BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone actually have young children and is not European spec (meaning, more than 178cm...), closer to 6' tall? The more I research, and the more videos I watch the less I think my M50 order is going to work as both myself and spouse are 6'0 tall with a 1 year old toddler in a rear-facing car seat. We also have a 4 year old and I am not at all worried about her. I currently have a Model Y, and E-Tron (small SUVs with likely more room), both of which fit the rear-facing seat fine, just worried the limited room the i4 is going to be problematic. I've searched here, YouTube, etc. I found a couple examples, but mostly with shorter passengers, which leads me to believe a 6 foot tall passenger would be rather uncomfortable.

Registered
M50 San Remo Green Fiona Red/Black Extended Merino 20000km driven
I have a 5year old on front facing and a newborn in rear facing.

We used to have the oldest one behind my wife as she is 176cm, i am 190cm.
When the second one was born i put the rear facing baby seat behind me and i had to adjust the seat forward compared to my normal driving possition. It was doable but we quickly swapped it back around.
My wife is okay with the seat behind her so we are fine.

I guess you would be wise to bring your seat and try it in a demo car. You dont need as much space as a passenger to be comfy, the steeringwheel was my biggest problem and my right knee was pretty close to the dash.

We have a Britax besafe 2 i-size. I also we have a Britax swingfix that my oldest used from like 9 months old in a G30 Sedan. I have not tried it yet in the i4. But i think it may take less space because you can adjust the seat abit more.

The i4 is a tight car to have small kids in, so it is a sacrifice to be honest. I could trade my i4 for an iX 40, but im waiting for the i5 touring. Not a SUV guy but the iX is a way better family car if you are not willing to sacrifice a little bit of comfort. 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for providing your experience! I don鈥檛 think I鈥檓 going to cancel my order just yet, and will most certainly take a car seat to the dealer before I sign the paperwork. It would only be a relatively short period where it mattered (6-12 months maybe) before we turn the youngest around. Maybe we just don鈥檛 use the I4 as the family car until that time as my wife鈥檚 vehicle is much more accommodating.

Registered
I'm 6 ft tall and I have a 1-month-old and a 6-year-old.
This is our second car otherwise I would've sold it already.
Chicco keyfit 35 infant rear-facing car seat doesn't fit behind me. My wife is slightly shorter than me and she is ok moving her passenger side seat a little bit forward so we can barely install the infant car seat. as my oldest we have a hard time finding the right backless booster seat. It would help if you had something small and compact otherwise the booster will block the seatbelt buckle. Also, I don't appreciate my oldest kicking the driver's seat every 10 seconds since it is very close to the rear seat.

It is safe to say this is certainly not a family car, especially for longer trips. Any trip longer than 30 minutes with two kids is unbearable but this I4 is only being used for my commute and some grocery shopping so I cannot complain. I could've bought IX but I certainly didn't want another crossover in my garage.
BMW 5 series versus I4 in my situation is like night and day. Maybe you want to wait for I5 or buy an ICE car instead.

Registered
I have the Chicco convertible seat facing backwards. It's in the middle seat. The front seats would have to be quite far forward to be able to fit it behind one of them.

With the car seat in the middle there is still room for two people to sit on either side although I can't say anyone who sat there left rave reviews afterwards.

I'm about 180cm tall and drive in a normal position.

Registered
i4 M50
Comfort Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Automotive design Comfort Vehicle Car seat cover

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Car seat Automotive design Tints and shades

I have a Cybex Sirona, rear facing for now. With about half a centimeter between chair and passenger seat, that leaves me (175 cm) with about 3 cm of legroom on the left leg. The right leg has more room, but probably too little for what your needs are.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes, yeah that is less than ideal for sure! I'm currently looking at iX builds, but not sure I can get on-board with the exterior design. I have an R1S reservation that will likely be the right size, but not sure I'll see it this year.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I was able to locate an I4 demo car at a local dealer so I dropped by on my lunch break today. When I put in my Britax Advocate rear-facing I can say with great confidence that the front passenger, at 6'0, is incredibly cramped. Initially my left knee was pressed fairly hard into the dash pad. After lowering my seat all the way I could get the seat to where I was still touching but not actually in pain, suffice it to say not adequate.

I'm not yet sure what I want to do. I did not cancel my M50 order as I also know the rear-facing stage is temporary and we could just use other means of transport when the entire family is going... Not sure when my order will get scheduled but I think ultimately I might need to pick a different direction. The e-tron SUV fits very well, but I would want the 2024 for the improved range and my local dealer stated that they didn't think orders would open until maybe June.

Thanks to those who helped!

Registered
I've got four kids, and my wife will be taking the kids 90% of the time... when I do take the kids, it's just three (10, 8, and 7) with the 2yo staying home. Otherwise I'd take the wife's car (have a minivan, with a big Wagoneer on order). Even with just boosters, the back seat is not ideal. The seatbelt location being flush with the seat makes it incredibly difficult for my kids to even get buckled. I ordered these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BR7DTYKY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <-- hope they help my kids to buckle themselves in the backseat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts