BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some elements about range, after playing with data. Values are in "WLTP km" i.e. derived from this protocol.
The goal is not to give precise numbers, but orders of magnitude

Electrical consumption
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

---

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Circle

• “Battery preservation” means that you won’t use it from 0 to 100%, but rather from 10% to 90%, which virtually increases consumption by 25%. I don't know what BMW recommends. [EDIT : 10% - 80%]
  • “Air conditioning” considers only heating/cooling consumption, while “Temperature” reflects the effect on vehicle efficiency (where hotter is better).

WLTP range (°C, mode, speed)
M50 / 510km WLTP / air conditioning activated:
Rectangle Slope Line Font Plot

Minimum power needs for daily charging
Examples of minimum power requirement for a 9-hour daily charging:
Slope Rectangle Font Line Plot

So if you drive fast or long, it may be necessary to install a powerful charger

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not the best at reading charts. I'll be driving about 140 km per day to and from work (about a 3 way split between 50, 80, and 130 km/h speeds) with the option to charge at work but not at home on a standard Clever charging box.
If I'm at work (charging) for 7+ hours would that be a sustainable situation for me? Or would I need to do supplemental charges on the way home?

Nordic climate and the i4 eDrive40 model which I intend to drive in EcoPro mode.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nordic climate @~100km/h should give at least 350 km range for an eDrive40 in EcoPro mode
so you'll use 280/350 = 80% of your battery
80%*80,7kWh/7h = 9kW, so it should be ok with a 11kW wallbox

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nordic climate @~100km/h should give at least 350 km range for an eDrive40 in EcoPro mode
so you'll use 280/350 = 80% of your battery
80%*80,7kWh/7h = 9kW, so it should be ok with a 11kW wallbox
Sounds good. And that's a conservative estimate of a reduced real world range of 350 km out of the 590 km range from WLTP?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New information in the user manual, to extend the lifespan of the battery:

Rectangle Font Art Handwriting Circle

so it's a 30% drop in the km range, more than I thought

·
Registered
112 Posts
New information in the user manual, to extend the lifespan of the battery:

View attachment 1950

so it's a 30% drop in the km range, more than I thought
Well - that is how it is with ANY EV
for your daily commute use this range, but if you travel longer feel free to use 99%
the reason for this is that Li-on batteries do not like at all being fully charged of not charger at all - just like your laptop (have you ever seen laptop batteries that were “swollen”? And in laptops it’s the same (it prevents battery to be fully charged daily

Reactions: BasedGlob

·
Registered
MB GLA
63 Posts
With that size of battery you absolutely need a wall box at home or get a public charger near you but using a fast charger all the time will degrade the battery!
Concerning the range in cold or hot climate the system will work to keep the battery at the right temperature level and you will have to keep the cabin fresh or hot for Wifie, believe me 30% drop is VERY good at -20C.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we're talking about two different things, taking into account temperature effects (-30%) and battery preservation (use between 10%-80%) gives 0.7x0.7= 49% of the initial autonomy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts