BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 6 series coupe F13, BMW X3 G01
195 Posts
I found many recent (2020) comments about the M adaptive suspension (for 3/4 series) but basically they compared to the M sport non-adaptive.
Finally someone wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis93 View Post
Is there significant difference between m-adaptive in comfort mode and basic suspension (luxury line)? Has anyone tried both?
Answer:
The basic suspension is softer than the M Adaptive suspension even in comfort.

So, maybe if someone goes for the e40-M, where he has the choice of adaptive or not, and cares about comfort and ground clearance, it's better to skip it...
It makes sense as it should be a sporty setting adjustment. In German catalogue it mentions that (google translate). As the adaptive suspension is an option on both m and non m modes on the e40 it’s not clear if the tighter spring also applies to the m suspension or just base suspension

Adaptive M suspension
  • Electronically controlled dampers for each individual wheel
  • tighter spring / damper design
  • increased sportiness while maintaining a high level of comfort
  • Change of the setting depending on the setting of the Driving Experience Control - Extension of the Driving Experience Control to include the adaptive mode
  • including variable sports steering and Servotronic
in conjunction with the M Sport model
Only in connection with
18 "light alloy wheels double spoke 853 bicolor
18 "aerodynamic wheels 854 Multicolor with mixed tires
18 "M aerodynamic wheels 858 M Bicolor
19 "aerodynamic wheels 855 bicolor with mixed tires
19 "M aerodynamic wheels 860 M Bicolor with mixed tires
19 "M light alloy wheels Y-spoke style 859 M bi-color with mixed tires or sports tires
20" BMW Individual aerodynamic wheels 862 I bi-color with mixed tires

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
99% of the comments I found were between the adaptive-M vs. the non-adaptive-M despite that in some cases the original question was a comparison between the adaptive-M and the standard-non-adaptive-non-M suspension, which is the case for the i4 e40.

Anyway, without being sure, what I got is, that in terms of Comfort it goes like this:
STANDARD > Comfort mode in Adaptive-M > Sport mode in Adaptive-M > non-adaptive-M

Of course like J78 wrote the wheels are playing a major factor and with Standard i4 suspension you can get the (not ugly) 852 17" wheels and thus have the best combination for Comfort AND the best ground clearance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anyway, without being sure, what I got is, that in terms of Comfort it goes like this:
STANDARD > Comfort mode in Adaptive-M > Sport mode in Adaptive-M > non-adaptive-M
I would support that ranking. Which in the end means (wheel size apart of course) for the i4

1) If getting the e40 don’t forget to get the adaptive if going for the m pack and

2) if going for the m50 there nothing to choose on suspension

·
Registered
232 Posts
Some more random observations:

It looks like the small room next to the HK subwoofer is enough space for a charging cable:
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

And a "night" shot with the ambient lights. Love the sporty look of the interior!
Vehicle Car Automotive design Flash photography Automotive lighting

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW I have a G21 in M-sport with the non-adaptive M suspension. Unless you drive on roads with loads of potholes it is absolutely fine and not at all harsh. Obviously it depends on what you are used to, but BMW's are always a bit harsher that for instance Mercedes models. Prior to my current model, I have had both E- and F models with non-adaptive M suspension and they definitely improved it from G series and onwards. When the G20 and G21 launched, all test-vehicles were without adaptive suspension because the engineers specifically wanted the reviewers to notice the increased versatility and compliance in the non-adaptive M suspension.

I have and M50 on order, so including the adaptive M suspension as standard, but if it was an extra, I would probably not add it to the spec. It is subjective I know, but I like the ride quite firm.

·
Registered
195 Posts
FWIW I have a G21 in M-sport with the non-adaptive M suspension. Unless you drive on roads with loads of potholes it is absolutely fine and not at all harsh. Obviously it depends on what you are used to, but BMW's are always a bit harsher that for instance Mercedes models. Prior to my current model, I have had both E- and F models with non-adaptive M suspension and they definitely improved it from G series and onwards. When the G20 and G21 launched, all test-vehicles were without adaptive suspension because the engineers specifically wanted the reviewers to notice the increased versatility and compliance in the non-adaptive M suspension.

I have and M50 on order, so including the adaptive M suspension as standard, but if it was an extra, I would probably not add it to the spec. It is subjective I know, but I like the ride quite firm.
Good to hear your view. I also noticed improvement from my f13 m adaptive to the g01 x3 m non adaptive both with 20” but they are different cars and the 20” on the g01 have 1cm more of rubber height.

Out of curiosity which e and f cars did you have and what were the wheel sizes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good to hear your view. I also noticed improvement from my f13 m adaptive to the g01 x3 m non adaptive both with 20” but they are different cars and the 20” on the g01 have 1cm more of rubber height.

Out of curiosity which e and f cars did you have and what were the wheel sizes?
I've had an E89 35i m-sport with std. m-sport non-adaptive suspension. This was running on 21's and felt like a horsecarridge but tires were massive :LOL:. Besides this a E87 m-sport running on 18's, two F20's m-sport both on 18's as well, then an F36 m-sport on 18's and finally the current G21 m-sport on 19's. I've tested a G01 X3 m-sport with 20's recently and that felt alot like my G21 in terms of comfort to be honest, but it was a hybrid and as far as I know, the suspension is slightly different due to battery weight.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had an E89 35i m-sport with std. m-sport non-adaptive suspension. This was running on 21's and felt like a horsecarridge but tires were massive :LOL:. Besides this a E87 m-sport running on 18's, two F20's m-sport both on 18's as well, then an F36 m-sport on 18's and finally the current G21 m-sport on 19's. I've tested a G01 X3 m-sport with 20's recently and that felt alot like my G21 in terms of comfort to be honest, but it was a hybrid and as far as I know, the suspension is slightly different due to battery weight.
Good to hear your experience and evolution.

Going from 18” f36 to 19” g21 with improved comfort are good news.

I suppose though that the 4 series would have a sportier suspension setup than the 3 series, specially the touring.

The i4 should have a different feeling altogether, due to rear air suspension setup

Key to this are unique suspension set-ups for both i4 variants. Rear air suspension is fitted as standard, while the M50 adds adaptive M dampers. Both versions of the i4 receive a new dynamic stability control system that acts up to 10 times faster than a conventional set-up.
Full article here https://www.autodaily.com.au/exclusive-qa-on-the-new-bmw-i4-electric-car/

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I stumble upon a more than 18 months old video of the concept i4 and we can see what happens when you put ...water into your wine just before the production model.
I won't list the differences like the fully glass roof or the elegant aesthetics or the assisted view that show turns and the opposite lane of cars...
Automotive design Gadget Flat panel display Font Vehicle

...Just a reminder before the avalanche of i4 reviews that is coming in 4 days.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Also a pre-taste (not test) from Bjorn Nyland about the i4!
@1:37-4:09
You can see him somehow confused about the idrive 8 (Windows 95) apps and If I'm not mistaken the "High" setting is the same as putting B mode with the lever, so he "loses" options by doing this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
100%
410 Km
Umm
Don’t focus much on that - this is with long stand switched on and flooring. I can show you ICE consumption of my XC60 when leaving garage and waiting for door to close that has 1300L/100km - would you consider this a real consumption?

Reactions: J78 and Inside

·
Registered
232 Posts
100%
410 Km
Umm
You can also see here what can impact the range. Assume that all reviewers are testing with heavy foot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I stumble upon a more than 18 months old video of the concept i4 and we can see what happens when you put ...water into your wine just before the production model.
I won't list the differences like the fully glass roof or the elegant aesthetics or the assisted view that show turns and the opposite lane of cars...
View attachment 1841

BMW had many interesting features in the i4 concept that was a pity not to include them in the final version. The front with thinner headlights and cleaner lower bumper it's' my favorite.

It was also a way to further differentiate and increase the appeal to the electric car vs 4 GC ICE, which ended up being identical, apart from the id8 - but which probably will make it to the 4 GC LCI later on.

The Audi Etron GT is almost identical to the concept version for example, and completely different from A6 / A7, and most reviewers consider the Etron GT the most beautiful Audi design ever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BMW had many interesting features in the i4 concept that was a pity not to include them in the final version.
I guess that BMW wanted to offer a real option to Tesla Model 3. In order to do that, they needed to keep the production cost and hence customer price as close to TM3 as possible. Price for M50 model was a nice surprise, but at the same time we lost some nice features and design that the concept had.

We have couple long days before Oct 13th but IX reviews have been promising..

·
Registered
MB GLA
76 Posts
Don’t focus much on that - this is with long stand switched on and flooring. I can show you ICE consumption of my XC60 when leaving garage and waiting for door to close that has 1300L/100km - would you consider this a real consumption?
The range showing on the cluster is always based on the way that the last driver has run it, it was maybe on Sport mode. Those cars are for press release and yutubers like to drive fast. Let see the reviews this week 😊

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 1841

YMMV, but I think the production model is WAY BETTER than the concept, which seems to me just too "girly".
I don't think most women would even drive around in this, save perhaps some Hollywood celebs.
There is just too much pink, copper -- too bright. As for screen showing turns -- keep your eyes at the road.
I do feel cheated for the all-glass roof however. But in retrospect, I'd rather have the sunroof. It is something
I miss in my current car, as side windows can not be open at higher speeds, whereas a sunroof can.

·
Registered
195 Posts
YMMV, but I think the production model is WAY BETTER than the concept, which seems to me just too "girly".
I don't think most women would even drive around in this, save perhaps some Hollywood celebs.
There is just too much pink, copper -- too bright. As for screen showing turns -- keep your eyes at the road.
I do feel cheated for the all-glass roof however. But in retrospect, I'd rather have the sunroof. It is something
I miss in my current car, as side windows can not be open at higher speeds, whereas a sunroof can.
The concept colors are completely girly!!
Here’s a potential customer: :)

although in my opinion I like the front and rear design of the concept more than the production - the lines are cleaner and more distinguishable from the current BMW.

I’m supportive of the sunroof vs all glass roof without internal shade. It’s just too hot in the summer, at least around here. I had sunroofs and panoramic sunroofs since my first car in 1996 and the internal sunshade is essencial in the summer.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts