BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does not affect directly the i4 production or sales but it would/could have profound implications in the EV market-place worldwide, and potentially make the future of BMW as an independent company, more risky. There are several videos on YouTube about this subject, this one that I think discusses best the context.

·
Registered
MB GLA
319 Posts
Ken7 You should take that with a grain of salt MB have a lot of money, Tesla have a lot of debts and the competition come on quickly from Korea, China, Germany and USA. Tesla have to improve the quality of their car soon.

·
Registered
822 Posts
From Wikipedia (2020 though, so a lot might have changed)
TESLA inc.
Production output
  • Increase
    509,737 vehicles (2020)
  • Increase
    3 GWh battery energy storage systems (2020)
  • Increase
    205 MW solar (2020)
Services
Revenue
Increase
US$31.5 billion (2020)
Operating income
Increase
US$2 billion (2020)
Net income
Increase
US$721 million (2020)
Total assets
Increase
US$52.2 billion (2020)
Total equity
Increase
US$22.2 billion (2020)
Owner
Number of employees
Increase
70,757 (2020)

Daimler AG
Production output
Decrease
2,840,402 (2020)[1]
Revenue
Decrease
€154.309 billion (2020)[1]
Operating income
Increase
€6.603 billion (2020)[1]
Net income
Decrease
€4.009 billion (2020)[1]
Total assets
Decrease
€285.737 billion (2020)[1]
Total equity
Decrease
€62.248 billion (2020)[1]
Owners
Number of employees
Decrease
288,481 (December 31, 2020)[1]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Will not happen. The inflated share price of Tesla doesn´t tell all. Based on the figures above, MB is way too big for Tesla.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Lord, I hope you're right. However, the fact Tesla's market cap is $1 098B and Daimler's is 85B seems to say there are a lot of irrational investors out there that are willing to bet a ton of money on Tesla even though its fundamentals are rather weak. We are living in strange times, and we can only hope that the owners of Daimler's shares won't be victim of the same hysteria the Tesla investors seem to have caught, and don't jump on an buy-off offer from Tesla in the hope of riding the bandwagon Tesla is enjoying.

Tesla certainly has been successful drumming up its narrative of "agile conquistador" with its sales in Europe, its Supercharger network and its Giga factory in Berlin while VW, Daimler and BMW still have difficulty changing their image of slow dinosaurs with their perceived hedging their bets between ICE and Electric, VW and Daimler premature and somewhat ill-advised embrace of smartphone-like user interface and BMW major mistake underestimating the i4 demand. And the jury is still out on the EQS shape and its bolted down hood (bonnet). And Stellantis is still in denial and asking for help from governments to give it more time to continue building ICE...

I think VW, Daimler and BMW all thought they had a lot more time to transition to electric, and they all focused on the SUV market and left the door wide open for Tesla to plunge in with its Model S and Model 3 which basically had no competition in the European market, so it's really no wonder the Model 3 became the top seller in Europe. They are trying hard to turn around, I think they will get back their market share by the end of the decade, and let's hope the investors look at the long game. The success or failure of the Model Y will be rather key, because it is now chasing VW, Mercedes and BMW in what should be their strength (VW ID3, ID4, ID5, Audi Q4 e-tron, M-B EQA, EQB, EQC, BMW iX3). And the Germans finally saw the light and start investing into charging infrastructure...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ugh don't fall for this crap, these videos are 100% false, just look at the posting history, it's the exact same type of videos about Musk, Tesla and SpaceX. Their only purpose is to garner attention.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts