BMW i4 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Electric Cars: Cable charging on the move is being tested by a company in the UK

Auto-translated ftom Greek.
(It says WITHOUT cables! )
(The title's autotranslation missed that!)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Electric Cars: Cable charging on the move is being tested by a company in the UK

Auto-translated ftom Greek.
(It says WITHOUT cables! )
(The title's autotranslation missed that!)

if you consider the energy efficiency, the cost, and the logistics, I think it is the worst solution :cry:

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Meanwhile Volvo invests to something that might be the next step in Augmented (or something) Reality.

And while BMW executive says that they don't work anymore on efficiency, Mercedes replies with this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The glass is made to be quiet as base. It's an EV, you know.

For climate there are auto-presets. When you own the car, you have the time to figure out what each part does. It can get quire complicated, especially in iX where there is a bunch of hidden infra-red panels that heat without airflow.

There are shortcut buttons on the screen in the top menu - swipe from top down and there is a bunch of programmable squares that also show what is in them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just read about this:
Intelligent Speed Assistance
A satellite based system, local inside your car, that prevents you from going other the road's speed limit, by limiting the power of the car.
It starts in 2022 in Europe.
Anyone is rethinking the M40 over the e40?
The system has been in most BMW cars for years. It is the speed limit assist. The only difference is that it will be enabled by default when the car is turned on. When the system is active you just max out at speed limit (+/- user configurable offset, up to 10 km/h). If you really need more speed in an emergency, press the accelerator pedal all the way and the system will be overriden automatically. And you can also just turn it off at any time. I use it all the time when I don't want to get speeding tickets, but also do not want to turn on full blown driver assist.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
The huge difference is that the car will log your speed and behaviour and send it to servers.
These are first steps to something more strict. What you know, you can forget. Everything will change.

...the speed limiters will come alongside data loggers, autonomous emergency braking systems, lane keep assist, driver fatigue detection systems and other safety measures. It’s not all quite as bad as you may think, as the European Transport and Safety Council admits the system will come with a full on/off switch initially. This is only “to aid public acceptance at introduction” however, and so it’s likely that it intends to push for even stricter rules in the future, meaning a permanent system may come into force.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Data loggers are on-board black box recorders. They have been standard on cars in EU for a while. It's called EDR and has also been in BMW cars for years. Same as driver fatigue detection system. Nothing is sent to any servers, but it can be recovered from the car in case of a crash.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Ok, if you are sure about that, but I doubt it.

BMW is proud of their millions cars fleet that sends real time traffic data (i.e. your position at any given time, your speed etc.) and you can't do anything about it.
I highly doubt that this kind of data stays "local" because...well...not many things are.
Eventually the system will be there, after a few warnings, to punish you, write you a ticket and take away your driving licence.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BMW is proud of their millions cars fleet that sends real time traffic data (i.e. your position at any given time, your speed etc.) and you can't do anything about it.
I highly doubt that this kind of data stays "local" because...well...not many things are.
Eventually the system will be there, after a few warnings, to punish you, write you a ticket and take away your driving licence.
There is no legal requirement for any such things. And systems that have been in BMW cars for nearly a decade already fulfill all coming EU requirements already. The EDR records and remembers last 30 seconds of driving data and overwrites older data in a loop. It simply does not have more memory. And sending all that data from millions of cars over the air would require massive bandwidth and very powerful servers. Why should BMW pay for all of that?

I know that very well, because when we are actually testing cars at BMW and do need to record full driving data from a car, we need to put a powerful server in the trunk of the car and make sure the data drive is empty before drivign anywhere because driving data can be measured in tens of gigabytes per hour. Not only it is far too much to send over mobile data, but even some hard drives are too slow to record it all at times.

In the far future of 2100ish, maybe cars will be able to detect drivers breaking the rules and submitting tickets for law enforcement to review, but they are most likely to be full-self-driving cars doing that about drivers of other cars on the road - someone cuts you off, ticket report submitted automatically. Far easier to sell that to both law makers and to users. Each ticket needs review by a qualified law enforcement officer in any case before any kind of penalty can be issued.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
And sending all that data from millions of cars over the air would require massive bandwidth and very powerful servers. Why should BMW pay for all of that?
I don't think that bandwidth and storage is a problem for multi-billion euros companies.
I can't answer "Why" BMW might want that, but I think the answer is similar to "Why" Microsoft is gathering telemetry data from billions of PCs. They want to "improve the ...user experience" (in their own words). Or to dominate the world! Take your pick! (Any) information is gold. Big Data is a fact. Why a ...robotic vacuum want to map and measure and make blueprints of your house (and upload them to Xiaomi servers or wherever).
In the far future of 2100ish, maybe cars will be able to detect drivers breaking the rules and submitting tickets for law enforcement to review,
The point is that it's in the nearest future and not the 22nd century.
04/2018 eCall is mandatory and {copy/paste from wikipedia} Depending on the final implementation of the system, it may be possible for the system to become activated without an actual crash taking place. Also, the occupants of the car have no control over the remote activation of the microphone, making a car susceptible to eavesdropping.
05/2022 Intelligent speed assistance is mandatory too.
10/2024 blah-blah-blah is also mandatory.

These are not ...airbags or seat belts for your protection. These are tracking systems.

Anyway, I hope you're right and Microsoft, Google, Apple, Samsung, the Chinese companies and...and...and of course BMW (!) to keep our data local and save their money from useless servers and hard drives and use it for some R&D for our benefit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no legal requirement for any such things. And systems that have been in BMW cars for nearly a decade already fulfill all coming EU requirements already. The EDR records and remembers last 30 seconds of driving data and overwrites older data in a loop. It simply does not have more memory. And sending all that data from millions of cars over the air would require massive bandwidth and very powerful servers. Why should BMW pay for all of that?
Data is king.... Using Tesla as an example has an enormous datalake for their fleet... storage is relatively cheap.. and you don't need massive CPU for storage IO. mining the data is another topic, but that's where data science, GPGPUs, etc. come into play.

I know that very well, because when we are actually testing cars at BMW and do need to record full driving data from a car, we need to put a powerful server in the trunk of the car and make sure the data drive is empty before driving anywhere because driving data can be measured in tens of gigabytes per hour. Not only it is far too much to send over mobile data, but even some hard drives are too slow to record it all at times.
True, but with 5G Edge, Smart Roads, Autonomous vehicles, manufacturers need a LOT of data - which is generated from all the sensors on the car. That's not to say the bulk data upload is occurring in real time over cellular. If I use my Tesla as an example, it sends ~3-5GB of data out every few days over my home network... and I don't even have the "new" FSD Beta code. Eventually cars will be using 5G (6G, etc) for real-time data, with the bulk of the ML/DL processing in-car...because the car needs to work without a network connection.

In the far future of 2100ish, maybe cars will be able to detect drivers breaking the rules and submitting tickets for law enforcement to review, but they are most likely to be full-self-driving cars doing that about drivers of other cars on the road - someone cuts you off, ticket report submitted automatically. Far easier to sell that to both law makers and to users. Each ticket needs review by a qualified law enforcement officer in any case before any kind of penalty can be issued.
God, I hope not.... at least from a legal standpoint. Tesla, with their "Beta" FSD evaluation, the interior camera is tracking the driver, along with speed and other telemetry. There is a one strike rule... if you aren't staying attentive, speeding or doing anything it deems "bad", they put you in FSD time out (for the remainder of the drive) or will boot you from the evaluation completely, putting you back on the GA code. I could totally see car manufacturers doing that to reduce risk if some dimwit keeps doing stupid stuff.

161 - 180 of 197 Posts