BMW i4 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2018 BMW 440xi Convertible M Sport / Estoril Blue / Black Upholstery w/ Blue Stitching
54 Posts
Curious if anyone can compare to the Dynaudio upgraded system that VW offered in their Passats long ago (I think I had a 2006 Passat 3.6). For me, that was the best car audio system I’ve heard. The HK system in my 2018 BMW 440i convertible to lame in comparison.

·
Registered
i4 M50 03/2022
127 Posts
Yup. Once I tweaked the bass it sounded awesome. Prior to the HK, the best sound I had experienced was the Meridian system in the I-Pace. The HK in the i4 is, IMO, comparable. I wasn’t expecting that, so it’s a pleasant surprise.
That's great to hear, I'm coming from a Jag Meridian system as well and for a stock speaker system I was very happy. The standard speakers on the demo car were very disappointing so I opted for the HK system.

Should I just remove the HK upgrade from my pre-order? Or will it be easier to upgrade from HK to aftermarket vs starting with the standard sound system?

I'm ok with sacrificing some trunk space for the subwoofer if needed, if the aftermarket doesn't fit underneath like the HK does.
So the benefit would be better tweeters and mid range in the cabin, plus most of the wiring is already run for removing the HK sub and installing something better. You'll probably just need to upgrade the power cable to support a bigger amp. Im sure with some time, after market will come up with some harnesses specific to this system

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there a way to turn up just the subwoofer in the trunk? The sound from the car is actually pretty decent overall. It’s not as good as the bermester in my previous Mercedes but it is much better then the meridian in the Jaguar however the subwoofer in the truck feels very underwhelming. Turning up the bass turns it up across the board and I’m surprised to not see a specific subwoofer adjustment in the menu system.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
615 Posts
Is there a way to turn up just the subwoofer in the trunk? The sound from the car is actually pretty decent overall. It’s not as good as the bermester in my previous Mercedes but it is much better then the meridian in the Jaguar however the subwoofer in the truck feels very underwhelming. Turning up the bass turns it up across the board and I’m surprised to not see a specific subwoofer adjustment in the menu system.
The closest you get is the 100Hz band on the equalizer, I believe.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,916 Posts
The more I listen to the system the more I think that video review nailed it. Initially I thought the HK was on par with Meridian system I had in my I-Pace, but now having lived with it a while I’d give it a slight edge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As always, so many different users and expectations and how to rate them.

I wouldn't rate it good, 7,5/10 (audiophile here, so expectations are very high for car audio too). i4 HK is really missing on low end, in the sub section totally - and my rating is very depended on the low end (in a car, where most of the noise is on the low end, you have to raise it (heavily), to be heard and to feel it when driving). Otherwise, than the bass section, it's quite ok. I have made some more specific comparison on some other discussion thread in this forum.

This reviewer is missing even the basics, so not a very reliable one. EQ does not cover nine bands, it's a seven band, but just having nine sliders; bass and treble is possible to be tweaked with one slider, on the extreme left or right side and it's moving total balance on multiple bands (of those seven) so you don't have to do it for several individual bands. Perhaps handy for some cases, but better to have eg. two more eq bands on the low end for real sub frequencies, as now it's lowest point is 100Hz, so not even touching sub freq. Well, most likely the i4's HK sub can't cope it either, if you would be able to raise the sub level.

i4 is a company lease so no mods. But if it were my own, most likely would upgrade the sub in the trunk first. Using the whole bottom area would perhaps be enough space for new real sub. Secondly adding a decent dsp to be able to tweak balance, perhaps changing front speakers after that too.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I wouldn't rate it good, 7,5/10 (audiophile here, so expectations are very high for car audio too). i4 HK is really missing on low end, in the sub section totally - and my rating is very depended on the low end (in a car, where most of the noise is on the low end, you have to raise it (heavily), to be heard and to feel it when driving). Otherwise, than the bass section, it's quite ok. I have made some more specific comparison on some other discussion thread in this forum.

This reviewer is missing even the basics, so not a very reliable one. EQ does not cover nine bands, it's a seven band, but just having nine sliders; bass and treble is possible to be tweaked with one slider, on the extreme left or right side and it's moving total balance on multiple bands (of those seven) so you don't have to do it for several individual bands. Perhaps handy for some cases, but better to have eg. two more eq bands on the low end for real sub frequencies, as now it's lowest point is 100Hz, so not even touching sub freq. Well, most likely the i4's HK sub can't cope it either, if you would be able to raise the sub level.

i4 is a company lease so no mods. But if it were my own, most likely would upgrade the sub in the trunk first. Using the whole bottom area would perhaps be enough space for new real sub. Secondly adding a decent dsp to be able to tweak balance, perhaps changing front speakers after that too.
Have you heard the “upgraded” audio in the Tesla Model 3? If so, how do you feel the Harmon Kardon system compares? It may be an urban myth, however, there’s a story out there that it was designed for Tesla by former B&O engineers.

·
Registered
59 Posts

This would be my exact experience with the system and overall impression, well said.

·
Registered
‘22 i4 eDrive40 🍉
615 Posts
Audiophile here, but perhaps more classically oriented. Can't speak much to WHOMP WHOMP WHUMMMMM BUMPITY BUMP BUMP musical styles, but for things more gentle and nuanced, it's quite excellent, and even better once equalized properly. More EQ bands wouldn't hurt my feelings, but getting the RTA map led to surprise; it was much flatter than any other stock audio system I've seen, including the B&W 7-series systems and countless custom installs. The engineers took their time on this one.

I have not compared it to the other audio systems available on the i4.

·
Registered
i4 eDrive 40; 2021 Audi e-Tron Sportback
1,916 Posts
Audiophile here, but perhaps more classically oriented. Can't speak much to WHOMP WHOMP WHUMMMMM BUMPITY BUMP BUMP musical styles, but for things more gentle and nuanced, it's quite excellent, and even better once equalized properly. More EQ bands wouldn't hurt my feelings, but getting the RTA map led to surprise; it was much flatter than any other stock audio system I've seen, including the B&W 7-series systems and countless custom installs. The engineers took their time on this one.

I have not compared it to the other audio systems available on the i4.
The style of music listened to may well explain the different perceptions of the system. I’m not a hard rock or WHOMP WHOMP THUMP THIMP listener either. It just sounds full & well balanced.

·
Registered
2022 i4 eDrive40 MSport TBII
2,084 Posts
I guess those of us who think this system is very good are essentially deaf. :rolleyes:
With my tinnitus, spending extra on HK is pointless.
More money for other stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: Ken7
21 - 40 of 48 Posts