC at the dealership it is pretty much the same car :) (just with iDrive7)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is anyone bothered from this image?

Ok, everyone knows about the battery being underneath the floor, but in the i4 specifically this is the result!
On top, the guy is rather tall so the image is kind of funny! Like an adult seating in a playground with furniture made for kids!

Personally I don't mind that much. Obviously I wish it was better but I consider it a "sport-ish" car so you have to do a few compromises.

I would like to see a comparison with the fossil 4 series.
Also it would be interesting to see if the same is preserved in the i version of the 3 series. (I also wonder how they will call it. Not i3 i guess. )

Registered

Ok, everyone knows about the battery being underneath the floor, but in the i4 specifically this is the result!
On top, the guy is rather tall so the image is kind of funny! Like an adult seating in a playground with furniture made for kids!
for me the middle tunel bothers me much more :( i know why it is there but still

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for me the middle tunel bothers me much more :( i know why it is there but still
Yeah that too!
Someone said (I don't know if it is true. Doesn't seem like it in the technical images) that they could fit some battery cells in it.
it is over 6 months to get a car from ordering moment :) so it depends if you are in urge or not
No I'm not in a hurry. And that is a good a thing I think. Childhood diseases and all.

Registered
Yeah that too!
Someone said (I don't know if it is true. Doesn't seem like it in the technical images) that they could fit some battery cells in it.

Looks like it is mostly wires and the cooling for the batteries. But there is also some yellow "packages" in there.

Registered
View attachment 1155

I have tried the back seats of the i4 during a preview session. There is a little bit less space than in my current 2019 3-series Touring. So it is a bit tight for large adults. But no way as cramped as this photo would make you believe. Don't worry.
I am 1m80 and was very well able to sit behind myself. When I have adult passengers in the rear (in my case mostly aged people), I would probably move my seat 2 or 3 centimeters forward, just to make them more comfortable.

I have seen the video that this photo was taken from. If I remember well the presenter is close to 2 meters and the front seat is in his position. Not representative for the average european.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think this video is new.
Not very informative. Also the same Brooklyn Grey Metallic/Skyscraper Grey car.

The "bad" news, if the guy knows what he is talking about, first deliveries in 2022.

Registered
I think this video is new.
Not very informative. Also the same Brooklyn Grey Metallic/Skyscraper Grey car.

The "bad" news, if the guy knows what he is talking about, first deliveries in 2022.

The car in the video is Skyscraper Grey. Brooklyn Grey is only for M-sport / M cars :)

Registered
The car in the video is Skyscraper Grey. Brooklyn Grey is only for M-sport / M cars
Thanks - lots of people were saying it was Brooklyn Grey, which didn't tally with other on line pics of that colour. It's a shame they don't offer Skyscraper grey on the M50, I really like it.

I have spoken to my lease company, and also BMW Sytner in Chigwell and they both tell the same story - at least 3 months for deivery, probably more. So yes, well in to 2022. I'll be extending my current Model 3 P lease for 6 months to account for this.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts