BMW i4 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 124 Posts

· Registered
2022 i4 M50
177 Posts
I need to slow down. My since factory value is 2.9mi/kWh. Have so far 1,800 miles mostly highway.
I'm averaging about 2.8 if it helps. I'm at 1 month today and hit 2,200 miles at about 65% highway. Charging is still free for 2 years last time I checked... so maybe I'll change my driving behaviors then (but more likely trade it in) 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: ssh

· Registered
2015 i3 Rex, i4 M50 Spartanburg PC delivery 8/4/22 traded in Volvo XC40 EV
514 Posts
I'm averaging about 2.8 if it helps. I'm at 1 month today and hit 2,200 miles at about 65% highway. Charging is still free for 2 years last time I checked... so maybe I'll change my driving behaviors then (but more likely trade it in) 🤷‍♂️
I totally agree with you. This car is too much fun to drive and we should enjoy it. I even have free Electrify at Home due to solar panels. This morning I had a decent consumption on a drive with 3.5miles per kWh but once I had some open road on my drive back I messed it up and my average dropped down to my usual 2.9miles per kWh.

· Registered
'22 - i4 M50
576 Posts
I totally agree with you. This car is too much fun to drive and we should enjoy it. I even have free Electrify at Home due to solar panels. This morning I had a decent consumption on a drive with 3.5miles per kWh but once I had some open road on my drive back I messed it up and my average dropped down to my usual 2.9miles per kWh.
I've been around 2.0 to 2.4, I must be pushing those electrons like a mad person. My 100% rating was at 199 miles on the last two charges, post 07/2022.40. BMW may have tweaked the consumption calculator, me thinks.

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
I'm 4 weeks and 500 miles in at the moment. Average 3.5 to 3.9 miles per kWh driving very conservatively. Calculated total range of 280-330 miles. I couldn't be happier. I think I need to push the go pedal a bit more!
M50? Dude! C’mon! Push it!

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,587 Posts
You are doing better than EPA. With 18“ wheels you are supposed to get 3.7 miles per kWh. This seems to be consistent for all versions of the i4. They are close to EPA or even better.
BMW is VERY conservative with their EPA range estimates. Several reviewers have gotten over the EPA estimate. I only punch it to get around a slower car, or when I'm merging on to a freeway.

· Registered
'22 - i4 M50
576 Posts
I'm 4 weeks and 500 miles in at the moment. Average 3.5 to 3.9 miles per kWh driving very conservatively. Calculated total range of 280-330 miles. I couldn't be happier. I think I need to push the go pedal a bit more!
What system software version are you on, by chance? Are you on the 20"s?

I saw a dramatic decline in range once I had 07/2022.40 applied. I am still tracking this theory, though.

· Premium Member
873 Posts
Picked up the car 3 weeks ago. Mostly comfort driving. It is showing 190 mile at 80%. Seriously?
that will change as you drive, it's not really an accurate range that you will get once you start driving the car. I've started with a range like that and ended with 75% and 230 after driving a bit.

· Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had my i4 eDrive 40, 19” since July. 3600 miles on it and I can unequivocally that range is totally unreliable on this car. I’m am VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE RANGE. It was advertised as around 300 miles. I haven’t reached 300 since it left the dealership. 80% charge gets me 191miles but it fluctuates wildly. Today for instance I babied it for 20 miles and it actually went from 194 to 218 over the course. I was the “problem driver” in the slow lane with my BMW just trying to get some miles out of a charge. I parked the car, came back to it and without driving it or anything at all it went from 212 when I parked it to 188 on startup. WTH? There is definitely something wrong here. And my 20 mile return trip ended with 145 miles and 67%. This car hates stop and go traffic- just what every other EV does fine in for regenerative braking. This car however prefers to be cruising on open road with no hills or traffic. Please someone tell me what is going on here. Im at the point of not trusting this car for any sort of travel. Im about ready to trade it in on a dang Hyundai or something that doesn’t have to be constantly connected to a charger. And no this is not my first EV. I’ve owned EVs and hybrids since 2013 so Im familiar with how they should be operating, winter issues, etc.

· Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
274 Posts
I’ve had my i4 eDrive 40, 19” since July. 3600 miles on it and I can unequivocally that range is totally unreliable on this car. I’m am VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE RANGE. It was advertised as around 300 miles. I haven’t reached 300 since it left the dealership. 80% charge gets me 191miles but it fluctuates wildly. Today for instance I babied it for 20 miles and it actually went from 194 to 218 over the course. I was the “problem driver” in the slow lane with my BMW just trying to get some miles out of a charge. I parked the car, came back to it and without driving it or anything at all it went from 212 when I parked it to 188 on startup. WTH? There is definitely something wrong here. And my 20 mile return trip ended with 145 miles and 67%. This car hates stop and go traffic- just what every other EV does fine in for regenerative braking. This car however prefers to be cruising on open road with no hills or traffic. Please someone tell me what is going on here. Im at the point of not trusting this car for any sort of travel. Im about ready to trade it in on a dang Hyundai or something that doesn’t have to be constantly connected to a charger. And no this is not my first EV. I’ve owned EVs and hybrids since 2013 so Im familiar with how they should be operating, winter issues, etc.
The milage display doesn't mean ANYTHING. Only the charge percentage has any relevance. So if you come back after a while and the charge percentage is the same as when you left, you're fine.

That the calculated range is changing does make sense: The system is using the current way of driving as the basis for the calculation. So if you drive carefully and economically, the range will go up. If you stop the car and start a new trip later, the calculation resets to your usual way of driving (which is determined over a course of MANY trips), so the range WILL decrease in the display.

The ACTUAL range won't change. And it's ONLY dependent on how you drive. Use the BC button to see how much energy you're using with your current style of driving.

And don't forget: ICE don't work any different in that regard.

· Registered
22 i4 eDrive40
122 Posts
FWIW, I have 4,100 miles on my eDrive40 since delivery in August. 18" tires. 50%; 75mph interstate, 25%; mixed 45-65 back-roads, 25%;urban. Car sits in my attached garage at night.

I'm still consistently seeing 3.8-4.1 miles/kWh, as I have since day 1. Lifetime average is 4.0. I can tell this number is dropping as temps fall here in Wisconsin, as expected.

The GOM varies depending on the previous couple-dozen miles of travel. Heating a cold or cooling a hot interior on a short trip takes the biggest toll on the GOM. i.e., an afternoon of multiple errands on a 95F+ day where the car bakes in the sun for a half-hour, then preconditioning + A/C for 10 minutes until the next stop where it bakes again for another 20-30 minutes, repeat a couple times = really poor GOM the next day.

But right now it's sitting at 59% charge and reports 174 miles of range. By my math that's about 295 miles on a full charge.

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40, Skyscraper Gray, DAPP, PAP, Laserlight, Drive Recorder, eSIM Harmon Kardon
1,587 Posts
Curious...............what is your miles/kWh lifetime of the car. BTW, with 19" wheels you won't get 300 miles per full charge, more like 282 if you are careful..............really careful.

Reactions: Filiiony

· Premium Member
873 Posts
what are you miles per Kwh?

Reactions: Magicrat

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
36 Posts
So yesterday was my first real trip with my i4 M50 which now has 435 miles on it. I live in the high country of Arizona, at about a 5500 ft elevation. Went on a 86 mile each way trip down to Phoenix. Weather in Prescott was about 40 deg F when we left and 70 when we arrived in Phoenix. My charge was 85% and 162 mile range on the GOM. When we got to our destination the charge was 70% and 242 miles on the GOM? It was about a 4500 ft drop in elevation. The miles per kWhr was 6.1. On the return trip it was much different. I went from 85% and 223 miles on the GOM with 70 degree weather to 43% and 82 miles on the GOM and the temperature arriving was 45 degrees. The miles per kWhr was 2.6. It was all pretty much interstate driving. The average speed going down to Phoenix was 61 mph and the return was 57.5 mph due to much more traffic. I agree the GOM update has shown it to be unreliable.

i4 M50 Portimso Blue received on October 14 th. After an almost 1 year wait.

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
So yesterday was my first real trip with my i4 M50 which now has 435 miles on it. I live in the high country of Arizona, at about a 5500 ft elevation. Went on a 86 mile each way trip down to Phoenix. Weather in Prescott was about 40 deg F when we left and 70 when we arrived in Phoenix. My charge was 85% and 162 mile range on the GOM. When we got to our destination the charge was 70% and 242 miles on the GOM? It was about a 4500 ft drop in elevation. The miles per kWhr was 6.1. On the return trip it was much different. I went from 85% and 223 miles on the GOM with 70 degree weather to 43% and 82 miles on the GOM and the temperature arriving was 45 degrees. The miles per kWhr was 2.6. It was all pretty much interstate driving. The average speed going down to Phoenix was 61 mph and the return was 57.5 mph due to much more traffic. I agree the GOM update has shown it to be unreliable.

i4 M50 Portimso Blue received on October 14 th. After an almost 1 year wait.
What was the mi/kWh for the complete trip? With the elevation change, you're likely to see what you did, but the overall will give you a better picture of range, I think... Looks like you took 42% of the battery for 140 miles?

· Registered
2023 BMW i4 M50
36 Posts
What was the mi/kWh for the complete trip? With the elevation change, you're likely to see what you did, but the overall will give you a better picture of range, I think... Looks like you took 42% of the battery for 140 miles?
For the 172 mile round trip I averaged 4 miles per kWhr. I did charge with Electrify America prior to returning to Prescott. Did you take delivery of your i4 M50 yet?

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
For the 172 mile round trip I averaged 4 miles per kWhr. I did charge with Electrify America prior to returning to Prescott. Did you take delivery of your i4 M50 yet?
4 seems pretty great!

Thanks for asking... countdown is reaching a crescendo... We will be at the Performance Center on Monday! After pickup, I'll drive it all of 12 miles to the PPF place and leave it until Friday (I expect to shed a tear or two during drop-off!). Friday we start our 1,500 mile journey home after stopping at Discount Tire for certificates.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts