BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I had the eDrive40 for 1.5 hours.
I planned a lot of test to go over with you guys, however I ended up doing none.

I went to pick up the car with my daughter at BMW Belgium, from there we drove home to pick up the rest of the family.

the cabine of the car is what I would expect from BMW, I didn’t have a wow feeling… more ok this is nice. I like the layout better then my 5 series (G31), as there are far less buttons.

Sound wise that car is good, but again, not convinced is it quieter in there as in a ICE 5 series. I turned off the iconic sounds, don’t really see the need for this.

The car I drove had the M package end with this the M steering wheel, for me this wheel is a bit to small as it blocks the view to the dashboard. I tried repositioning it, but for ex the lane assist info was always behind the wheel.
The HUD is really very good, and made more then up for the M steering wheel.

Acceleration of the car is ok, I was able to do a 5.64 to 100km/h on a wet road.
Also at slightly higher speeds when entering or driving on the highway the response is good.
A few rounds on a roundabout (shaped as a small oval) showed me that the car is stable, but when pushed you can feel the weight both in the front and the back.

In general it is a nice car and I’m looking forward to the delivery of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When returning the i4, I had a short talk about the delivery times, they were not able to provide any info, except that the delivery times for the M50 are longer as for the eDrive40.
I didn’t get any info as to why this is.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
When returning the i4, I had a short talk about the delivery times, they were not able to provide any info, except that the delivery times for the M50 are longer as for the eDrive40.
I didn’t get any info as to why this is.
BMW thought first that the iX would sell better than the i4, and they were suprised that the i4 outsold the iX 2:1; then they thought the e40 would sell better than the M50, and the proportion of M50 was a lot higher than planned. So they are playing catch up with the materials (the M50 does require twice as many motors as the e40, plus air suspension in the rear, plus standard adaptive dampers etc...). Bottom line - bad forecasting or too cautious.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hmmm... sounds familiar...
I think it's part of BMW's plan. There is a mesmerizing effect to the car which makes time go by so fast for reviewers that they can just remember their awe and don't have time to go through pre-planned tests. Nothing wrong with that, actually I look forward to it! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMW thought first that the iX would sell better than the i4, and they were suprised that the i4 outsold the iX 2:1; then they thought the e40 would sell better than the M50, and the proportion of M50 was a lot higher than planned. So they are playing catch up with the materials (the M50 does require twice as many motors as the e40, plus air suspension in the rear, plus standard adaptive dampers etc...). Bottom line - bad forecasting or too cautious.
It all has to do with the price setting, if you buy a car for yourself, the difference in price between the eDrive40 and M50 is relatively small.
In turn the M50 is still a considerably less expensive than an M4…

·
Registered
330e
15 Posts
I don't agree on "It all has to do with the price setting", even when you buy it as an owner .. there are other things even important than price

Belgium basic price is 60800 vs 75900 (okay includes more features). But 15k€ is 25% up the price of an e40.
More horsepower means also : less range and a higher TCO, more insurance, ..

I found the e40 more than fast enough, in a country full of speeding camera's en traffic control ..
I went for the extra range of the e40 at a better price.

PS: 15k€ is a car for somebody else ..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@wiba I agree, the car I ordered is also an eDrive40, as a company lease car.

It is a fact that with the price setting on the M50, an M model is now in range of a lot more people then when it would have been priced at par as an M4…

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-Tron
437 Posts
In my case price had absolutely nothing to do with picking the eDrive40, it was all about range. In fact I would have payed more than the 50 for the additional range. I’ll be on my 4th EV and I know what’s important to me in an EV at this point.

·
Registered
330e
15 Posts
I agree with Ken7, Range is for me also more important than a traffic light sprint in less then 4 seconds.
It's not that performance is not important .. otherwise you buy a Fiat 500e.
But the sprint 1-100km in 4 sec or less , is not important for me.
5.7 sec as faster than my 330e, where the biggest drawback is : range in total : 20km electric and less then 500km on fuel.(due to 40 liter tank)..

And 5.7 sec is much faster than +90% of all the other cars in Belgium ..

Maybe the age .. @53 .. (wisdom that starts to come ?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today I had the eDrive40 for 1.5 hours.
I planned a lot of test to go over with you guys, however I ended up doing none.

I went to pick up the car with my daughter at BMW Belgium, from there we drove home to pick up the rest of the family.

the cabine of the car is what I would expect from BMW, I didn’t have a wow feeling… more ok this is nice. I like the layout better then my 5 series (G31), as there are far less buttons.

Sound wise that car is good, but again, not convinced is it quieter in there as in a ICE 5 series. I turned off the iconic sounds, don’t really see the need for this.

The car I drove had the M package end with this the M steering wheel, for me this wheel is a bit to small as it blocks the view to the dashboard. I tried repositioning it, but for ex the lane assist info was always behind the wheel.
The HUD is really very good, and made more then up for the M steering wheel.

Acceleration of the car is ok, I was able to do a 5.64 to 100km/h on a wet road.
Also at slightly higher speeds when entering or driving on the highway the response is good.
A few rounds on a roundabout (shaped as a small oval) showed me that the car is stable, but when pushed you can feel the weight both in the front and the back.

In general it is a nice car and I’m looking forward to the delivery of mine.
thanks - what app did you use to measure 0-100 ? (attachment)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts