BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 124 Posts

· Registered
22 i4 eDrive40
122 Posts
FWIW, Only 400 miles in, mix of city and highway. 18” wheels.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

This is after ~15 miles of eco pro before parking for the night.

Also an ex-M340i owner. I too will miss the gloriously childish exhaust snaps and crackles of my ‘20 in Sport Plus. But that’s about it. However, I reserve the right to change my mind after the first EA charging snafu in the middle of nowhere. ;)

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
Also an ex-M340i owner. I too will miss the gloriously childish exhaust snaps and crackles of my ‘20 in Sport Plus.
How much of that was from the car speakers?! It’s hilarious that in my 330 in sport mode, most of the sound comes from the sound system!

· Registered
22 i4 eDrive40
122 Posts
How much of that was from the car speakers?! It’s hilarious that in my 330 in sport mode, most of the sound comes from the sound system!
Heh. True! The engine sounds are enhanced, but the exhaust snaps and burbles were very real on the M340i, especially on the '20-21 (I hear BMW radically reduced them on MY2022+ M340's). That, or BMW had installed speakers loud enough to echo in tunnels and occasionally annoy pedestrians & neighbors. ;)

· Registered
2022 BMW i4 edrive40 Skyscraper Grey Metallic, 19” Aero Wheels style 855
34 Posts
Right now it shows this: So that would mean a range of 268. It is the highest it’s been since I got the car but tha number is all over the place, it changes every time you look at it
I’m averaging 3.5 miles/kwh, which theoretically gets me ~280 miles on a full charge (almost the same as what the 18” wheels do at 80%:cry:). Now it’s 145 miles @ 53%, not far from the theoretical numbers.. but I’m starting to feel the 18” wheels is the way to go with the edrive40. Hard to imagine the range decreases that much just by changing the wheels…
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,587 Posts
I’m averaging 3.5 miles/kwh, which theoretically gets me ~280 miles on a full charge (almost the same as what the 18” wheels do at 80%:cry:). Now it’s 145 miles @ 53%, not far from the theoretical numbers.. but I’m starting to feel the 18” wheels is the way to go with the edrive40. Hard to imagine the range decreases that much just by changing the wheels…
View attachment 13830
There was a reason that the EPA numbers were 301 miles with 18" wheels.

· Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - Delivery next week?
1,356 Posts
but I’m starting to feel the 18” wheels is the way to go with the edrive40. Hard to imagine the range decreases that much just by changing the wheels…
18 inch also on the i4M50 ? Default in Europe, and should be possible on winter tires also in North America ?
17 inch on i4 40, without M-package is the one that gives you 590 km in WLTP.

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,987 Posts
View attachment 13830
Sure not my experience with the GOM. On 19” wheels I’m averaging, since I got the car, 4.0 mi/kWh yet at 80% charge I’m routinely showing no more than 230-235 miles. Even that drops when I turn on the car because the AC then turns on.

· Registered
649 Posts
In Southern California (very mix driving, very good driving weather conditions), 80% SoC is about 240 miles on M50 19".
How much is heat going to affect range? I know cold can really drop your range, but it’s going to be over 100 degrees in LA for numerous days this weekend. Is there an expectation range will decrease?

· Premium Member
573 Posts
Heat does affect range but not as drastic as cold. Someone in LA noticed a small range drop on 100 degree weather. It depends on how short the trips are and how many cabin cooling cycles the car has to go through.
From what I’ve seen so far, heat affects charging rate more than it affects range.

· Registered
73 Posts
I did notice a big change in range at either 80% or 100% after i had the programming units recall and the dealer installed the latest software 07/22.40. Range at 80% dropped from 260 ish to 180ish. The other odd thing after the update was that the range shown on the MyBMW app screen at 80% say showing 186 when you get into the car it shows a different figure. In this example it was showing 222 at 80%. This difference between what i saw on the MyBMW app and what was displayed in the car dashboard display did not happen before the 07/22.40 update.

· Registered
129 Posts
I did notice a big change in range at either 80% or 100% after i had the programming units recall and the dealer installed the latest software 07.
I noticed the same thing. Range has dropped after installing the July software update.

I wonder why this is the case? Is the car using more of its battery on less efficient software?

· Registered
'22 - i4 M50
575 Posts
I noticed the same thing. Range has dropped after installing the July software update.

I wonder why this is the case? Is the car using more of its battery on less efficient software?
Same here, was wondering if I was just over throttling but judging by the responses it seems like a bug in MyBMW. My 80% is showing up at 168 miles compared to about 203 prior to the update, so that's a huge difference.

Maybe I should reset "since" values in the car or reset to factory, as another test.

Will continue to monitor and share out.

I am on 07/2022.40 - M50 w/ 20's.

· Registered
2015 i3 Rex, i4 M50 Spartanburg PC delivery 8/4/22 traded in Volvo XC40 EV
514 Posts
I’m glad that the vast majority of my driving will mean I don’t need to charge anywhere but home. Even the 100 miles and 4000’ elevation change to Copper is easily in range and the return home is all downhill (I may get home with more range than I had when I leave Copper!).
I bet you have a much more scenic commute. For me it is 50miles East on the PA turnpike with 1,500‘ elevation change. Hence I will be fine with my all season tires.

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
I bet you have a much more scenic commute. For me it is 50miles East on the PA turnpike with 1,500‘ elevation change. Hence I will be fine with my all season tires.
Unless you get one of those famous ice storms! Out here, the crazy part is that the weather can be completely different on the two sides of the Divide. It can be pounding snow on the east side of the Divide during an upslope and we're skiing in the sun at Copper on the west side. Or vice-versa. Can make the drive home full of surprises!

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,587 Posts
I need to slow down. My since factory value is 2.9mi/kWh. Have so far 1,800 miles mostly highway.
That's close to what you got with your XC40 Recharge, LOL. But with 20" wheels and over 500 hp, just a little lead foot will get you 2.9 kW/mile........slow down my friend, LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

· Registered
514 Posts
That's close to what you got with your XC40 Recharge, LOL. But with 20" wheels and over 500 hp, just a little lead foot will get you 2.9 kW/mile........slow down my friend, LOL.
I have 19“ wheels on the M50 so I should get 3.3 miles per kWh according to EPA. Unfortunately with the Volvo on 20“ wheels I got 2.5miles per kWh or even less. At least I am consistent and the i4 makes a big difference in range for me.

· Registered
1,587 Posts
I have 19“ wheels on the M50 so I should get 3.3 miles per kWh according to EPA. Unfortunately with the Volvo on 20“ wheels I got 2.5miles per kWh or even less. At least I am consistent and the i4 makes a big difference in range for me.
I'm getting between 3.9 and 4.1 kWh per mile, but I have the eDrive40 and 18 inch wheels. The i4 is tremendously meeting my range expectations, but it is summer so it will be interesting to see how much the kWh per miles drops when the weather gets colder.

Reactions: MRyder and ssh

· Registered
514 Posts
I'm getting between 3.9 and 4.1 kWh per mile, but I have the eDrive40 and 18 inch wheels. The i4 is tremendously meeting my range expectations, but it is summer so it will be interesting to see how much the kWh per miles drops when the weather gets colder.
You are doing better than EPA. With 18“ wheels you are supposed to get 3.7 miles per kWh. This seems to be consistent for all versions of the i4. They are close to EPA or even better.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts