BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy who took this picture and posted it on an other forum claims that the sunroof of this G26 4GC does not open any further than shown in the picture.
The i4 that I saw during a preview session stopped at exactly the same position, but the software was obviously not yet fully set up.

I discussed it with my sales contact who was convinced that it would open all the way and he demonstrated it in a 4 Coupe. Which stopped at again the same limited position, about 12 cm's "early". He too thougt it had to do with software setup and was still pretty convinced that it would work out fine. I test drove a 4 coupe a while ago and do not remember any issues with the sunroof in that particular car.

But I would like to be sure. If the roof does not open any further than this, that could be a deal braker (for the sunroof, not the i4).
Please let me know if you have seen any evidence of the widest possible postion of the roof.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That didn’t seem like much of an opening! They have a m440 at the dealer, I was gonna go over there one day anyway. I’ll try it.
But I gotta say, when you are driving the car it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference, since you gotta turn your head to see if it’s more open than that. My cars panorama roof is nicest when you’re sitting in the back, besides making the cabin a lot brighter.
I have to say in general, the sunroof mechanics of BMW are very high quality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The guy who took this picture and posted it on an other forum claims that the sunroof of this G26 4GC does not open any further than shown in the picture.
The i4 that I saw during a preview session stopped at exactly the same position, but the software was obviously not yet fully set up.

I discussed it with my sales contact who was convinced that it would open all the way and he demonstrated it in a 4 Coupe. Which stopped at again the same limited position, about 12 cm's "early". He too thougt it had to do with software setup and was still pretty convinced that it would work out fine. I test drove a 4 coupe a while ago and do not remember any issues with the sunroof in that particular car.

But I would like to be sure. If the roof does not open any further than this, that could be a deal braker (for the sunroof, not the i4).
Please let me know if you have seen any evidence of the widest possible postion of the roof.

View attachment 1356
I want to know too!! Sunroof is important for me! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am not familiar with BMW sunroofs. Do the normally just slide backwards or tilt-up in the back and slide backwards on top of the roof?

Seems like the 2nd option would make more sense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I currently have a 2017 4er GC with sun roof. When you open the sun roof by pushing the switch it opens about 2/3 which is supposed to be ideal for driving. If you push the switch again it opens completely which can get noisy while driving.

Maybe the sun roof in the i4 works the same way?

·
Registered
27 Posts
For me this was just another reason not to take it. Tested in a 4 Series Coupe as well, opening stopped 2/3 of the way, reaching "max" position (but not really visually). Combined with lower ceiling height and the fact that either way it is not full pano roof like on iX3 / X3, or Tesla / Polestar (albeit there you can't slide anything open at all lol).

·
Registered
19 Posts

View attachment 1356
Lol I saw the owners car when going pass the dealership he got it from.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I currently have a 2017 4er GC with sun roof. When you open the sun roof by pushing the switch it opens about 2/3 which is supposed to be ideal for driving. If you push the switch again it opens completely which can get noisy while driving.

Maybe the sun roof in the i4 works the same...
Hopefully it will work this way. Of course we tried this on both the i4 and the 4 coupe, but not succesfully. I am still hoping it will just be a software issue.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could this be the final answer?

Picture from the official BMW Germany website.

• Love
Reactions: rangerek

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't go to the dealer because someone else replied. I think this sunroof is surprisingly big! But the way I see it, you could make a bigger glass and make it not go all the way back, or you could make a smaller one that can. It's constricted by the rear roofline or hatch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
View attachment 1415
Somebody posted this, showing the sunroof fully open.
I'm not too sure since I am viewing this from my phone but that picture looks like the sunroof is closed.

It looks as if only the shade is pulled all the way back to expose the glass sunroof.

At the sunroof side closest to the interior light, you can see a bit of tree leaves. They are a bit washed out from what I can assume is the sunlight passing through the glass.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not too sure since I am viewing this from my phone but that picture looks like the sunroof is closed.

It looks as if only the shade is pulled all the way back to expose the glass sunroof.

At the sunroof side closest to the interior light, you can see a bit of tree leaves. They are a bit washed out from what I can assume is the sunlight passing through the glass.
You may be right :cautious:

• Sad
Reactions: homerfan

·
Registered
Bmw 640d M coupe ‘11, Bmw X3 2.0d xdrive M ‘19
56 Posts
My 6 series f13 has only sunroof with tilt function, so any opening large or small would be most welcomed :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts