BMW i4 Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys,

I just got my i4 two weeks ago, so I decided to post a review about audio system.

I decided to go with the mid-range option "Hifi-system" at 400 euros in my i4.
I used to have an AUDI A5 sportback with Bang and Olufsen 3D soundsystem.

I have to say that the mid-range Hifi option is of decent quality. It has enough power to make it loud in the car without sound distorbtion nor door panel vibration. Yes, there is no subwoofer in the trunck but the bass still sounds very decent. And you have much more free space for luggage!

My friend has the original audio system and it is definitely crap so if you like good sound, you should at least order the mid-range option.
Compared to the AUDI B&O system, There is a bit less power (but anyways I never used full power as it is too loud when you sit in the car), and there is no surround sound but its not a big deal. Bass with a sub is the best but I don't miss the sub with the BMW has they are ok. Unless you listen to music with very deep bass, it is not necessary to go with HK system.

So to sum up, the Hifi system option is good and will satisfy most of people.

·
Registered
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 08/2022 - Tanzanite Blue - Sensatec Cognac
230 Posts
Is the "mid-range" what's marketed as "Harman Kardon" in Europe? Or is another version altogether?

I'm happy with my HK-Setup, too.
When it's working properly. Which it doesn't all the time.

I've got a scheduled maintenance coming Monday, where they want to install a new software which supposedly fixes the issue. Let's see if that's already the allegedly released 9/22 version...

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are 3 options in the I4:

The Standard system outputs 100 Watts of power and has a midrange speaker in each of the doors and a central bass speaker underneath the front seats.

The Hi-Fi speaker system has 205 Watts of power, where it adds tweeters within the front doors, and a centre speaker configuration that has a tweeter and midrange combination within the dashboard; taking the tally up to ten speakers.

The top-spec 464-Watt Harman Kardon system adds an additional seven speakers within the cabin, which takes the tally up to sixteen. Here, you have a tweeter within each of the rear door trims, and a midrange and tweeter combination by the rear parcel shelf. and a subwoofer in the Trunk

The i4 M50 has the Hi-Fi option as standard

·
Registered
923 Posts
There are 3 options in the I4:

The Standard system outputs 100 Watts of power and has a midrange speaker in each of the doors and a central bass speaker underneath the front seats.

The Hi-Fi speaker system has 205 Watts of power, where it adds tweeters within the front doors, and a centre speaker configuration that has a tweeter and midrange combination within the dashboard; taking the tally up to ten speakers.

The top-spec 464-Watt Harman Kardon system adds an additional seven speakers within the cabin, which takes the tally up to sixteen. Here, you have a tweeter within each of the rear door trims, and a midrange and tweeter combination by the rear parcel shelf. and a subwoofer in the Trunk

The i4 M50 has the Hi-Fi option as standard
There is no underseat woofer in the i4, woofers are located in the front doors.

• Helpful
Reactions: ssh and Grestorn

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’m really not looking forward to having the basic 100w sound system. I’ll provide some feedback next week once I’ve picked up the car.

·
Registered
923 Posts
What are some good DSPs these days? I haven't looked at audio things since the E90 days where the JBL MS-8 was the popular choice iirc. I still have mine somewhere that I never installed/opened lol...
The MS-8 will be a great DSP/amp for the HiFi system, as long as it still works. I went thru 4 MS-8 myself, and about 9 from clients back in the early 2010, they worked great until they just crapped out.

Reactions: ssh
41 - 48 of 48 Posts