BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I ordered mine in April 2022 from BMW Manhattan, and I got a production number on July 1st and I found out on July 18th that I'm scheduled in Week 31. I would suggest a little more patience and you may find out fairly soon. I have heard however that a lot depends on which variant you ordered. In my case I ordered an eDrive 40. Good luck!
You took over someone’s slot, it wasn’t a net new reservation. This is how people are getting in sooner. Dealers don’t just cancel reservations, they just swap a buyer for another.

Reactions: dudenjen

·
Registered
53 Posts
My concern is that I'm likely to receive mine (M50) next spring at the earliest, and BMW is scheduled to start producing the i5 in July. I may very well be tempted to cancel the i4 and get the i5 instead if it means waiting just a few extra months.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Thanks all. I have a perfectly fine 3 series that I lease. The lease is up in November and can obviously be extended if this October estimate ends up being wrong. I am thinking as hard as it is I should just be patient and keep driving my 3 series until my i4 shows up. I’ve never had a car as expensive as the i4, so I may as well get the one I want
My i4 M50 is $80k before tax and license.
This is the most expensive car I've purchased.
I want what I want. The only compromise I've made is that when moved to MY2023; cognac was removed from availability and now I have mocha. I was tempted to push for full merino tartufo, but didn't want to create the possiblity for another delay. If they don't build it in week 32, then I want the full leather. If I have to wait.....

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
2023 M sport, Black Sapphire Metallic and most of the bells and whitsles.
107 Posts
My concern is that I'm likely to receive mine (M50) next spring at the earliest, and BMW is scheduled to start producing the i5 in July. I may very well be tempted to cancel the i4 and get the i5 instead if it means waiting just a few extra months.
You will probably wait another 6 to 9 months after they start producing the i5. Don't know if I can wait that long. When did you order your M50 and do you have a production number yet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
You will probably wait another 6 to 9 months after they start producing the i5. Don't know if I can wait that long. When did you order your M50 and do you have a production number yet?
I ordered my M50 when it became possible to order the 2023. I think it was late May or early June - don't remember exactly. It's in the order bank - I don't have a production number yet. My dealer thought initially that it would take a year to get it, but more recently he said it could happen by the end of the year. I'm thinking next spring at the earliest. At that point, with the i5 revealed and production about to start, I expect to be tempted to get an i5 instead if it's a matter of waiting additional months, not years.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M Sport, Tanzanite Blue, Mocha ventilated seats
879 Posts
I ordered my M50 when it became possible to order the 2023. I think it was late May or early June - don't remember exactly. It's in the order bank - I don't have a production number yet. My dealer thought initially that it would take a year to get it, but more recently he said it could happen by the end of the year. I'm thinking next spring at the earliest. At that point, with the i5 revealed and production about to start, I expect to be tempted to get an i5 instead if it's a matter of waiting additional months, not years.
I haven't seen any preorder info on the five yet. I'm thinking the same as you except I will drive my i4, when I finally get it, until the i5 is delivered. So if anyone hears of preorders opening up, please post or PM me, so I can get my order in. I'm hoping the i5 won't be as painful since I will have the i4 until my i5 is delivered. I'm also optimistic that the building issues experienced on this forum will have been fixed and make the i5 production smoother. 😆😆😆

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven't seen any preorder info on the five yet. I'm thinking the same as you except I will drive my i4, when I finally get it, until the i5 is delivered. So if anyone hears of preorders opening up, please post or PM me, so I can get my order in. I'm hoping the i5 won't be as painful since I will have the i4 until my i5 is delivered. I'm also optimistic that the building issues experienced on this forum will have been fixed and make the i5 production smoother. 😆😆😆
I wouldn't buy the i4 and then upgrade to the i5 within a year. I would find that way too wasteful. There may not be preorders other than dealership waiting lists - who knows.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,541 Posts
I wouldn't buy the i4 and then upgrade to the i5 within a year. I would find that way too wasteful. There may not be preorders other than dealership waiting lists - who knows.
Seriously. After the cluster the US i4 pre-order campaign turned out to be, they may not want to duplicate that experience for anyone, any time soon.

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
Seriously. After the cluster the US i4 pre-order campaign turned out to be, they may not want to duplicate that experience for anyone, any time soon.
Or it may be an opportunity to cash in on poor organization!

• Haha
Reactions: gsbaker

·
Registered
2022 i4 M Sport, Tanzanite Blue, Mocha ventilated seats
879 Posts
agreed but I didn't get the i4 within a year and I have no faith that the i5 would be received within a year. I'm thinking more like a year to year and half. That would be close to my plan. I usually switch out, depending on how much I love a particular car, at about 2-3 years of use. "subject to change " 😅

·
Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
1,828 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am in the NY Metro Area. Another dealership by me has one in production that was recently cancelled, so I was considering just taking it even though it doesn't have all the options I wanted. I am afraid that waiting for the one I ordered could be another year or more
Good thought. If you figure what will really use and need vs waiting a year, you will decide well.

The car is a blast as is, so options may not be important.

The more options people ordered, the more supply issues cropped up.

Basic models of the e40 have gone out pretty fast, while loaded M50s are held up.

·
Registered
i4M50
309 Posts
So each dealer is going to be different timing based on their allocations each month and their current wait list. My dealer got 6 allocations for M50s this month, I'm still 15 on the list...so he expects me to get a production # early October BUT with the way M50 production has been (pushing off)...I don't expect to be build until early 2023

·
Registered
53 Posts
agreed but I didn't get the i4 within a year and I have no faith that the i5 would be received within a year. I'm thinking more like a year to year and half. That would be close to my plan. I usually switch out, depending on how much I love a particular car, at about 2-3 years of use. "subject to change " 😅
2-3 years is more reasonable, but still gets very expensive over time.

By the time I get the M50, I think it will be possible to get the i5 within a year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For context, I pre-ordered in Aug 2021 and still don't have a production number. I am being told to expect it to push out to Nov/Dec 2022 at earliest
No production #?? I placed my order Mar/2022 and I just received my # this past weekend. My dealership, which I think they have their info incorrect, but stated a delivery for September. Yeah, I doubt that buddy.. I have my hopes for Feb 2023.
This is for the M50? Sorry, I order the edrive40.

·
Registered
Dravit Grey i4 M50
88 Posts
No production #?? I placed my order Mar/2022 and I just received my # this past weekend. My dealership, which I think they have their info incorrect, but stated a delivery for September. Yeah, I doubt that buddy.. I have my hopes for Feb 2023.
Yeah, I ordered a loaded M50 in Dravit Grey. The dealership has been dragging their feet a bit in providing updates. I finally got confirmation that I'm slated for 8/31/22 production date, I'm assuming that's when the production number is issued, but don't really know.

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
Yeah, I ordered a loaded M50 in Dravit Grey. The dealership has been dragging their feet a bit in providing updates. I finally got confirmation that I'm slated for 8/31/22 production date, I'm assuming that's when the production number is issued, but don't really know.
I would be willing to wager you’re actually in the wk 31 bundle. They read the 2022/08/31 and think it’s Aug 31 when it’s actually wk 31 (the first week of Aug).

Reactions: No Nrg

·
Registered
Dravit Grey i4 M50
88 Posts
I would be willing to wager you’re actually in the wk 31 bundle. They read the 2022/08/31 and think it’s Aug 31 when it’s actually wk 31 (the first week of Aug).
I think you're right. Looking at the screenshot he sent, the Prod. Date format is Yr/Mo/Wk, so week 31 like you said. That shaves four weeks off my wait if they make the date, haha.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also if they have a date, then they have a production number. You should ask your dealer for your VIR

Reactions: dudenjen and ssh

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I can't imagine how you placed an order in March and they think Sept delivery on an M50.

Plenty of us M50 pre-orders from the first wave are still waiting. I don't know how many second wave.

Waiting for my M50......

21 - 40 of 66 Posts