BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To talk about anything and everything, more or less related to the i4.

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Previously, on i4

Very interesting, @Mycroft . USA's average is 11.9 years, somewhat over mine ((1+2+19)/3 = 7.3), France is at 8.0, no surprise on the top 3 petro-dollars driven (times will change for them...), China is distorted because car ownership is spreading like wildfire over there, but look at Belgium, the UK, Poland and Luxembourg. Are these guys much richer than the rest of us? Also Norway ought to be fairly low in the list, being that they wholesale migrated to EVs recently, I don't see them at all?
It's not directly related to purchasing power, but it helps.
I know that Luxembourg is always amazing, whatever the statistics are, it doesn't surprise me anymore :)
Concerning Norway: I guess the new craze for EVs will show up in the next stats

Font Material property Pattern Screenshot Parallel

(sorry @Lord )

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Interesting to compare with the car age, reproduced here but posted originally by @Mycroft, e.g. the US have among the highest wages but have cars averaging 11.9 years, whereas Poland is 25th in the Wages list but has cars averaging 5.8 years. The missing element could be the % of households with at least one car, if few people have cars then it would distort the car age average towards the people rich enough to afford one or more.
Font Parallel Slope Rectangle Terrestrial plant

·
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The missing element could be the % of households with at least one car, if few people have cars then it would distort the car age average towards the people rich enough to afford one or more.
lot of noise, no real trend for these countries:
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
486 Posts
Is there a specific cover for the wireless charger area or is the whole cover that goes over cupholder?
Another thought those cupholders are gonna be tricky near your phone.

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
955 Posts
I would rather not have any cupholders in my car. I simply don't drink in the car.
Besides, it is proven that drinking in the car (and I don't mean alcohol but rather coffee, or soda, or water or....) is dangerous while you're driving. You tilt your head in a way you can hardly see anything on the road, with some possible nasty consequences as a result.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would rather not have any cupholders in my car. I simply don't drink in the car.
Besides, it is proven that drinking in the car (and I don't mean alcohol but rather coffee, or soda, or water or....) is dangerous while you're driving. You tilt your head in a way you can hardly see anything on the road, with some possible nasty consequences as a result.
I drink coffee on my motorcycle, hasn't been an issue tilting my head. Lol

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
Not if you use a straw.

·
955 Posts
Not if you use a straw.
Well, be glad you can use a straw because if you would hit something, you might need a straw for the rest of your life, for every type of drink (or maybe even your food)...

·
Registered
210 Posts
This is why I'm hopeful for level 3 driving in the i4 at some point in not too long. I think BMW was one of the last big manufactures to put cup holders in their cars but if someone could fact check that for me that would be great.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
lot of noise, no real trend for these countries:
Actually, @Mycroft , using the classical 2 x 2 split (low age low qty/low age high qty/high age low qty/high age high qty), we can infer that:
  • USA, Australia, Canada, Finland have high average age and high number of cars because people hang on to their car longer, bringing up both quantity and age
  • Belgium, UK, Sweden Ireland have low average age and low number of cars because people change car often and don't keep them for long
  • The upper left quadrant is more of a mixed bag, Poland kind of throws me off. Luxembourg has a high revenue per capita so they can afford a big quantity of recent model cars, Italian are car fanatics so they buy cars even if they can't afford it.
  • And the lower right are the poor people, can't afford a late model car and not a high number of cars.

Ok, a lot of the stuff above are jokes and exaggerated stereotypes. Just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well, be glad you can use a straw because if you would hit something, you might need a straw for the rest of your life, for every type of drink (or maybe even your food)...
Can't be more dangerous then touching a touchscreen display and taking your eyes off the road.

·
955 Posts
Can't be more dangerous then touching a touchscreen display and taking your eyes off the road.
Exactly!
I would rather have them take away the touchscreen option than the HK system, or the auto-drive functions

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Is there a specific cover for the wireless charger area or is the whole cover that goes over cupholder?
Another thought those cupholders are gonna be tricky near your phone.
@XtBimmer , all the YouTubes show that there is a single cover that opens up, revealing the 2 cup holders and the phone holder behind it with the wireless charger if equipped. I also think that the NFC transponder is in there because the "classic" BMW Key is created by putting the phone in there, and an NFC phone car key has to be put in there to start the engine. The "New" UWB phone car key scheme does not have these restrictions but requires later phones (especially Android, it requires Samsung S21 and Pixel 8).

·
955 Posts
One of the biggest safety features in a car would be a jammer!!!
Your phone should be jammed whenever you're driving because even calling or texting handsfree is life threatening

Reactions: M.Juul

·
Registered
486 Posts
@XtBimmer , all the YouTubes show that there is a single cover that opens up, revealing the 2 cup holders and the phone holder behind it with the wireless charger if equipped. I also think that the NFC transponder is in there because the "classic" BMW Key is created by putting the phone in there, and an NFC phone car key has to be put in there to start the engine. The "New" UWB phone car key scheme does not have these restrictions but requires later phones (especially Android, it requires Samsung S21 and Pixel 8).
Yeah thats what I thought. It's still pretty tricky having that cupholder there. Hehe

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
@JST1963 , I need to figure out how you tilt your head when drinking ;). I tilt it up and still see the road from both sides of my cup, note though that I exclusively use a specialized cup with a push button that opens a valve when I drink and closes it back when I release the button. I would agree though that drinking from an uncovered cup or a cup with a standard cover is dangerous for spills and especially reaction to hot liquid spills. But then again, us crazy Americans invented the concept of car cupholders in the first place :cool:

·
955 Posts
But then again, us crazy Americans invented the concept of car cupholders in the first place :cool:
Yeah, thanks to the fast food business 🤣

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This is why I'm hopeful for level 3 driving in the i4 at some point in not too long. I think BMW was one of the last big manufactures to put cup holders in their cars but if someone could fact check that for me that would be great.
Great point, @Ultrachrome . Even level 2+ as implemented in the i4 with DAP (adaptive cruise with Stop & Go and lane keeping) allows you to temporarily take your hands off the steering to sip a drink...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Will the i4 be a tough sale in some Eastern Asian culture because "4" is often considered an unlucky number in some of those cultures? Thanks for a place for a question not worthy for the main board.

1 - 20 of 256 Posts