BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New member here. I ordered a BMW i4 M50 back in mid-April 2022 from a pretty high volume dealer in the NY Metro area. At the time, they told me to expect the car to be ready for pick up around Thanksgiving 2022. Now, they tell me I am number 6 in the order bank without even a production number, but that I should expect delivery around October 2022. Does that seem possible? How long should it be until I get a production number, and how long from that point to delivery? My dealer is not giving me much information and I have never ordered a car before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hi all,

New member here. I ordered a BMW i4 M50 back in mid-April 2022 from a pretty high volume dealer in the NY Metro area. At the time, they told me to expect the car to be ready for pick up around Thanksgiving 2022. Now, they tell me I am number 6 in the order bank without even a production number, but that I should expect delivery around October 2022. Does that seem possible? How long should it be until I get a production number, and how long from that point to delivery? My dealer is not giving me much information and I have never ordered a car before.

Thanks!
Anything they are saying about delivery and production dates are speculation and lies.

I don't know where you are but BMW is still struggling to build day one (June 1, 2021) pre-orders.

I have been pushed to week 32; the second week of August and if that date holds I might get a car delivered in Oct.

I live on the west coast in California.

Waiting for my M50......

• Sad
Reactions: dudenjen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anything they are saying about delivery and production dates are speculation and lies.

I don't know where you are but BMW is still struggling to build day one (June 1, 2021) pre-orders.

I have been pushed to week 32; the second week of August and if that date holds I might get a car delivered in Oct.

Waiting for my M50......
Thanks for the info. I am in the NY Metro Area. Another dealership by me has one in production that was recently cancelled, so I was considering just taking it even though it doesn't have all the options I wanted. I am afraid that waiting for the one I ordered could be another year or more

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
980 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am in the NY Metro Area. Another dealership by me has one in production that was recently cancelled, so I was considering just taking it even though it doesn't have all the options I wanted. I am afraid that waiting for the one I ordered could be another year or more
Only guessing production between October 2022, and Mar 2023 - if nothing unexpected happens in Europe.
The big question is how will the Winter in Europe/Germany be with too little Electricity, gas and Oil ?

If you have a car available - I would strongly consider that, and maybe keep my original order for a swap later ?

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Now, they tell me I am number 6 in the order bank without even a production number, but that I should expect delivery around October 2022. Does that seem possible?
Thanks!
Very unlikely. If everything stays the same, you’ll get it somewhere around March 2023 (+/- a month or two). Your dealer is speaking out of term.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya I’d say October is extremely unlikely if you dont even have a production number yet. As Techwiz1 said they still aren’t even close to fulfilling all the phase 1 preorders yet (let alone phase 2). I also am scheduled for sometime in August and if that holds which I kinda doubt given the endless delays then MAYBE I’d have my car in Oct. On average cars are sitting at port for 1 month before even getting on a ship, the. Another month for shipment to the dealer (boat + Vpc + truck). So unless the car somehow is built in Aug, Oct is very very unlikely unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Only guessing production between October 2022, and Mar 2023 - if nothing unexpected happens in Europe.
The big question is how will the Winter in Europe/Germany be with too little Electricity, gas and Oil ?

If you have a car available - I would strongly consider that, and maybe keep my original order for a swap later ?
If you can and it works for you, I'd go for delivery of the less than optimal car while I wait.

You either trade or sell the other later. If I was further out from delivery, I'd consider this option.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: i4m50Norway

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you can and it works for you, I'd go for delivery of the less than optimal car while I wait.

You either trade or sell the other later. If I was further out from delivery, I'd consider this option.

Waiting for my M50......
Hahaha based on our track record I don’t think it is so far fetched we could be an early 2023 delivery too 😜

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hahaha based on our track record I don’t think it is so far fetched we could be an early 2023 delivery too
I can't take that chance.
I'm also going to take delivery of a Fisker Ocean One at some point. I have both an M50 and Fisker on order. Before you ask... Yes, I was convinced and committed enough to place a $5k non-refundable deposit. That being said, Iwould have no problem with a non refundable deposit on my M50.

There isn't even a remote chance of me backing out of either vehicle.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
564 Posts
I can't take that chance.
I'm also going to take delivery of a Fisker Ocean One at some point. I have both an M50 and Fisker on order. Before you ask... Yes, I was convinced and committed enough to place a $5k non-refundable deposit. That being said, Iwould have no problem with a non refundable deposit on my M50.

There isn't even a remote chance of me backing out of either vehicle.

Waiting for my M50......
Nice, I have a deposit in the Fisker too (not the 5k non refundable for the One) but still. As for the i4, if it would have meant they would have delivered it on time I would have gladly given them a 5k or 10k non refundable deposit.

Regarding the likelihood of a 2023 delivery, it wouldn’t surprise me that much at this point. I’ve already been delayed 20 weeks off my original date and another 20 would put us at the last week of the year which would mean delivery Feb/Mar 23. Given BMWs piss poor track record with you, me, Don S and many others I would not actually be that surprised. I would be livid, but not surprised.

·
Premium Member
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,968 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
No one knows. No one. I don’t even think the production planning team knows. Until you have a VIN, it could be any time at all from next week to next year or beyond. Your dealer may have allocations they know about which has them believing you will be Scheduled in a few weeks. BMW AG may be ramping production so the allocations will go faster. Or not. No one knows.

·
Registered
Dravit Grey i4 M50
97 Posts
For context, I pre-ordered in Aug 2021 and still don't have a production number. I am being told to expect it to push out to Nov/Dec 2022 at earliest

·
Registered
2023 M sport, Black Sapphire Metallic and most of the bells and whitsles.
140 Posts

Waiting for my M50......
I was this close to just buying a Lexus when my SA called and said that I had a 32 week build and if things went right I would get the car in October. So happy that I did not cancel the order.

·
Registered
2015 i3 Rex, i4 M50 Spartanburg PC delivery 8/4/22 traded in Volvo XC40 EV
309 Posts
I heard BMW is doubling i4 production from 60,000 per year to 120,000 per year, hopefully this will help. Anyone have an idea how many i4‘s are already ordered? Also think that I did well with my configuration that my June 1st 2021 order was built in May 2022. Wondering if items such as laser light which I regret not having ordered or Harmon Kardon which I didn’t order due to the extra space in the cubby below the trunk would had changed my production date.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
No one knows. No one. I don’t even think the production planning team knows. Until you have a VIN, it could be any time at all from next week to next year or beyond. Your dealer may have allocations they know about which has them believing you will be Scheduled in a few weeks. BMW AG may be ramping production so the allocations will go faster. Or not. No one knows.
I agree that no one knows. Once you have a production number, allocations have been given. A production number means BMW AG has accepted the build. At that point it's up to AG to schedule and build no more dealer dependencies.

Now until you have a VIN you are subject to be rescheduled.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all. I have a perfectly fine 3 series that I lease. The lease is up in November and can obviously be extended if this October estimate ends up being wrong. I am thinking as hard as it is I should just be patient and keep driving my 3 series until my i4 shows up. I’ve never had a car as expensive as the i4, so I may as well get the one I want

·
Premium Member
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,968 Posts
Thanks all. I have a perfectly fine 3 series that I lease. The lease is up in November and can obviously be extended if this October estimate ends up being wrong. I am thinking as hard as it is I should just be patient and keep driving my 3 series until my i4 shows up. I’ve never had a car as expensive as the i4, so I may as well get the one I want
Precisely my thoughts. I just extended my Sept lease-end by 6 months for this reason. Easy. Did it with messages on the BMW FS web site!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Always get what you want, it is a lot of $$$ to compromise on features/preferences and you will always regret compromising. This is a very optional, luxury car, no sense in treating it as an A-to-B type utility.

Reactions: ssh

·
Registered
2023(order), i4Edrive40, SanRemoGreen, CognacSensatec, 18"GunmetalGrey, Premium, HUD, LaserLight, HK
37 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
I ordered mine in April 2022 from BMW Manhattan, and I got a production number on July 1st and I found out on July 18th that I'm scheduled in Week 31. I would suggest a little more patience and you may find out fairly soon. I have heard however that a lot depends on which variant you ordered. In my case I ordered an eDrive 40. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts