BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
i4 M50, high executive, laser lights, park pro
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been enjoying my m50 for about 6 weeks now, and have to say I'm enjoying it massively.

I do have issues with speed bumps - I have a stock m50, not lowered, always drive in comfort mode in town. The city I live in has an abundance of speedbumps - most are not bad, some are nasty. Since the first day I've been driving the car, I've been having problems taking the nasty ones; even at <20km/hr (<12 mph for those not aligned with the metric system) the front of the car often hits the ground. In the beginning I wasn't sure if I was hearing the front suspension or something actually scratching the road, so I've continued just being careful in driving over those bumps.

As I had to bring the car in for (other) service, I asked them to check, and it turns out the bottom plate has cracked in the front and has to be replaced. I'm surprised, as I think this shouldn't happen that easily - and I've been driving a multitude of (much lighter) BMW cars (4 series gasoline) over those same bumps at more than double the speed. The maintenance spot checked the suspension, and they're saying there's nothing wrong with the car - it has just been driven over those bumps too fast.

I think the debate is still out on the M50 being the same ride height as the standard i4, and I know this is a very heavy and relatively low car, but I'm interested to learn if there are others with similar problems (with or without the damage). Anyone? I worry this problem will come back after it's fixed :/

· Registered
283 Posts
I do find speed bumps less pleasant to drive over compared to my last 335i. Haven't had the front hitting the ground; I take them very slowly.

· Administrator
2023 i4 m50 Portimao/Oyster
7,888 Posts
I take them at an angle, but have hit the front coming out of a parking lot!

· Registered
101 Posts
Yes, as ssh said, take them at a slight angle, so both shocks don't compress at the same time. This car is heavy, and the M50's front end even more so.
That said, this car is lower than our previous Passat & Audi Avant, making us get a small driveway ramp, as without it the i4's rubber air-dam at the front end scrapes every time.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have to start taking them at an angle - I guess once things are fixed, maybe some carefulness will only get scrapes and not tears :)

· Premium Member
(2) i4 M50’s -2022 dravit G+fiona / 2023 twilight P+ivory . (1) 2023 Tesla M3SR grey/white
542 Posts
Gosh, I’ve not had any issues with speed bumps at stick height. But a bit worried to drop my car 20mm with the acs spring kit… there is only one spot I know that may be an issue and it’s a parking garage with about a 38-40degree angle that is just nasty… as with stock suspension height I creep up it at an angle and have about 25mm clearance. Sooooo, doing 20mm drop makes that parking garage something not worth risking…. Otherwise never had any issues with normal speed bumps around town and plenty of clearance.
Still debating on just selling my acs spring kit to someone. The stock height is not ideal for me but it is practical.

should I just lower it anyhow?’ Haha

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Things got fixed and in my case it's much better. I'm almost convinced there was some problem already there during delivery - but there's no way to tell now. That said, my (public) parking garage has a less-than-40 degree angle downward slope to get in (but still quite steep), and I have to take it slow. The (lowered) M4 competition in the same garage often has front lip damage. Especially after the damages I'm quite careful :)

· Registered
2,209 Posts
ouch, you'll need to bring in your own board to bridge the slope!

Picture of the exit at my work's parking garage with very minimal clearance...it's a bit of a bump (or a mountain peak in my car's eyes!)
Yeah, no lowering.

Waiting for my M50......

Reactions: cruzer666
1 - 11 of 11 Posts