BMW i4 Forum banner
141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Good news for Greece (and probably the rest of the Europe and the World) (y)

Thousands of new points of electric vehicle charging will be placed throughout the Territory during the years 2021-2022, according to figures cited by the Environment and Energy minister George Amyras response to a topical question of MEP ND Fotini Pipili about the lack of specific infrastructures for use electric cars .
The years 2020 and 2021 were registered 7510 EV cars.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
Just read about this:
Intelligent Speed Assistance
A satellite based system, local inside your car, that prevents you from going other the road's speed limit, by limiting the power of the car.
It starts in 2022 in Europe.
Anyone is rethinking the M40 over the e40?

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
You might have forgotten to include this part of it too:
“The system can be overridden, or temporarily switched off.”

And then there’s this:
“This will also apply to all new vehicles sold from 2023.”

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
I read it in this Greek article that says all the new vehicles from 7/2022. You can even see the 2022 from inside the URL.

In any case it is what is coming. And even if you buy an i4 "without" the ISA, don't forget that it is essentially a computer and when the time comes...it will updated.
And again, don’t forget it can be turned off. And this will impact all cars, not just the i4.

·
Registered
199 Posts
And again, don’t forget it can be turned off. And this will impact all cars, not just the i4.
I can imagine how this may affect insurance claims if it's shown to be off at the time of an accident. That said, I will be turning it off I would think. I was monitoring my speed the other day in a 30mph zone - it was really really hard to not exceed it by a few mph on numerous occasions. All the fun is being bled out of driving.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I think you misinterpreting the “The system can be overridden, or temporarily switched off.”.
Obviously the car won't kill you by limiting power when you try to overcome another car or in a dire situation or a maneuver. But that will be the exception.

And of course it's not only for the i4. :p Imagine that!

·
Registered
229 Posts
There are situations where hitting the gaspedal is safer than braking.
Besides, the driver will always (and I mean always) have the last word, so he always will be able to override the machine-made actions

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have memories of a few years ago. My dad had a similar (but much less sophisticated) speed warning in his Civic. Basically, every time it went over 30mph it gave a warning sound. Honestly, it drove me nuts with 10 minutes. I was almost begging him to turn it off.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
I think you misinterpreting the “The system can be overridden, or temporarily switched off.”.
Obviously the car won't kill you by limiting power when you try to overcome another car or in a dire situation or a maneuver. But that will be the exception.

And of course it's not only for the i4. :p Imagine that!
I interpreted 'temporarily switched off' as meaning I get into the car and I turn it off. It will stay off for the duration of that drive. That's how some other standard features work in cars I've owned. They're on by default, but they can be turned off for the duration of the drive. A PIA, but not the end of the world either.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
I interpreted 'temporarily switched off' as meaning I get into the car and I turn it off. It will stay off for the duration of that drive. That's how some other standard features work in cars I've owned. They're on by default, but they can be turned off for the duration of the drive. A PIA, but not the end of the world either.
No. It doesn't work like that. You get inside the car and ...disable it. You don't have the final word. The law and the car has it.

Just remembered a fun segment in Top Gear. They suit up to drift with a car (don't remember which) wearing helmets and race uniforms but the car had smart electronic handbrake that didn't allow that. When they tried the car just stopped smoothly to safety. And with their faces down they said "Computer says No!".
That was the point of the segment.

All this is part of the "Vision Zero" initiative i.e. 0 deaths from traffic accidents by 2050.

Not only you won't be able to disable the system "every time you drive" as you think but there will be a remote log of all your driving behaviour. Times change...
In another thread "what you will be missing when you buy the i4" I wrote in a sentence "my privacy". BMW will know every little trip you make and every behaviour. And you can't disable that either.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
70 Posts
The privacy part has been around longer than you think in many cars, not just BMW. If you're going to try to avoid all these things, you better go get yourself a scooter. ;) BTW, I sure hope you don't use social media if privacy is a concern. :)

Personally I will proceed with the I4. Each to his own.

As for the disabling part, how do we know what the mechanism will be for temporarily disabling it? We haven't see a car with it yet, so how would we know at this point.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·

·
Registered
199 Posts
Such things make me want to just get an old analogue ICE car and drive it until it dies. Then I look again at the M50 and think - oh heck, yes please. At least we can have fun getting to the speed limit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Yeah. I will definitely keep a couple of "analogue" cars in hand, even if they try to make it unbearable to own (taxes, fuel etc).

Also don't forget eCall which is mandatory in Europe.

All new cars to incorporate a system that automatically contacts the emergency services in the event of a serious accident, sending location and sensor information.
And you have to be naive to believe that this thing doesn't ping its servers every chance it gets.

Unfortunately we have to live with that. In my (rooted) smartphones I'm (relatively) sure that most of "legal spies" are disabled but with cars it is a different story.

If you disable the attention cams most of the autopilot staff it won't work. If you try to disable eCall or ISA the car might not move properly or nag you to death about it.

Anyway we will see (and endure?)...

141 - 160 of 198 Posts