BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
i4 M50 18" 858 M San Remo Green
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will happen if you do this with your i4?
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Hood

• Wow
Reactions: Elle BMW

·
Registered
2021 Mach E (i4 M50 on order)
55 Posts
I’m not an automotive engineer, but I know enough about the design to understand that the battery packs have sealant to prevent water intrusion, as do the HV connectors. I think these EVs are designed for minor and brief inundation, like driving through a road with 1-1.5 feet of standing water. I’d be more worried if the water level were high enough to flood the components under the hood, where you have the LV battery, HV battery coolant pumps, and other components that aren’t as well protected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I worked for an auto supplier in undergrad, and have a lot of friends in the industry now, the battery pack should be sealed enough for driving like this for short periods of time, it's not going to be designed for long term soaking.

But Honestly, an EV will probably be better as I'm less worried about the battery seals (which you'd want to maintain a constant low humidity inside anyway), than flooding an engine air intake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Provided we’re not talking modified Jeep’s, EV will do better than an ICE car. Good luck finding exposed/non sealed high Voltage wires in an I4.

The second that ICE exhaust goes under water you’re done. Same for the air intake.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Plenty of videos of Tesla's going through high water. No intakes to suck water into, etc. I wouldn't want to do it myself, but the battery packs and wiring should be sealed well.

·
Registered
M50, Sapphire black, Tacora red leather, Piano black trim, Comfort Pack, full Technology Plus Pack
195 Posts
What the hell? Is the Corvette nuclear powered or something?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The owners handbook for the i4 is pretty clear about driving though floods page 297 Driving through water states
  • only drive through still water
  • only drive through water up to a max depth of 25cm or 9.8 inch
  • drive through water at a walking speed of no more than 5km/h or 3mph

It then goes on to state that driving through excessively deep water too fast can result in water getting under the bonnet or into electrical system or transmission. There is a risk of material damage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The owners handbook for the i4 is pretty clear about driving though floods page 297 Driving through water states
  • only drive through still water
  • only drive through water up to a max depth of 25cm or 9.8 inch
  • drive through water at a walking speed of no more than 5km/h or 3mph

It then goes on to state that driving through excessively deep water too fast can result in water getting under the bonnet or into electrical system or transmission. There is a risk of material damage.
I'd imagine that ICE cars have similar numbers in the manual.

·
Registered
Ordered: 2023 i4 M50
11 Posts
Lol, there is speculation that the mid-engine design is what let it go through. The intake isn't right there in front of the car. They said it looked like an actual stingray in the water.
Just a note that just because it made it through doesn't mean it wasn't damaged. Water may have gotten into the cabin, into a bunch of components where it shouldn't be. Worse, that's probably salt water. We had a tropical storm here in Florida recently and the video is in the aftermath.

Long story short - I would never attempt that in any car, ICE or EV.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just a note that just because it made it through doesn't mean it wasn't damaged. Water may have gotten into the cabin, into a bunch of components where it shouldn't be. Worse, that's probably salt water. We had a tropical storm here in Florida recently and the video is in the aftermath.

Long story short - I would never attempt that in any car, ICE or EV.
Oh I suspect there's damage. I figure that it possibly made it into the exhaust system, and then there's just water that can creep inside the fender liners. The owner of this car, I would say they probably have more money than sense, but if that were the case they would probably have their Corvette in storage and would've found another way to traverse the waters. I figure any service department in Florida is going to study this video and void any warranty claims. Oh well, this is why we can't have nice stuff...

·
Registered
i4 M50 in Portimao Blue
53 Posts
BEV's will definitely fair better than an ICE equivalent. The main concern with an ICE is water down the intake and you flood the block. Side issues are water getting into electronics, or engine seals and damaging. BEV has similar but everything is sealed pretty well.

Of course if I saw this in real life, I would turn the car around and not go down that road. Not worth it. When I lived in hurricane prone areas, I'd pay to park my fun car in a local hotels garage structure when we were expecting major storms so it wouldn't flood if anything happen and keep the beater at the house ready to go.

·
Registered
243 Posts
BEV's will definitely fair better than an ICE equivalent. The main concern with an ICE is water down the intake and you flood the block. Side issues are water getting into electronics, or engine seals and damaging. BEV has similar but everything is sealed pretty well.

Of course if I saw this in real life, I would turn the car around and not go down that road. Not worth it. When I lived in hurricane prone areas, I'd pay to park my fun car in a local hotels garage structure when we were expecting major storms so it wouldn't flood if anything happen and keep the beater at the house ready to go.

I don't know if anything is safe these days...

Better just pray (error pay) for good insurance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts