BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,514 Posts
Pretty sure this will be 100% down to two things: M50 vs e40 and what tires are on it.

Reactions: gsbaker and MzTeaze

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure this will be 100% down to two things: M50 vs e40 and what tires are on it.
More of interest is the e40 and it’s rear wheel drive, particularly on inclines. Hopefully the weight and its 50:50 distribution will give it some advantage over standard ICE BMWs with rear wheel drive. I would be interested to know how well the battery preconditioning works when navigating to a HPC at low temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
5,722 Posts
The dealer said 50:50 but he may have rounded up for the dim customer.
Yep. BMW targets 50/50, but doesn't quite make it with either car. @8TinBoCO is right on with the numbers.

Reactions: BMWLar

·
Registered
294 Posts
More of interest is the e40 and it’s rear wheel drive, particularly on inclines. Hopefully the weight and its 50:50 distribution will give it some advantage over standard ICE BMWs with rear wheel drive. I would be interested to know how well the battery preconditioning works when navigating to a HPC at low temperatures.
I have been driving the 330e which is also RWD, and never had any issues. It's really up to your tires and driving skills only. Of course, you can't race down the Autobahn at 190 km/h in snow, but I wouldn't do that with an M50 either. So with that in mind, plus that I always only had 2WD (RWD or FWD) cars during my entire driving life (almost 50 years), I didn't even consider the M50.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been driving the 330e which is also RWD, and never had any issues. It's really up to your tires and driving skills only. Of course, you can't race down the Autobahn at 190 km/h in snow, but I wouldn't do that with an M50 either. So with that in mind, plus that I always only had 2WD (RWD or FWD) cars during my entire driving life (almost 50 years), I didn't even consider the M50.
Tjena!
I do quite a bit of winter driving in the Alps and will be transitioning from an AWD I-Pace, to the e40 next year. I am very much looking forward to it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Tjena!
I do quite a bit of winter driving in the Alps and will be transitioning from an AWD I-Pace, to the e40 next year. I am very much looking forward to it.
I never had anything other than 2WD and never missed the AWD. 4WD is one thing, but AWD is not equal 4WD. Nevertheless, I would not buy a 4WD unless I really need one, and winter diving is not the same. I mean, we have been driving in Europe for many years without AWD or 4WD cars, and it worked out pretty well... I keep a sort of "plastic tire chains" in my car during the winter, just in case I need it, but that's all. It's a sort of a plastic net with hard plastic studs which I can put on my tires if I'd REALLY need it, but that's all. I have never used it the last 8 or so years I was driving with stud-less winter tires.

BTW, I have been living in Switzerland during the 70's and NOBODY was driving around in 4WD, except some farmers. We had tire chains in the car during the winter, just in case... It worked out well anyway, even before they built the Gotthard tunnel. Of course, there were times when the only option was to take the car train if you wanted to drive from Tessin to Zürich or the opposite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts