BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the US we (unfortunately) cannot order a factory installed hitch. Stealth Hitches announced earlier they are working on an aftermarket solution, and they just released it:

We are pleased to announce that our Stealth Hitch for the BMW i4 is now available to order (see the link below).
2022-2023 BMW i4

Supposedly the are ready to be shipped out from next week onwards. For those interested I have attached the installation instructions.

Questions I have:
  • also compatible with 2022 model?
  • installation instructions show eDrive35/40 - Is the hitch also compatible with M50?

Wat do you guys think?

Attachments

· Registered
129 Posts
They explicitly list 2022-2023 model years, so that answers your first question. I think at the rear, an M50 is exactly the same as an eDrive40 with the M Sport package, so as long as they've accommodated that, it should be okay.

Reactions: reddy_kilowatt

· Premium Member
245 Posts
Anyone know if there is a European OEM wiring kit?

· Premium Member
245 Posts
Yeah. But OEM wiring tends to be “smarter”.

· Registered
678 Posts
I just received their email. I'm interested. Anyone know if they work with installers in South Florida? Cost of Kit + Install?

· Registered
678 Posts

· Registered
678 Posts

· Premium Member
245 Posts
The install is $1000? Or the hitch with install is $1000?

· Registered
678 Posts
The install is $1000? Or the hitch with install is $1000?
Complete installation with hitch, excludes the wiring which is additional parts and labor. I didn't get a quote for that as I really only plan to attach my bike rack.

They said it was about a 3-4 hour job. I wouldn't do this myself.

· Registered
2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 M Sport Pro Portimao Blue (waiting...)
39 Posts
I've ordered mine. $800 CAD for the hitch receiver w/o harness and $500 CAD for install. I checked a few local shops and all were within 50 bucks. The shop estimated 2-3 weeks for it to arrive and 4 hours for install

· Registered
170 Posts
I've ordered mine. $800 CAD for the hitch receiver w/o harness and $500 CAD for install. I checked a few local shops and all were within 50 bucks. The shop estimated 2-3 weeks for it to arrive and 4 hours for install
I'm always wary of these things, because they're usually made from steel, and always seem to be rusted after a year.

Why don't you fold down the seats and travel with your bike inside? It'd definitely fit with the front wheel off. I have a disc brake bike with thru axle; I guess if I had to fiddle with QR alignment each time, I wouldn't want to take the front wheel off.

· Registered
380 Posts
Outside of a bike what are folks planning to haul with this hitch? Also does the wiring harness allow you to attach a trailer and have turn signals on it or is that just for the install of the hitch?

· Registered
39 Posts
I'm always wary of these things, because they're usually made from steel, and always seem to be rusted after a year.

Why don't you fold down the seats and travel with your bike inside? It'd definitely fit with the front wheel off. I have a disc brake bike with thru axle; I guess if I had to fiddle with QR alignment each time, I wouldn't want to take the front wheel off.
I have had a hitch receiver on my last 4 vehicles and never had a rusting issue. They are always powder coated.

My bike won't fit inside with out removing the rear wheel or having to adjust the seatpost. I am 6'3" so my saddle height is just a bit too tall (I've tried); otherwise with the seats down the cargo area is long enough for my bikes. Plus, during cyclocross season, I do not want to put a muddy bike inside my car.

· Registered
678 Posts
Outside of a bike what are folks planning to haul with this hitch? Also does the wiring harness allow you to attach a trailer and have turn signals on it or is that just for the install of the hitch?
That is all I'd really want it for. It is just so much more convenient to attach a folding bike rack to the hitch and be done with it. Fast, easy and very safe. Putting bike inside messes up the upholstery, carpet and roof lining. Used to always do this with the kids bikes.

The wiring is if you want to control the lights and brakes on a trailer, not necessary for a bike rack.

I put one on my X5 and just use it for my bikes. If I should ever want to tow a trailer I'll have to look into what is available then, not worth the payout now.

You could also put on one of those small hauler racks if you really needed to fit more luggage in the i4.

However the roof rack also looks pretty neat if putting bike up there isnt that much of a PIA. Just dont forget when you into a covered garage or parking lot!

Bicycle Wheel Automotive bicycle rack Tire Plant

Wheel Bicycle Tire Automotive bicycle rack Vehicle

Attachments

· Registered
'23 i4 40 & '22 Mach e Premium
328 Posts
I have had a hitch receiver on my last 4 vehicles and never had a rusting issue. They are always powder coated.

My bike won't fit inside with out removing the rear wheel or having to adjust the seatpost. I am 6'3" so my saddle height is just a bit too tall (I've tried); otherwise with the seats down the cargo area is long enough for my bikes. Plus, during cyclocross season, I do not want to put a muddy bike inside my car.
Since you're fairly tall have you considered using a roof rack? The slots built into the top for the rack mounts are pretty slick.

· Registered
39 Posts
Since you're fairly tall have you considered using a roof rack? The slots built into the top for the rack mounts are pretty slick.
Yeah but I live in a condo with underground parking and the risk is quite high that I will forget my bike is up there 🤣. Roof bars were 400 CAD plus 250 per bike holder (x2) so I guess the delta isn't too bad. I already own a really good hitch mount rack (1Up USA). I also like that the stealth mount receiver piece can be removed to get back to a stock look pretty fast compared to roof bars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts