BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone who is coming from a 2014 Volvo XC60 and occasional back pain, i'm worried how the sensatec seats will be for me in the long run. Anyone have any testimonials of how comfortable the seats are in the i4?

· Registered
i4 e40 msport 19" 859M Sunset Orange, cognac vernasca, open pore oak trim
2,479 Posts
As someone who is coming from a 2014 Volvo XC60 and occasional back pain, i'm worried how the sensatec seats will be for me in the long run. Anyone have any testimonials of how comfortable the seats are in the i4?
I have vernasca leather, but I can say the lumbar support is great.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have the sensatec seats with the adjustable lumbar on the driver’s side (thanks chip shortage, passenger delete). You should be able to find a comfortable position. I have driven 2000+ miles in the past 2 months and my back has been good. The seat bottoms are not quite as good as my last Acura, but they are ok.

· Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,987 Posts
I’ve got vernasca leather too and I can honestly say the comfort of the seats was one of my biggest surprises. I was a bit concerned about the seats being too hard from quick sessions in the showroom, but they’ve turned out to be truly comfortable seats, very supportive and not at all hard. Very happy!

· Registered
73 Posts
I also have seating issues with back pain if the seats do not provide enough support in the lumbar region. Originally, I spent some time in a normal G series Coupe with the Sports seats in it and then test drove the dealers demo i4M50 with Sports seats in it.The sports seats were good for me - my only slight criticism is that they don't provide the support you need in spirited driving like the M Sports seats do. I ended up ordering the i4M50 with M Sports seats and none were available to demo so I tried a X4 with M Sports seats which were fine.
I have had the i4M50 no for just over a month and the M Sports Seats are certainly comfortable and do provide the extra support. Having said that the normal Sports seats were also very comfortable for me.
For reference - I find the Model 3 seats to be very uncomfortable and I was also not entirely happy with the seats in the Polestar 2.

· Registered
121 Posts
Every time I get in an i4 at a dealership I'm shocked at how hard the bottom of the seat is. There seems to be virtually no padding compared to my tesla model 3. I wonder if this is to save headroom, but I've never seen a harder seat in a car.

· Premium Member
2022 I4 E40 Fully Loaded except HUD, M50 on order
288 Posts
Seats on the I4 are the same as in the 3 series, I don't like them, uncomfortable. You need to move to a 5 series to get multi contour seats which are excepcional

· Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,813 Posts
Seats on the I4 are the same as in the 3 series, I don't like them, uncomfortable. You need to move to a 5 series to get multi contour seats which are excepcional
The Vernasca leather seats on the i4 are the same as the 3 series. Very comfortable. I sat in them for two very long days driving from South Carolina to Colorado (14 hours and 18 hours). The adjustable lumbar support and side bolsters hold me in well for a non-sport seat, and I can adjust the seat to fit my frame and leg length.

Reactions: LionXV

· Registered
54 Posts
Seats are so personal. Most people can agree on the really bad ones, yet will argue and nitpick the better ones too.

The poster that said they aren’t as good as the 5 series isn’t wrong, but I disagree about them not being comfortable. With the caveat that I haven’t had a drive longer than about 1:45 (yet), I find them to have a good mix of comfort and support.

But my body type is tall skinny manchild, so YMMV

· Registered
52 Posts
5-series here; I find the seating comparable: seat closer to the floor than I prefer, and not enough thigh support. If you really want comfort, don't even think sedans. Think crossovers. It's just the way sedans are designed now. 🤷‍♂️

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
5-series here; I find the seating comparable: seat closer to the floor than I prefer, and not enough thigh support. If you really want comfort, don't even think sedans. Think crossovers. It's just the way sedans are designed now. 🤷‍♂️
Isn't it funny how different people are? I can't stand seats in any of the SUVs or crossovers I've ever been in. Not even the X5s I've driven recently. They are way to wide for me, and there's no "side hold" in them in my experience. I'd like the M Sport seats, but since we can't get those in the States, I'll settle for the Vernasca leather ones.

· Premium Member
'22 eD'40, Tanzanite, Oyster, 859M A/S, DAPP, PAP, MSport, Ext Shadow, Prem, MSusp, Laser, HK, HUD
207 Posts
Vernasca leather in my car, but I can tell you I am six back surgeries in and I find the seat in my i4 very comfortable. The longest trip has only been about 250 miles, but my back is happy. The heated seat, lumbar, and side bolsters provide nice support. In my last car the nerve pain in my feet would really bug me around two hours in, haven't had that issue with the i4 yet.

• Love
Reactions: Shahev and ssh

· Super Moderator
5,813 Posts
Vernasca leather in my car, but I can tell you I am six back surgeries in and I find the seat in my i4 very comfortable. The longest trip has only been about 250 miles, but my back is happy. The heated seat, lumbar, and side bolsters provide nice support. In my last car the nerve pain in my feet would really bug me around two hours in, haven't had that issue with the i4 yet.
That's great! And a testament to the seats. That kind of surgery history is no joke!

Reactions: LionXV

· Registered
52 Posts
Isn't it funny how different people are? I can't stand seats in any of the SUVs or crossovers I've ever been in. Not even the X5s I've driven recently. They are way to wide for me, and there's no "side hold" in them in my experience. I'd like the M Sport seats, but since we can't get those in the States, I'll settle for the Vernasca leather ones.
I definitely have had some version of this exchange with a lot of people, lol. And I'm with you on width; I'm 5'8" and don't like a seat that feels too big. I liked the way sedan cabins were designed much taller in the 90's and prior. I actually thought about getting an iX instead of an i4 this go-round, but I test drove an iX the same day as driving the i4, and the iX was just too weird.

Reactions: ssh

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,523 Posts
My only observation about the standard Sensatec seat is that the 'stitch' pattern on the back is very noticeable to me. I possibly might have gone with leather seats if I had had a chance to sit in both of them before ordering. The only time I saw any i4 in person before mine arrived though was a surprise test drive back in March. Seattle had a white e40 and a blue M50 for test drives, but both had leather, IIRC.

· Registered
656 Posts
My only observation about the standard Sensatec seat is that the 'stitch' pattern on the back is very noticeable to me. I possibly might have gone with leather seats if I had had a chance to sit in both of them before ordering. The only time I saw any i4 in person before mine arrived though was a surprise test drive back in March. Seattle had a white e40 and a blue M50 for test drives, but both had leather, IIRC.
Do you mean stitch pattern on the sides of the back or the perforated part in the middle?

· Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,523 Posts
Do you mean stitch pattern on the sides of the back or the perforated part in the middle?
The circled bit. (both sides) Feels like it's both grabbing my jacket and poking my back as a line.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

· Registered
656 Posts
The circled bit. (both sides) Feels like it's both grabbing my jacket and poking my back as a line. View attachment 19627
Interesting. Never noticed that. On test drives I’ve felt the lower center portion of the back pushing into my lower back a bit, but I assume that will soften up over time

1 - 18 of 18 Posts