BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any sort of automatic garage door activation based on location, using the Homelink/universal garage door opener?

This is a feature that my Tesla has, and I literally use it every time I get in the car. It's not a big deal, but I haven't been able to find out anything in the currently provided manual about homelink/universal garage door opener.

On the Tesla, you can specify a GPS location (like Home) and tell it to activate the garage door (1 of the 3 stored settings). So when I come home, it automatically opens the garage door when I get to the end of my driveway. It also closes my garage door when I leave. Personally, I have never had an issue with this, and it just "works", and now is just normal behavior.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
367 Posts
I loved that about the Tesla too, but I doubt that a geofencing opener is in the cards for the i4. If it were, I’d think they’d be promoting it.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
Just setup a routine thru either Google or Amazon Alexa.
I've setup a routine command thru Amazon alexa so when I come home on my bike, I say I'm home, a series of smart lights come on . If I had a smarthome garage door opener, I would put that into the routine.
There's lots of ways to figure it out especially with both Google and Amazon built in to the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I loved that about the Tesla too, but I doubt that a geofencing opener is in the cards for the i4. If it were, I’d think they’d be promoting it.
I know only about the geofencing window opener and to activate your 180° front cam from OS7.

·
Registered
MB GLA
281 Posts
Just setup a routine thru either Google or Amazon Alexa.
I've setup a routine command thru Amazon alexa so when I come home on my bike, I say I'm home, a series of smart lights come on . If I had a smarthome garage door opener, I would put that into the routine.
There's lots of ways to figure it out especially with both Google and Amazon built in to the car.
How far from the home can you activate the routine ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a routine configured in Home Assistant (open source home automation hub/service with integrations to basically all smart devices) that can detect when anyone in the family is home or not and execute any kind of connected actions based on the changes of statuses, time of day, weather and so on. Basically I have a setup that automatically turns on lights at home half an hour before sunset, except if there is noone home. And then a second routine that activates when anyone comes home later than half an hour before sunset and turns the lights on if they are not already on. And another that turns off all the lights and starts up a Roomba when everyone leaves home and stays away for at least 10 minutes. Works perfectly.

It has configurable ways to figure out presence of people, but I use the default approach - there is a Home Assistant app installed on each of our phones. It tracks the phone location and then reports to Home Assistant if we are in pre-defined areas (think "Home", "Work", "School", no GPS location ever leaves the phone), you can adjust the detection radius of each zone, so that it activates when you are 100m from your home, for example. You could configure that to open your garage door when you are coming home and close when you have left.

Technically HA also has a BMW integration that can read the car location (and translate it to these zones) and provide other car info (like state of charge, remaining range, ...), but it has stopped working recently and it might not provide the info frequently enough during driving to be able to react quick enough to open the garage door on arrival reliably. (Seems like there is a fix being reviewed)

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
434 Posts
I have a routine configured in Home Assistant (open source home automation hub/service with integrations to basically all smart devices) that can detect when anyone in the family is home or not and execute any kind of connected actions based on the changes of statuses, time of day, weather and so on. Basically I have a setup that automatically turns on lights at home half an hour before sunset, except if there is noone home. And then a second routine that activates when anyone comes home later than half an hour before sunset and turns the lights on if they are not already on. And another that turns off all the lights and starts up a Roomba when everyone leaves home and stays away for at least 10 minutes. Works perfectly.

It has configurable ways to figure out presence of people, but I use the default approach - there is a Home Assistant app installed on each of our phones. It tracks the phone location and then reports to Home Assistant if we are in pre-defined areas (think "Home", "Work", "School", no GPS location ever leaves the phone), you can adjust the detection radius of each zone, so that it activates when you are 100m from your home, for example. You could configure that to open your garage door when you are coming home and close when you have left.

Technically HA also has a BMW integration that can read the car location (and translate it to these zones) and provide other car info (like state of charge, remaining range, ...), but it has stopped working recently and it might not provide the info frequently enough during driving to be able to react quick enough to open the garage door on arrival reliably. (Seems like there is a fix being reviewed)
Cool another smart home person. Do you have your hvac hooked up too via a smart home thermostat too?
Have you tried the IFTTT app? I've setup a cool "alert alert alert" routine where all the lights in the house turn off and on repeatedly. Hehehe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I have a lot of Zwave devices throughout my house, and use SmartThings Hub for general control. I do not have an "intelligent" garage door at this time. Obviously there are a few ways to do this, but that's why I was asking whether or not BMW had a similar function, as this already works for me in the Tesla, so I wouldn't have to change much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We use all of this smart home stuff too. We have teenage boys and I have it set to lock the house when their phones get too far away. They never leave home without them and they never lock the doors...

·
Registered
34 Posts
iDrive 6 used to have a SmartThings app. I had a shortcut to open the garage door and turn on some lights and devices.

There were also some BMW IFTTT recipes with triggers based on geolocation and starting or stopping the car.

I feel I was the only one using those integrations and they eventually stopped developing for it.
I also have some scripts to authenticate to their API and get some information from the car and send commands. Hopefully, the i4 will support the same API.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I’m a huge Home Assistant fan as well. Definitely a steeper learning curve than Tesla’s auto opener, but I’ll take the local control and flexibility any day. I also have my vacuum setup to run when we leave but I haven’t played with granting access (garage, door locks, etc.) based on proximity for fear that a bug will trigger an unlock or a stop at the park up the street with the kiddo will consider me in range of the house and unlock things. Do you have any secondary controls built around this? I suppose with the eSIM a condition could be built to only open the garage if the phone is connected to the car’s Wi-Fi (wish there was a Bluetooth sensor in the HA app that could also detect connection to a car). But I’m still a little leery of unlocking things automagically.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For the new 4 series coupe and convertible:

Should work also with the gran coupe.
maybe

But you need the automatic interior mirror (here its optional I think its for the power supply)

·
Registered
902 Posts
For the new 4 series coupe and convertible:

Should work also with the gran coupe.
maybe

But you need the automatic interior mirror (here its optional I think its for the power supply)
If it is installable from the dealer, it means that it is self contained and there would be no way to activate it from the vehicle software e.g. through geofencing. I like the Audi approach better where it is part of the vehicle electronics and you can control it through the MMI, at least that opens the possibility of controlling it from the vehicle's app(s).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m a huge Home Assistant fan as well. Definitely a steeper learning curve than Tesla’s auto opener, but I’ll take the local control and flexibility any day. I also have my vacuum setup to run when we leave but I haven’t played with granting access (garage, door locks, etc.) based on proximity for fear that a bug will trigger an unlock or a stop at the park up the street with the kiddo will consider me in range of the house and unlock things. Do you have any secondary controls built around this? I suppose with the eSIM a condition could be built to only open the garage if the phone is connected to the car’s Wi-Fi (wish there was a Bluetooth sensor in the HA app that could also detect connection to a car). But I’m still a little leery of unlocking things automagically.
I am the same with the locks. I have plenty of other routines, and I use it a lot in my home theater, where it automatically controls the lights when a movie starts, etc. I don't have any locks/openers tied to it yet. That's also why I liked the Tesla method, since it was just using the normal homelink, and was tied to a geofence.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would be very careful with house locks controlled from the internet - the problem with the internet is that hacking progresses faster than security. Actually, the latest trailer of the future stupid but potentially funny movie Scream 2022 has scenes based on the murderer hacking the house locks - see 0:33 onwards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's also why I liked the Tesla method, since it was just using the normal homelink, and was tied to a geofence.
Yeah, the limited range of an RF signal with Homelink vs. the unlimited range of setting this up with Home Assistant is a huge security benefit. A big part of the reason I probably wouldn’t go the HA route without strong secondary security controls.

I would be very careful with house locks controlled from the internet - the problem with the internet is that hacking progresses faster than security. Actually, the latest trailer of the future stupid but potentially funny movie Scream 2022 has scenes based on the murderer hacking the house locks - see 0:33 onwards.
I don’t mean to be pedantic but the reason many of us prefer Home Assistant to other smarthome ecosystems is that it’s not controlled via the Internet, everything runs on your local home network. With Google Home, Amazon Alexa, etc., Google and Amazon’s computers control the logic and the connectivity to all the devices. With Home Assistant, only your own computer controls the logic and all of the traffic is on your LAN which DRAMATICALLY reduces the attack vector.

IMO, there is still some risk with smart locks/garage, but for a hacker attack my locks (which I don’t have anyway, at least not yet), they would have to target me specifically, which means they would have to crack my Wi-Fi network to gain access to my LAN and hack my computer to gain access to Home Assistant before anything nefarious could happen. At that point, a rock through a window (or a diamond cutter if they wanted to be more discreet) is about 1/1,000,000th the effort. Our homes aren’t secure as we like to think they are….

·
Registered
69 Posts
I too am a heavy home assistant user and have thought a bunch about this as well. The connected app would be cool to use but even if it worked I would be worried about getting cut off their api if I changed polling to 5 seconds or so.
Could use a Bluetooth with a esp32 in my garage for presence detection to my cell phone
I have also toyed with the idea of doing presence detection via a camera and object detection. If I had a front license plate I could read that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts