BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Positive review for the i4 in my opinion. Both got similar results charging and on range. The Model 3 has better performance and the i4 feels heavier, but the Model 3 lacks on ride quality, build quality, materials, comfort, and noise level.

Full review here: Test drive BMW i4 vs Tesla Model 3. The big match of electric sedans (largus.fr)

Translated by Google:
To get to the bottom of the performance, we traveled our journey dedicated to the autonomy of electric vehicles with both cars at the same time, which were paved with 19-inch wheels. The Model 3 confirmed its excellence in terms of consumption with 14.4 kWh/100 km calculated on the road and 23.1 kWh on the motorway, which induce real ranges of 513 and 321 km. But the BMW sticks to the train: 15.7 kWh on the road and 24.4 kWh on the highway for identical ranges (513 km on the road and 330 km on the highway) thanks to its slightly larger battery.
Based on the review, under certain circumstances the eDrive40 had more range than the Model 3. Both had 19" wheels.

The i4 will be a lot less efficient in stop and go traffic due to the extra weight, but with a larger battery and similar drag coefficient it might match the range of the Tesla on the freeway.

The American car is more punchy when it comes to acceleration, and its time from 0 to 100 km/h confirms the feeling behind the wheel: 4.4 seconds versus 5.7 seconds for the German. Even in terms of behavior, the Tesla shows a better disposition, with its more incisive front end and its agility a notch above that of the i4, which is not ridiculous.
Motor vehicle Font Personal luxury car Automotive lighting Electric blue

馃槶

Registered
It IS a good article, it presents well the pros and the cons, and it is one of the first ones that is totally based on actual tests, not just reading specs as Tesla tends to play with them while BMW has historically been conservative. The differences in consumption are relatively small and in line with what you would expect considering the difference in weight between the two cars, and I especially like that they took care to spec the same wheel size for both to level the playing field.

It is definitely undisputable that Tesla's Supercharger network is a huge advantage for its cars, and I think that the European manufacturers are making a mistake by not banding up, and either creating or purchasing and re-vamping their own charging networks. I have been very disappointed with the accounts of issues charging BMWs with Ionity chargers in France, I thought that you guys were way ahead of our pitiful infrastructure with EA and EVGo.

So at the end of the day, the Tesla won only because of price (though you do get what you pay for) and charging network (and integration with a better electric-aware mapping system). Not surprising, but the BMW did pretty good against the odds, and I'm happy to be encouraging the competition.

Registered
In my opinion 2 totally different cars.
I can't see how someone (who actually look at/in them more carefully) could have doubts on which to choose.
Far more differences than similarities. Different approach. Different values and virtues.

Registered
I guess >90% of this forum don't understand french, would you be kind enough to translate and share us the relevant bits? please... :geek:
Sure @Electropowa !
In Summary, Argus did a range rest of the eDrive40 (M Sport) with 19" Hankook tyres on their standard route test for all electric cars.

Map Font Parallel Signage Diagram

鈥 Motorway driving at 130km/h gives a range of 330km. Consumption of 24.4 kWh.
鈥 Secondary road driving varying between 50 and 110 km/h with 'intermediate' regen gives 513km. Consumption: 15.7 kWh

Other points of note in the article:
  • Impressive soundproofing at 130 km/h
  • Good suspension which gives a smooth ride.
  • On the regenerative braking, they mention 3 'manual' options in addition to the Auto which I haven't heard mentioned before. Also rather confusingly, they say that the "B" mode is not true one-pedal driving.....which is rather odd because I have seen video reviews which demonstrate just that !
  • The test of recharging from 41% to 80% on an Ionity borne gave the following results:
    • peak value of 170 kW at the start, but rapidly went down to 115 kW to 50%
    • then 95 kW to 60%
    • 80kW to 70%
    • 58kW to 78%
  • The myBMW mobile app has many useful functions, eg. remote start and stop of charging, air-con/heating remotely, sending your navigation and recharge stops to the car navigation system. The application shows if the charger is occupied or not, but not the kW power of the chargers. Oddly, the onboard navigation shows the kW power but not their usage status. As the author points out, the inverse would be more logical!
Voil脿 !

Registered
[Edit] @Krash just made a better summary above :)

Not my summary. Borrowed from Facebook.

summary:
鈥 Secondary road driving varying between 50 and 110 km/h with 'intermediate' regen gives 513km. Consumption: 15.7 kWh
Other side points in the article:
Impressive soundproofing at 130 km/h
Good suspension which gives a smooth ride.

Registered
[Edit] @Krash just made a better summary above :)

Not my summary. Borrowed from Facebook.

summary:
Other side points in the article:
Impressive soundproofing at 130 km/h
Good suspension which gives a smooth ride.
That would also be me ! :p

attention, results are in kW/100km, not kW/h

an interesting thing: compare the same trip by road and by highway: it consumes 22kW by road, 26,6kW by highway

so, here, we go further on small roads with one charge, even if the distance is longer

Registered
attention, results are in kW/100km, not kW/h

an interesting thing: compare the same trip by road and by highway: it consumes 22kW by road, 26,6kW by highway

so, here, we go further on small roads with one charge, even if the distance is longer
Thank you for pointing this out, @Mycroft. Highlights that an EV consumption is mostly dependent on maximum speed, not on start/stop/accelerate/slow down, since it recuperates, contrary to ICE that do worse in those conditions. This is even better news for my US compatriots and me, since most highways here are limited to 70mph (112km/h). I'd be very happy if my i4 M50 uses 20kW on highways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts