BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously wanting to know the answers to this question. Even with traction control disabled, the MYLR cannot power slide or peel out, beyond a quick chirp. The car limits the torque too much from a standstill. I very, very much want an EV that can slide the rear end from a dead stop. I want to hoon. I want to have fun! Certainly there's enough power. My FRS can break the wheels loose without breaking a sweat. It's just a matter of tuning.

This is also why I said no to the i3. It's RWD and has no RWD flavor. So yawn inducing.

Our I-Pace can't do it either. ARGH! At least the I-Pace gives a nice kick in the butt when taking off, and it handles great, and it's the greatest all around car I know of. Maybe the i4M50 will be it's equal?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am seriously wanting to know the answers to this question. Even with traction control disabled, the MYLR cannot power slide or peel out, beyond a quick chirp. The car limits the torque too much from a standstill. I very, very much want an EV that can slide the rear end from a dead stop. I want to hoon. I want to have fun! Certainly there's enough power. My FRS can break the wheels loose without breaking a sweat. It's just a matter of tuning.

This is also why I said no to the i3. It's RWD and has no RWD flavor. So yawn inducing.

Our I-Pace can't do it either. ARGH! At least the I-Pace gives a nice kick in the butt when taking off, and it handles great, and it's the greatest all around car I know of. Maybe the i4M50 will be it's equal?
I must be getting sooo old :(
Can someone please help me out and explain the red pieces of English text?

·
1,028 Posts
I think it's too heavy to do this kind of thing safely. So much power and mass must be unmanageable without enough electronic assistance!
or maybe on wet (wide) roads:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
2,267 Posts
It would be sad if a BMW M cannot kick the tail out on command.
Do you live somewhere remotely in the US?
When I lived in the US (1998-2000) I had to drive 60km (40miles) to go to work, from Ontario CA towards LA. On the I-10 I saw at least 10 cop cars every ride. And when they were behind you, they guaranteed checked you out on their system.
So, where do you do some drifting and sliding?

·
Registered
323 Posts
A production model though? The evil car companies often tune the fun out.
It would be sad if a BMW M cannot kick the tail out on command.
I tried to find for you an article I imaged I stumbled across where it said BMW would have an optional update to allow you to do these things in the i4 M50 but I couldn't find it...so...that's no better than hearsay but it's there in my brain fog.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to find for you an article I imaged I stumbled across where it said BMW would have an optional update to allow you to do these things in the i4 M50 but I couldn't find it...so...that's no better than hearsay but it's there in my brain fog.
I hope you're right!

Do you live somewhere remotely in the US?
When I lived in the US (1998-2000) I had to drive 60km (40miles) to go to work, from Ontario CA towards LA. On the I-10 I saw at least 10 cop cars every ride. And when they were behind you, they guaranteed checked you out on their system.
So, where do you do some drifting and sliding?
I live on a canyon road in Norcal. I kick the tail out pretty much every time I pull the FRS out of the driveway, and often when I take the sharp right or left to the local freeway onramp. Lots of good roads in Socal too, but I don't know about Ontario. My dad was born there, though!

·
Registered
2016 435i convertible
533 Posts
My question is: Can you J-turn? How does the electronic transmission handle that?
I once took a stunt driving school, and in that car, you spun the steering wheel and mid way you shifted from reverse directly to drive. It was the same way in my 79 Trans Am.
When I took the BMW course in South Carolina, they showed us in the BMW you had to go from reverse to neutral, then to drive, otherwise the engine would cut out. Same thing would happen if you blew a drift.

Dan

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would also like to be able to J turn, I suppose. Though I prefer just turning the wheel far to the left, dropping the clutch, and having the rear slide around. So much easier!

·
1,028 Posts
I must be getting sooo old :(
Can someone please help me out and explain the red pieces of English text?
I've used google to translate in French and deepl to translate back into English:

I want to know the answers to this question. Even with traction control off, the MYLR can't slip or take off, beyond a quick beep. The car also has limited torque at a standstill. I really want an electric vehicle that can slide the rear from a neutral point. I want to drive. I want to have fun! There is certainly enough power. My FRS can break wheels without breaking a sweat. It's just a matter of setting it up.

This is also why I said no to the i3. It's RWD and has no RWD flavor. It makes you yawn.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 435i Gran Coupe
103 Posts
Haha!

Urban Dictionary can be helpful:
(check the second definition for hoon though)

MYLR = Model Y Long Range.
FRS = Scion FR-S (a car we don't get in Europe).

Regards, Vincent.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Translated from Dutch to Maori to French to English:

Thanks Mycroft for this explanation. Everything is much clearer now. Although I still wonder what FRS is. Maybe a Fiat Regata Super? Too bad Jpuff, I don't think an i4 will meet all of your expectations. For the final solution, just have a look at my signature. Hope you haven't ordered i4 yet?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Translated from Dutch to Maori to French to English:

Thanks Mycroft for this explanation. Everything is much clearer now. Although I still wonder what FRS is. Maybe a Fiat Regata Super? Too bad Jpuff, I don't think an i4 will meet all of your expectations. For the final solution, just have a look at my signature. Hope you haven't ordered i4 yet?
It was all fun and games until the guy named Hans offered me the final solution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haha!

Urban Dictionary can be helpful:
(check the second definition for hoon though)
In this case, "hoon" refers to Ken Block's Hoonigan Racing team, which is very famous for gymkhana, rally, hill climb, and other off-track motorsports. In other words, to "hoon" is to drive like a maniac with lots of sliding, drifting, hard acceleration, etc. You'll seen their [HOONIGAN] logo plastered all over heavily modded cars in Southern California (and elsewhere too, I'm sure)

Hoonigan Racing:
Gymkhana:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.