BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
935 Posts
You will probably wait another 6 to 9 months after they start producing the i5. Don't know if I can wait that long. When did you order your M50 and do you have a production number yet?
In Norway you can get every EV from BMW in Q1 2023 if order today. except the i4 that will be Q2 2023.
In my opinion the reason for this is that orders for i4 far exceeded what BMW expected - and the Munich factory is what limits production. All other EV's is and will be built in other factories.
If the i5 Launch is mid 2023 - delivery end of 2023 ?

The plan that BMW had about EV increased sales , same as decline in ICE is the big issue here. This wil of course also be resolved in a year or two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all,

New member here. I ordered a BMW i4 M50 back in mid-April 2022 from a pretty high volume dealer in the NY Metro area. At the time, they told me to expect the car to be ready for pick up around Thanksgiving 2022. Now, they tell me I am number 6 in the order bank without even a production number, but that I should expect delivery around October 2022. Does that seem possible? How long should it be until I get a production number, and how long from that point to delivery? My dealer is not giving me much information and I have never ordered a car before.

Thanks!
I, too, pre-ordered on June 1, 2021, and am still waiting for my i4 M50. I am still in “order received” status, but the model year changed from 2022 to 2023. My car status has flipped back and forth from “order received” to “scheduled for production” back to “order received.” I have begun checking status just once a week. At this point, I have no idea when I can expect my car. I am hoping to get it before December 2022.

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
maybe I just got lucky. I went to the dealer on April 24th to check out a demo and they said they had one build allocation available. I placed a deposit and order that day, and the car was at my dealer ready for delivery 3 months to the day later. Just picked it up yesterday.
Holy crap! This is screwed up! I’m really happy for you, but WHAT?!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anything they are saying about delivery and production dates are speculation and lies.

I don't know where you are but BMW is still struggling to build day one (June 1, 2021) pre-orders.

I have been pushed to week 32; the second week of August and if that date holds I might get a car delivered in Oct.

I live on the west coast in California.

Waiting for my M50......
When did you order yours? I ordered in early March (in Encinitas, CA) and don't have a production number yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also ordered m50 mid April 2022 from a very high volume Chicago area dealer. They told me 9-13 months. Still no word on any dates or updates. I’m expecting May 2023.
I also noticed that cognac is absolutely still available for the 2023 model year on the build config so not sure why people think it’s gone.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I also ordered m50 mid April 2022 from a very high volume Chicago area dealer. They told me 9-13 months. Still no word on any dates or updates. I’m expecting May 2023.
I also noticed that cognac is absolutely still available for the 2023 model year on the build config so not sure why people think it’s gone.
Sensatec Cognac is available, Vernasca leather Cognac is not.

·
Registered
i4M50
303 Posts
When did you order yours? I ordered in early March (in Encinitas, CA) and don't have a production number yet
I also placed my order in March at a large dealer in Houston, TX and no production # yet for a M50, thats common on the M50s from what I've seen the past few weeks unless someone fills a cancelation that had a similar build.

Reactions: Ilektriksky

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3 - for now
1,541 Posts
TechWiz1 is a Day-One pre-order, so June 1, 2021

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
TechWiz1 is a Day-One pre-order, so June 1, 2021
Yes, I am a day 1 pre-order.
I was assigned to a dealer June 2.
I've had a confirmed order and production number since Dec 23.
I was told build week 21 on Jan 3.

Here we are at week 31 and no car and only "scheduled for production" with no start. I anticipate being pushed or dropped back to order received any day. Edit - Now back at order received with no build week.

I just don't think I'm getting my car anytime soon.
There have been others with fully loaded cars with individual paint and leather that have received cars.

Nobody can tell me why I keep getting pushed out. If I knew l, maybe I could remove the item from my build.

Anyway; a production number just means that BMW AG has your order but there is no indication, speculation, hope, estimate of when you will get it. Until they pull a VIN; it's all a lie.

Waiting for my M50......

·
Registered
2023 M sport, Black Sapphire Metallic and most of the bells and whitsles.
105 Posts
Yes, I am a day 1 pre-order.
I was assigned to a dealer June 2.
I've had a confirmed order and production number since Dec 23.
I was told build week 21 on Jan 3.

Here we are at week 31 and no car and only "scheduled for production" with no start. I anticipate being pushed or dropped back to order received any day. Edit - Now back at order received with no build week.

I just don't think I'm getting my car anytime soon.
There have been others with fully loaded cars with individual paint and leather that have received cars.

Nobody can tell me why I keep getting pushed out. If I knew l, maybe I could remove the item from my build.

Anyway; a production number just means that BMW AG has your order but there is no indication, speculation, hope, estimate of when you will get it. Until they pull a VIN; it's all a lie.

Waiting for my M50......
Have you received a Vin number yet? I have a friend who ordered in December as well and just received a Vin number on the 25th.

·
Registered
2022 i4 M Sport, Tanzanite Blue, Mocha ventilated seats
879 Posts
Techwhiz1.....

Unfortunately you're not alone and yes you are right, it would be nice if you could figure out what accy is the hold up. I too am a June pre-order. I ordered June 6th 2021. I was originally bld week 14, bumped up briefly to week 13, but not even considering that, I was pushed back many times and ultimately sent back to "order received " status without a bld week. My car finally went into production week 25. Completed on June 23rd to be exact. IMHO....we were all dupt into believing it really was a pre-order process. It really wasn't. The dealer decided when our order went into their system and to make matters worse, BMW set up an allocation system for the dealers, so if you selected a"smaller or lower performing" dealership, then you were bumped.

Now the funny part, I guess we could have researched all of the Dealerships and allocations etc, of course assuming we could avail ourselves to such information, then we could select a dealer anywhere in the country in order to get our car in a reasonable amount of time. How Crazy is that!!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Techwhiz1.....

Unfortunately you're not alone and yes you are right, it would be nice if you could figure out what accy is the hold up. I too am a June pre-order. I ordered June 6th 2021. I was originally bld week 14, bumped up briefly to week 13, but not even considering that, I was pushed back many times and ultimately sent back to "order received " status without a bld week. My car finally went into production week 25. Completed on June 23rd to be exact. IMHO....we were all dupt into believing it really was a pre-order process. It really wasn't. The dealer decided when our order went into their system and to make matters worse, BMW set up an allocation system for the dealers, so if you selected a"smaller or lower performing" dealership, then you were bumped.

Now the funny part, I guess we could have researched all of the Dealerships and allocations etc, of course assuming we could avail ourselves to such information, then we could select a dealer anywhere in the country in order to get our car in a reasonable amount of time. How Crazy is that!!!!
I do think you are mistaken since once BMW AG accepts the order it goes into their scheduling system and is no longer an allocation issue.

BMW AG accepted my build on Dec.
Initially scheduled on Jan 3 for a May 21 build.

Anyway, I've requested individual merino at this point. If I have to continue to wait, I want what I want.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: dudenjen

·
Registered
879 Posts
I do think you are mistaken since once BMW AG accepts the order it goes into their scheduling system and is no longer an allocation issue.

Anyway, I've requested individual merino at this point. If I have to continue to wait, I want what I want.

Waiting for my M50......
You may want to research some other threads. I may not have stated clearly, but others on this web have confirmed the overall concept. Yes BMW AG accepts the order but the car goes into production based on each dealer's allocation. That's why so many people with preorders from June, like myself, are still waiting for bld dates and vehicle delivery, while others who ordered vehicles several months after June already have their cars! Maybe I'm over simplifying this, but please research this forum. One order comes to mind, can't remember who it was, but he is waiting for a week 32 bld, and that may not happen, for his 6/1/2021 preordered M50. If someone from the week 32 grp, could paste in the thread, if the M50 person doesn't reply first, which I imagine he will. He like many of us are angered by this preorder process.
Not discounting your opinion, bit respectfully, I think I am correct and many people on this forum can attest to my statement.

I ordered 6/6/2021 and hope to get my i4 Msport 40 on August 18th......some 15 months after my initial preorder!

·
Registered
2020 330i xDrive Portimao Blue
1,635 Posts
You may want to research some other threads. I may not have stated clearly, but others on this web have confirmed the overall concept. Yes BMW AG accepts the order but the car goes into production based on each dealer's allocation. That's why so many people with preorders from June, like myself, are still waiting for bld dates and vehicle delivery, while others who ordered vehicles several months after June already have their cars! Maybe I'm over simplifying this, but please research this forum. One order comes to mind, can't remember who it was, but he is waiting for a week 32 bld, and that may not happen, for his 6/1/2021 preordered M50. If someone from the week 32 grp, could paste in the thread, if the M50 person doesn't reply first, which I imagine he will. He like many of us are angered by this preorder process.
Not discounting your opinion, bit respectfully, I think I am correct and many people on this forum can attest to my statement.

I ordered 6/6/2021 and hope to get my i4 Msport 40 on August 18th......some 15 months after my initial preorder!
That’s @Techwhiz1, and he’s back to “Order Received.” Again. I’m still “Scheduled for Production,” but my week was changed again this morning (see history in my signature). There is literally NO IDEA of when a car will be built until you have a VIN.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Don't need to research the threads. I have more intimate knowledge in the process than I care to. I have spoken to the Genius line more times than I care to talk about. My case has been escalated above the regular Genius.

The car doesn't go into production based on allocation; unless you mean production number?
You don't get a production number and order acceptance until allocation is available. That's why those with no dealer allocation don't have production numbers.

Once BMW AG has accepted the order and you go to status 111 with a production number, dealer allocation is done. The slot for building is confirmed from that point on. Now it's logistics and scheduling.

I had a production number on Dec 23, 2021.
BMW AG provided a tentative build of week 21.
The dealer no longer controlled anything in the process besides changing options and generating a VIR.

It's not clear why I'm back to "order received", but it's not because there isn't an allocation. That ship sailed on Dec 23, 2021.

I have a June 1, 2021 pre-order and a June 2, 2021 dealer assignment.

Waiting for my M50......

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: dudenjen and ssh

·
Registered
879 Posts
Don't need to research the threads. I have more intimate knowledge in the process than I care to. I have spoken to the Genius line more times than I care to talk about. My case has been escalated above the regular Genius.

The car doesn't go into production based on allocation; unless you mean production number?
You don't get a production number and order acceptance until allocation is available. That's why those with no dealer allocation don't have production numbers.

Once BMW AG has accepted the order and you go to status 111 with a production number, dealer allocation is done. The slot for building is confirmed from that point on. Now it's logistics and scheduling.

I had a production number on Dec 23, 2021.
BMW AG provided a tentative build of week 21.
The dealer no longer controlled anything in the process besides changing options and generating a VIR.

It's not clear why I'm back to "order received", but it's not because there isn't an allocation. That ship sailed on Dec 23, 2021.

I have a June 1, 2021 pre-order and a June 2, 2021 dealer assignment.

Waiting for my M50......
yes, we're saying the same thing. I should have said production number....

·
Registered
i4m50, 18inch 245/255 summer 18 inch 245/245 winter, order aug 21 - not delivered
935 Posts

Waiting for my M50......
Hi,
I certainly understand your frustration - here is some comparable info that might indicate that you and a lot of other i4M50 will get built in the following 1-2 months :

"BMW AG accepted my build on Dec". - That was 5 months after mine.
"Initially scheduled on Jan 3 for a May 21 build". - That was 2 months after mine.

Waiting is longer in Norway, my build is expected soon, after they finish the last 3000? i4M50's that was ordered (and confirmed/accepted by BMW AG) in June and July 2021 from Norway. - already delivered cars was delivered 3 - 6 months after contracts estimated delivery date.

I4 was launched in Norway 3 months before rest of the world.
Allocated cars for Norway was sold out mid August 2021, . (orders after that planned for 2023 delivery).
Since nearly every i4 ordered from Norway is i4M50, and mass production of i4M50 has not started yet, very few i4's has been delivered to Norway, while the flow of iX has been constant.

Visited the local dealer last week - that had emptied a whole floor of the second hand car workshop - to be ready for preparation of i4M50's.

Talked with the salesrep - iX40 is available with only a short waiting time, but decided to not change my i4M50 order to the iX, but wait a couple of weeks to see that the expected deliveries happen - if not I will switch to the iX or maybe iX1 (replace i3, and then wait for a new i4M50 next year) - Another alternative is the EQS or the ugly EQE (delivery September).

But I am currently quite optimistic about production ramping up and deliveries of the i4M50.

I dont think this will be the same delivery catastrophic that Mercedes ended up with in the 1990's where they built a new factory for SL production (Bremen Factory, R129 - older R107 Stuttgart) - that was too small, so that delivery time was up to five years. It was not resolved until they introduced the SLK series (A parallell could be that the delivery time of i4 will not improve until the iX1 (Regensburg Factory,Launch Norway June 2022, Germany November 2022) starts replacing new orders from i4 (Munich Factory) - I think this has already started in Norway, and possible all over Europe?)

41 - 60 of 66 Posts