BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this article today: bimmertoday.de

Perhaps not directly BMW I4 related, but I find it really interesting and I think that it really emphasizes just how important it is for BMW to get the I4 and IX right. The 3-series is still a clear accumulated best-seller for 2021, but this is most likely not just a one-month occurance, but rather a trend which will continue.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Actually motor vehicle registrations for TM3 in September exceed those of of BMW 3er, Audi A4 and Mercedes C class combined. And Tesla looks sure to be on the move.

But the article is a bit of click bait nonetheless. These are the September and 2021 overall numbers

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

Product Rectangle Font Slope Parallel

How about: "Polestar sales explodes in 2021"?

·
Registered
286 Posts
... it is an interesting trend and surely something BMW is hoping to correct with the launch of the i-series vehicles.
Yes, and interesting to see what Audi and Mercedes are about to do.

But sedans are not the most lucrative segment and Tesla is still importing all of their cars. I am very curious what will happen when they start to produce the model Y locally. That could really take a big slice of the SUV and station wagon market. Or maybe not? I wouldn't dare any prediction.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Absolute numbers (number of cars sold) are equaly important - and - obviously one can’t just speak of quantity without mentioning quality, where there is a clear gap between the current premium brands and the rest of the pack - not limited to but especially Tesla. This in turn has a great effect on the availability and aging of car fleets overal ie: how many 10-20y old BMW or Mercedes don’t you see driving on the road vs other brands in equivalent segments … Hypes are like throwing stones very high … everyone looks up and WOW’s… vs throwing a stone boringly low however landing it much further.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Meanwhile Musk cuts 20% of salaries in Germany.

Autotranslated from Greek.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Check October, suddenly no Tesla to be found anywhere. Tesla just bunches 3 months worth of sales into one month. And surprise - record sales (in that one month). Without the new deliveries of Model Y from China sold to people who were waiting for a German-made Model Y for years Tesla would be now in 5th place in EU for BEV sales. With Model Y they are in 3rd. Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 11 countries, 80+% of BEV market

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check October, suddenly no Tesla to be found anywhere. Tesla just bunches 3 months worth of sales into one month. And surprise - record sales (in that one month). Without the new deliveries of Model Y from China sold to people who were waiting for a German-made Model Y for years Tesla would be now in 5th place in EU for BEV sales. With Model Y they are in 3rd. Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 11 countries, 80+% of BEV market
Nobody remembers the headlines from last month. That's why they can repeat them every third month.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If Tesla could produce more cars they would be up there every month. While Tesla quality isn’t quite up to the current 3 series standard, the China cars are well built and quality is high. In my country, the cheapest Model 3 is $60k and the cheapest i4 eDrive40 is $100k! I mean, they are not even in the same market! Tesla is also cheaper than the cheapest 3 series. And when you take into account how cheap it is to run a Model 3, there is literally no comparison.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If Tesla could produce more cars they would be up there every month. While Tesla quality isn’t quite up to the current 3 series standard, the China cars are well built and quality is high. In my country, the cheapest Model 3 is $60k and the cheapest i4 eDrive40 is $100k! I mean, they are not even in the same market! Tesla is also cheaper than the cheapest 3 series. And when you take into account how cheap it is to run a Model 3, there is literally no comparison.
Federal vehicle registration numbers are about what IS, not what IF.

·
Registered
62 Posts
....... In my country, the cheapest Model 3 is $60k and the cheapest i4 eDrive40 is $100k! .....
How is that possible? You absolutely sure? In my country the cheapest Model 3 is around $55k and cheapest i4 is around $65k. And that i4 already has 100km more range and is faster (Let alone other money worthy things). What would make the BMW sooooo much more expensive there??

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tesla Model 3 is already outselling 3 series, A4 and C class in many countries including Australia where there is very limited subsidy for EV. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think the same won’t happen in Germany when supplies allow. When Berlin factory ramps up production, sales of X3, GLC, Q5 will be beaten by Model Y. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How is that possible? You absolutely sure? In my country the cheapest Model 3 is $55k and cheapest i4 is $65k. And that i4 already has over 100km more range and is faster (Let alone other money worthy things). What would make the BMW sooooo much more expensive there??
I’m sure. I own one and ordered another. I’ve also owned over 30 BMWs in the last 20 years so I’m unfortunately very familiar with BMW pricing. Model 3 comes with a lot more standard equipment too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
As a year total BMW 3 series comfortably outsells Model 3 and all other cars in the segment - Germany Sales: BMW 3 Series models dominate the premium segment

BMW sales numbers last year are astonishingly good, actually: Electro-offensive and number one in premium segment: BMW Group posts strong sales for 2021

Best unit sales of all time. with over 100k BEVs delivered.

More than doubled BEV sales for BMW and doubled for Mini. Another doubling expected this year as well.

iX3 sold basically as many cars as Taycan (~40k).

Both M division and Motorat division are also having best year ever. Also Rolls Royce.

Top of the German Premium Automaker championship, besting Mercedes (after a while) and leaving Audi far behind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts