BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
928 Posts
I'm using Livisi Smarthome (used to have a different name before but I forgot).
Connected all my Philips Hue Lights, Netatmo devices, Thermostats, Magnetic contacts for windows and outside doors, movement sensors everywhere, and power switches to one single interface. Everything is controllable from a distance using your smartphone.
For example, all lights flash (Hue) when air quality (Netatmo) goes bad (= important in Covid-times)

Edit: I found the reaction time of IFTTT way too slow.
Also using "Tasker" for some automated things. Very powerful!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Technically HA also has a BMW integration that can read the car location (and translate it to these zones) and provide other car info (like state of charge, remaining range, ...), but it has stopped working recently and it might not provide the info frequently enough during driving to be able to react quick enough to open the garage door on arrival reliably. (Seems like there is a fix being reviewed)
M50 will be my first BMW but I’m so excited for that integration assuming it gets fixed by my delivery (I’ve got 7 or 8 months for devs to get to it 🤞). There are so many cool automations possible.
  • Precondition the car/battery based on my normal time leaving the house every day
  • Charge the car at full capacity during the day, but if my solar system/Powerwall anticipate a storm that may take our electricity at night, pause the charging and prioritize keeping the Powerwall at max capacity, then switch back to charging
  • (Possibly) At night if motion from cameras is detected near the car, turn outdoor floodlights and headlights on (not sure if headlights can be controlled
I’m sure I’ll come up with more after the car is here and I have some time to tinker.

·
Registered
Kona EV, 335i convertible, K1600b mc
468 Posts
M50 will be my first BMW but I’m so excited for that integration assuming it gets fixed by my delivery (I’ve got 7 or 8 months for devs to get to it 🤞). There are so many cool automations possible.
  • Precondition the car/battery based on my normal time leaving the house every day
  • Charge the car at full capacity during the day, but if my solar system/Powerwall anticipate a storm that may take our electricity at night, pause the charging and prioritize keeping the Powerwall at max capacity, then switch back to charging
  • (Possibly) At night if motion from cameras is detected near the car, turn outdoor floodlights and headlights on (not sure if headlights can be controlled
I’m sure I’ll come up with more after the car is here and I have some time to tinker.
Good points. Funny u mentioned turning the headlights on...I don't think it would be able to do it natively in the bmw app but my thoughts were to run a record macro program to record my actions on the phones screen while I open the bmw app and then click on turning on the headlights button. ..years ago , when I worked at this one place we had to do mundane online training courses and you had to read the whole page and then click Next at the bottom of the page and each page after that till it was finished. So basically I would run the macro program and it would click thru 20-25:pages and I would be finished in record time.
I will have to find a similar app today and try it on my current car app and see if I can turn on the headlights and then run another macro to turn off the headlights.
But having that routine to be able to run the headlights after a motion sense would be kinda cool and freak an intruder out.

·
928 Posts
Opening and closing garage doors when leaving/coming home can easily be done with some power switches, some sensors and a little (easy) programming with"Tasker" on your phone. GPS localisation needs to be on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The i3 supported flashing the headlights, but the same API call didn’t work on my G20 330e.

I’m looking forward to reverse engineering the i4 API

webapi/v1/user/vehicles/VIN/serviceExecutionStatus?serviceType=LIGHT_FLASH

·
Registered
29 Posts
Below are APIs that are available on the i3. I can’t imagine BMW taking a step backward with iDrive 8 and not supporting the same set of functionality with the i4 (and hopefully there’s a lot more!). Using these older APIs alone, it looks like it would be pretty easy to, for example, set a destination, plus the car in, and trigger an alert to your phone as soon as the car has sufficient charge to reach the destination. I’m excited to play around with this too!

SOFTWARE.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is there any sort of automatic garage door activation based on location, using the Homelink/universal garage door opener?

This is a feature that my Tesla has, and I literally use it every time I get in the car. It's not a big deal, but I haven't been able to find out anything in the currently provided manual about homelink/universal garage door opener.

On the Tesla, you can specify a GPS location (like Home) and tell it to activate the garage door (1 of the 3 stored settings). So when I come home, it automatically opens the garage door when I get to the end of my driveway. It also closes my garage door when I leave. Personally, I have never had an issue with this, and it just "works", and now is just normal behavior.
A universal garage door opener is a standard feature on the i4, and appears on myBMW tracking under standard features.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A universal garage door opener is a standard feature on the i4, and appears on myBMW tracking under standard features.
Yes, it's included. The question is about geofenced or location based triggering of the opener (like Tesla has).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts