BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a former Tesla owner I'm happier with DAPP and TJA (Assist Plus) than I thought I'd be. Many of the things that I heard and read about aren't exactly true and I was afraid that it was going to be a disappointing experience compared to Tesla's AutoPilot. First, activating it is fairly simple, you just press the Cruise button. It activates immediately. If you want to set the speed to the speed limit you just press set next. Depending on your seat and steering wheel position it can be a little hard to see the screen info but if you have HUD it puts it there too, so another reason I'm now a big fan of HUD. For the freeway I drive on for my commute (the 210 in Southern Cal) it recognizes that I've met the conditions for Hands Free immediately and every time, so that becomes the 3rd button press, the Mode button and then the lights on my steering wheel turn green and it's completely activated. Not as simple as Tesla's simple turn on but still pretty easy. When traffic goes over 40MPH there's a warning and the steering wheel lights turn yellow and then you just have to lightly keep a few fingers on the wheel. Tesla is hands free at all speeds but that probably isn't as safe and it makes you jiggle the wheel periodically which is more annoying than just keeping part of your hand on the wheel. I do wish the speed ceiling for TJA was 50 instead of 40 because stop and go traffic often goes over 40 and then constantly slows to a crawl again. But here's the part I've been pleasantly surprised by, after it goes over 40 and deactivates, it automatically reactivates when traffic slows to 40 or below again without making me press the mode button again! It only doesn't behave that way if it's been a long time over 40 or the speed significantly increased but so far every time I've been in the 50's for a minute or two and then slowed again it has reactivated on its own. The starts and stops have also been a lot smoother than my Tesla but going around curves has not. The i4 definitely gets a little wobbly/uncertain when the freeway curves. But I spent 35 minutes this morning in complete stop and go traffic and it was hands and feet free the whole time which reduces so much stress so I'm really happy with it.

PAP. I wasn't originally planning on getting this because I don't parallel park very often but lots of people here said it was worth the $700 for the cameras. They were right, having the surround view is very helpful when backing out of tight spaces or being next to a curb. But yesterday I had to go to Pasadena (to go to the Tesla store to deactivate my account) which required parallel parking so I thought I'd try out the automatic parking. OMG, it worked perfectly. I was terrified the whole time but it got me into a somewhat tight space and no damage to my rims!

· Registered
954 Posts
As a former Tesla owner I'm happier with DAPP and TJA (Assist Plus) than I thought I'd be. Many of the things that I heard and read about aren't exactly true and I was afraid that it was going to be a disappointing experience compared to Tesla's AutoPilot. First, activating it is fairly simple, you just press the Cruise button. It activates immediately. If you want to set the speed to the speed limit you just press set next. Depending on your seat and steering wheel position it can be a little hard to see the screen info but if you have HUD it puts it there too, so another reason I'm now a big fan of HUD. For the freeway I drive on for my commute (the 210 in Southern Cal) it recognizes that I've met the conditions for Hands Free immediately and every time, so that becomes the 3rd button press, the Mode button and then the lights on my steering wheel turn green and it's completely activated. Not as simple as Tesla's simple turn on but still pretty easy. When traffic goes over 40MPH there's a warning and the steering wheel lights turn yellow and then you just have to lightly keep a few fingers on the wheel. Tesla is hands free at all speeds but that probably isn't as safe and it makes you jiggle the wheel periodically which is more annoying than just keeping part of your hand on the wheel. I do wish the speed ceiling for TJA was 50 instead of 40 because stop and go traffic often goes over 40 and then constantly slows to a crawl again. But here's the part I've been pleasantly surprised by, after it goes over 40 and deactivates, it automatically reactivates when traffic slows to 40 or below again without making me press the mode button again! It only doesn't behave that way if it's been a long time over 40 or the speed significantly increased but so far every time I've been in the 50's for a minute or two and then slowed again it has reactivated on its own. The starts and stops have also been a lot smoother than my Tesla but going around curves has not. The i4 definitely gets a little wobbly/uncertain when the freeway curves. But I spent 35 minutes this morning in complete stop and go traffic and it was hands and feet free the whole time which reduces so much stress so I'm really happy with it.

PAP. I wasn't originally planning on getting this because I don't parallel park very often but lots of people here said it was worth the $700 for the cameras. They were right, having the surround view is very helpful when backing out of tight spaces or being next to a curb. But yesterday I had to go to Pasadena (to go to the Tesla store to deactivate my account) which required parallel parking so I thought I'd try out the automatic parking. OMG, it worked perfectly. I was terrified the whole time but it got me into a somewhat tight space and no damage to my rims!
I generally agree with everything you stated regarding AP vs DAPP. However, the one issue I've had is the ping-ponging in the lane. AP did not do this (well, one time for one update, like 2 years ago). It's actually bad enough with DAPP that it is making my wife sick sometimes. I'm really hoping BMW fixes it quickly.

Otherwise, it's quite good. It has also handled construction zone lines much better than I expected (Tesla did an extremely good job at this).

But DAPP is definitely not as confident in the curves as AP was. But I definitely prefer just being able to touch the steering wheel, instead of the weird jiggling/pressure on the wheel that you had to get just right so that you didn't cancel AP. (I usually just used the right scroll wheel to do it instead.)

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never knew you could use the scroll wheel!

· Registered
954 Posts
Not sure if you noticed or maybe just my car but DAPP likes to hug the right side of the lane. That makes me uncomfortable when a big truck on my right side.
For me, it seems to hug the left side of the lane. That is definitely different than Tesla, which would be in the exact middle of a lane (when there were markers on both sides).

Reactions: bobkalka

· Premium Member
245 Posts
Never had a tesla. But on the highway I keep just a bit of pressure on the wheel to slow down the DAP steering adjustments. This seems to limit the ping-ponging for me.

· Registered
58 Posts

I drove the 210 once in California... I still have nightmares of it :)

My current i-4 does not have either of these and I do miss the speed adjustment Cruise control function. I'm actually thinking of trading my i-4 in in a couple years and purchase a new one just to get these two features :)

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drove the 210 once in California... I still have nightmares of it :)

My current i-4 does not have either of these and I do miss the speed adjustment Cruise control function. I'm actually thinking of trading my i-4 in in a couple years and purchase a new one just to get these two features :)
There's a job opening 5 minutes from my home and for a minute I almost thought about not applying because I just got my i4 with DAPP specifically for my long commute! LOL

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
For the ping-pong effect have you adjusted the lane keeping correction level?

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the ping-pong effect have you adjusted the lane keeping correction level?
No, where is that control? Hope it's not another one I'm missing!!!

Reactions: linerjoe

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
Driver Assistance settings.

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

· Registered
23 i4 e40 M Sport
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have lane keep assist and it's only a toggle on or off
under assisted driving all that I have is a toggle for Automatic Lane Change

· Registered
1,031 Posts

Glad you’re enjoying both! Funny you mention the 210 as I’ve also found DAPP to work fantastic on it, whether at high speed or in stop and go traffic.

Reactions: BW13

· Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if you noticed or maybe just my car but DAPP likes to hug the right side of the lane. That makes me uncomfortable when a big truck on my right side.
Mine is like that as well. So I feel more comfortable driving on the outer lane.

But then my car was leaning too much to the right when I was approaching an exit. For some reason I am not experiencing this as much as before. Maybe because of some update?

· Registered
358 Posts
For me, it seems to hug the left side of the lane. That is definitely different than Tesla, which would be in the exact middle of a lane (when there were markers on both sides).
My i4 hugs the right side then slowly drifts over to hugging the left side, if theres a curve to the right it will be hugging the left side close enough that I am scared it will drive into the railing.

It doesn't seem to be as sure about where the lane markings are.

· Registered
2022 BMW i4 M50
130 Posts
There's a job opening 5 minutes from my home and for a minute I almost thought about not applying because I just got my i4 with DAPP specifically for my long commute! LOL
A few months after I ordered my i4, and before it arrived, I changed jobs and now my commute is a 10 minute bicycle ride. That’s ideal of course, but I am a bit sad that I’m driving my i4 less than I had planned to.

Reactions: kwispel

· Registered
2022 BMW i4 M50
130 Posts
OK, I admit I sometimes do drive to work. It’s such a short distance that, with the current weather, I’m spending more kWh preheating the car than actually driving it.

• Haha
Reactions: Magicrat
1 - 20 of 31 Posts