BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the recommended 80% State of Charge what is your range? I am at 201 miles with the edrive40 with 19's, B mode in Eco Pro mode.

V/R

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,583 Posts
I would think you should be getting 230-240 miles. Hmmmm............

Reactions: M3HNGRY

·
Super Moderator
2005 BMW M3 940whp
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would think you should be getting 230-240 miles. Hmmmm............
I would think so too but I just picked it up this past weekend. Time will tell...

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,474 Posts
I get about 240 miles. The odd thing is my lifetime numbers are 4.0mi/kWh, so you would think I’d be closer to 250-260 miles @80%.
Ken7,

I agree with your expected range of 260 miles.

I would believe the lifetime mi/kWh average over the built-in range estimate.

If a person wants to know the range for making trips, they can do a test drive under conditions typical of the intended type of road trip. Go for a couple of hours and look at trip value for mi/kWh. Then they can expect to get that range for travel in general.

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
Ken7,

I agree with your expected range of 260 miles.

I would believe the lifetime mi/kWh average over the built-in range estimate.

If a person wants to know the range for making trips, they can do a test drive under conditions typical of the intended type of road trip. Go for a couple of hours and look at trip value for mi/kWh. Then they can expect to get that range for travel in general.
So, @gsbaker, how different are you seeing the ranges when you’re out having fun off the line versus in traffic or other limiting conditions?

Reactions: M3HNGRY

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,978 Posts
I’d love to understand how we get these large variabilities. To get 275 miles @80% charge, I think I’d need to be averaging in the vicinity of 5 mi/kWh. That ain’t happening.

One thing I wonder, are you on 18” wheels? Could there be some king of programming in these estimates that are based on EPA estimates and to some degree ignore your actual driving history?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
So, @gsbaker, how different are you seeing the ranges when you’re out having fun off the line versus in traffic or other limiting conditions?
Much of my driving has been in the mountains, where the mileage is rather good, because I must drive slower than on the highway. There the range drops drastically going up and increases going down.

I tend to gain back 40 miles of range going down under regen. The trips average a little less than 4 mi/kWh though.

I don't pay any attention to usage driving around town, where I use sport mode and accelerate more. It may be closer to 3.

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - Delivery next week?
1,349 Posts
I tend to gain back 40 miles of range going down under regen. The trips average a little less than 4 mi/kWh though.
Is that with active navigation ? with navigation enabled it should not do that, and have a correct range fort he whole trip.
Without active navigation, it could assume that you was going down forever.
The car probably is not so intelligent that it knows that you will not go under sea level ?

Or maybe it knows that you can :

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Is that with active navigation ? with navigation enabled it should not do that, and have a correct range fort he whole trip.
Without active navigation, it could assume that you was going down forever.
The car probably is not so intelligent that it knows that you will not go under sea level ?

Or maybe it knows that you can :
Actually, it is 40 miles gained back to level ground, counting the kWh added to the battery.

So if the car weighs 4500 lbs and goes down a 6% grade at 60 mph that is

4500x6%x60x1.47= 24000 ft-lb per second

At 738 ftlb/sec per kW gives 32 kW charging rate.

So in 20 minutes I can gain 10 kWh, or 40 miles of range.

When you calibrate range it is best to do a round trip or end at the same elevation.

So going into that Norwegian tunnel you gain range going down but give it back as you climb out of it.

Note also that I lose 40 miles going into the mountains to begin with.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Much of my driving has been in the mountains, where the mileage is rather good, because I must drive slower than on the highway. There the range drops drastically going up and increases going down.

I don't pay any attention to usage driving around town, where I use sport mode and accelerate more. It may be closer to 3.
what I noticed in my limited travels this weekend is that the range goes up with the regen I assume, but the battery percentage didn't go up. I wonder if I just didn't reach a high enough percentage of regen? or does only the range go up from regen?

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - Delivery next week?
1,349 Posts
what I noticed in my limited travels this weekend is that the range goes up with the regen I assume, but the battery percentage didn't go up. I wonder if I just didn't reach a high enough percentage of regen? or does only the range go up from regen?
Range typically goes up when you drive slowly :
1. After highway/long distance travel - range is usually quite low.
2. After that driving a little bit around town, consumption/mile goes down, and the (stupid) car tell you that range has gone up - based on how you drove for the last few miles.

To get a realistic range estimate from your car, you have to enter a target in the Navigator - so the car knows expected speed and altitude difference - and then it give a more realistic range estimat.

Range estimate will also depend on temperature. Depending on climate, I usually gets higher range estimates during day (20 deg. celsius) compared to nights (12 deg. celsius), and lower in Winter.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
Range typically goes up when you drive slowly :
1. After highway/long distance travel - range is usually quite low.
2. After that driving a little bit around town, consumption/mile goes down, and the (stupid) car tell you that range has gone up - based on how you drove for the last few miles.

To get a realistic range estimate from your car, you have to enter a target in the Navigator - so the car knows expected speed and altitude difference - and then it give a more realistic range estimat.

Range estimate will also depend on temperature. Depending on climate, I usually gets higher range estimates during day (20 deg. celsius) compared to nights (12 deg. celsius), and lower in Winter.
I’m glad that the vast majority of my driving will mean I don’t need to charge anywhere but home. Even the 100 miles and 4000’ elevation change to Copper is easily in range and the return home is all downhill (I may get home with more range than I had when I leave Copper!).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I’m glad that the vast majority of my driving will mean I don’t need to charge anywhere but home. Even the 100 miles and 4000’ elevation change to Copper is easily in range and the return home is all downhill (I may get home with more range than I had when I leave Copper!).
If you enter the route in the Navigator, and the software is clever, you should not see this increase, but get an accurate estimate before departure, and consistent updates during the travel, so that your margin is constant. The i3 is quite good at this but it looks like it does not trust itself completely. I have a quite steep 300 meters accent going home, and I see that I loose 5 kilometers of range margin driving up there. Based on what I am reading on this forum, it actually looks like the i4 range estimate is not as sophisticated as the i3, but it will probably improve with sw updates.

·
Super Moderator
5,722 Posts
If you enter the route in the Navigator, and the software is clever, you should not see this increase, but get an accurate estimate before departure, and consistent updates during the travel, so that your margin is constant. The i3 is quite good at this but it looks like it does not trust itself completely. I have a quite steep 300 meters accent going home, and I see that I loose 5 kilometers of range margin driving up there. Based on what I am reading on this forum, it actually looks like the i4 range estimate is not as sophisticated as the i3, but it will probably improve with sw updates.
I’m more likely to use Apple Maps for traffic, but it’ll be interesting to see… provided my i4 arrives before the ski season is over!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts