BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Total surprise,

yesterday I got an email, are you still interested, you still didn't sign the offer blabla any questions blabla.
Answered yes, still waiting for employer GO, and interested in knowing when the car can be seen and test driven.

the guy said, as of tomorrow... so I booked a slot!

was the second person ever driving it :cool:

"unfortunately" it was the M50, I'd have preferred the 4 40 since its performance on paper should be similar to my 330e

impressions:
acceleration wise, like in all the videos: its mental, the curb seems more than exponential once you go past halfway the pedal, seems hard to dose but I guess once you have it for a week you get used to it. When I drive my 330e in full electric, I have 80 horsepower so I constantly floor it, here, in a city environment, there is almost nowhere you can floor it even just one second because you need 500m (free of pedestrians, cars, whatever)

headroom at the back is limited but no issue (it has a sunroof and I'm 1m83), seating position at the back is "not as bad as they say in the video's")
seating position at the front is "different" than 3 series, you're more "lying down" and higer up (can see all the bonnet)

one pedal drive seems ok

Biggest concern to me is the break distance: on wet (like today) and cold (8°C) (and relatively new tires?) ABS had to jump in all the time (was in testing/fun modus) and emergency braking distance seemed like "a lot" (more than my already heavy 330e of 1,6 Ton)

other than that, you don't feel the weight, its crisp and stable. Going over speed bumps at 40 km/h that would normally "hurt" went over flawlessly.

consumption wise, I started with battery at 84% 327 km of announced range and ended up 40 mins later with 76% and 287 of announced range. unfortunately on the pic of the dash I took when starting there were no reald km driven. but for sure I did not drive 50 km, more like 15. so driving in "nuts/test" mode seems to increase consumption by a factor 3 :)

the DCS button is "annoying", have to press it and then turn the weel to select ON/Traction/off (would be more logic to toggle o neach press but it doesn't)
I tried to put it on Traction, which normally (in my 330e) should let you powerslide & spin (or U turn) within reasonable limits but there is so much power (and it was wet) that there was no noticeable difference with the ON mode: its wanting to spin/slide so much electronics have to jump in immediately. probably need to get used to the power delivery curb to dose the power correctly to be able to use that mode.

for those in Belgium who want to try: its at Llouyet Brussels

I'll add few pics later (but its the same frozen blue full option version you see in all the videos)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice!

How is the surrounding view, blind spots?
Infotainment working fine?
How is the door closing sound now? As bas as heard in (p)reviews?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Press DCS once for Traction, press few seconds for off, no?
that is how it works on my urrent 330e but not here, pressing it once opens the on screen menu (but itstays on "ON" have to turn the dial AND press to confirm to switch to traction, or OFF)
I didn't try long press for OFF (was not what I was looking for, and OFF should be mad on this car, only for real drifting)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice!

How is the surrounding view, blind spots?
Infotainment working fine?
How is the door closing sound now? As bas as heard in (p)reviews?
didn't notice substantial difference in blind spots

infotainment seemed to work fine, but I didn't really bothered
I did check the "driving recorder" menu to see how that works because I considered it. for what I have understood, (without the manual) it seems you can choose how many (ranging from 5 to I dont remember but not much, like max 60) seconds it records before and after a "trigger (accident...)" this is how it is mentioned so I guess having an impact or aribag blow, maybe emergency break will for sure have the X seconds "saved" but I'm not sure how to "manually" trigger (after an event) to save the last X seconds or minutes. the only "manual" mode seemd to just "start" a recording. but that is not what I mean/want.

door closing sound was ok, with the frameless windows I guess you can't have the same kind of noise as with framed window.
It's more the "feeling" you need to get used to because usually you have a hold on the window frame to firmly "throw" the door to close it. here on the frameless windows that same movement/push gives you a "is this not too fragile?" moment. (and I don't know if it actually IS ok to do so or if you are supposed to "push" on the lower parts of the door.)

·
Registered
472 Posts
but I'm not sure how to "manually" trigger (after an event) to save the last X seconds
If you long press or double tap (cant remeber which one) the panoramic view button, the drive recorder will automatic start to record according to the settings you have made

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The manual actually says that long pressing on the button "saves" video for the combination of cameras you choose up to 20 seconds before 20 seconds after. But of course, since it does not time travel, it means that cameras are actually recording all the time, only overwriting its memory in a loop such as to keep 20 seconds ready, when you push the button it saves the 20 seconds, then starts recording to storage for 20 seconds and goes back to its "record and erase loop".

It also says it will record 40 seconds from all cameras "when the sensors detect an accident". I hope it is not only when the airbag deploy, I certainly would like evidence of fender benders and even vandalism when parked. But contrary to Tesla, BMW is constrained by GDPR, so they do need to justify that recording is automatically triggered based on a valid reason, so that won't be a "Sentry mode" like Tesla (not sure whether that's available in Europe due to GDPR).

·
Registered
309 Posts
IMO 20 seconds before and after is not long enough. If an accident happens, it could easily be 10+ seconds before you remeber to press the button due to the shock effect of the accident. Tesla does 10 minutes, which I think is about right.

·
1,045 Posts
IMO 20 seconds before and after is not long enough. If an accident happens, it could easily be 10+ seconds before you remeber to press the button due to the shock effect of the accident. Tesla does 10 minutes, which I think is about right.
in case of an accident the record is automatic

·
896 Posts
Have you been driving it offroad???? hahahahaha

·
896 Posts
I also made an appointment for a test drive, probably the same car as @salamix because it's the same car dealer..
I'm allowed to have it from Tuesday 17PM til the next day 10AM.

Anything in particular that you guys want me to test (no silly or dangerous requests :sneaky:)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I also made an appointment for a test drive, probably the same car as @salamix because it's the same car dealer..
I'm allowed to have it from Tuesday 17PM til the next day 10AM.

Anything in particular that you guys want me to test (no silly or dangerous requests :sneaky:)
Wow, an overnight test drive! I wish American dealers would allow those for us. Thank you for your offer, if I had the same opportunity, I would love to check the following:
  • Confirm that both the driver seat and the passenger seat have 1) adjustable lumbar support, 2) adjustable side bolsters, 3) seat memory, and 4) if possible, whether the seat memory includes the lumbar and side bolsters
  • What are the custom settings allowed for drive modes Sport Individual and Eco-Pro Individual?
  • Would be great if you could post the 40 seconds drive recorder video using all cameras, if the car has that option
  • Map out a long trip on the nav, review the detailed itinerary with charging points/times, and compare with PlugShare, ChargeWay or ABRP.
  • If you charge your phone on the wireless charger, verify whether it overheats and shuts down charging after, say, 15 minutes.
  • This one may be a bit time consuming, so only do it if you have time and are curious yourself - charge it at a fast charger between 80% and 100% SOC, and take a video of the charging power as it gets nearer 100%, to help everyone assess the time required should we need to go beyond 80%. If video is inconvenient, a few check points (like charging power at 85%, 90%, 95%, 97%, 98%, 99%) would also be great.
  • BMW says that for a world first, you can display mapping info from CarPlay or Android Auto in the Instrument Cluster or the Head Up Display. If you could try it out and post pictures, it would be awesome.

Of course, I would also love to read your general driving impressions, the noise level, the quality of the ride, how it feels on a country road, but the above points are those that most YouTubers did not spend time on. Thanks in advance!

·
896 Posts
@MinhSATx said:
  • Confirm that both the driver seat and the passenger seat have 1) adjustable lumbar support, 2) adjustable side bolsters, 3) seat memory, and 4) if possible, whether the seat memory includes the lumbar and side bolsters: I can test that (Seat memory not on passengers side)
  • What are the custom settings allowed for drive modes Sport Individual and Eco-Pro Individual? OK
  • Would be great if you could post the 40 seconds drive recorder video using all cameras, if the car has that option: The car has this option, so I'll test it
  • Map out a long trip on the nav, review the detailed itinerary with charging points/times, and compare with PlugShare, ChargeWay or ABRP. Certainly worth trying, for my trip to Norway :LOL:
  • If you charge your phone on the wireless charger, verify whether it overheats and shuts down charging after, say, 15 minutes. Sorry, no wireless charging on our phones (OnePlus 7 and Nokia 8)
  • This one may be a bit time consuming, so only do it if you have time and are curious yourself - charge it at a fast charger between 80% and 100% SOC, and take a video of the charging power as it gets nearer 100%, to help everyone assess the time required should we need to go beyond 80%. If video is inconvenient, a few check points (like charging power at 85%, 90%, 95%, 97%, 98%, 99%) would also be great. Time too short, no fast charger in my neighborhood, only one that is 50kw/h at about 15km away
  • BMW says that for a world first, you can display mapping info from CarPlay or Android Auto in the Instrument Cluster or the Head Up Display. If you could try it out and post pictures, it would be awesome. I will certainly give that a try

Of course, I would also love to read your general driving impressions, the noise level, the quality of the ride, how it feels on a country road, but the above points are those that most YouTubers did not spend time on. Thanks in advance! We even have roads with cobblestones. I'll try these roads as well :) , maybe even while recording sound.

·
Registered
35 Posts
in case of an accident the record is automatic
It would be interesting to find out what is the definition of "accident". Hard braking? air bag deploy? Even cheapo dashcam has a setting for accelerometer sensitivity, but I can't find the same in BMW.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts