BMW i4 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a normal car, it's possible to chiptune the engine, although it's not always legal. Here in Belgium, you're allowed to do it if you let your car be certified again. If you don't do that, and you have an accident, it's possible that the insurance company refuses to come in, because your car is not certified for the original power of your engine.
Anyway, I did do it on my Passat CC, going from about 136HP to a little less than 190HP, and about 80nm more torque. I took that risk because the company who arranged it all said it is very hard to trace.

OK, now the question: can you do the same on an EV? Can you finetune the electric engine(s) so they have more power, more HP, more torque...?

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
118 Posts
I'm sure there are reserves of power left on the table for reliability reasons just like on ICE cars. Manufacters of BEV have offered power increases (either as a post-purchase option) or just as mid-cycle refreshes without changing the motors at all, so I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up and offer something of that nature. I think some already offer that on other platforms.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe Tesla is offering on the Model 3 a power upgrade that improves 0-100km by 0.5 seconds.
At some point they also increased the power of all model 3's by 5%, with an OTA software update.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not an expert at all, but had to mention. My dealer mentioned that the future real M -version of I4 would use the same motors as used in M50 and said that I could ”chip” more power from M50 in future.
I haven’t seen any news mentioning about more powerful I4. So that discussion is the only time I’ve heard about such..

·
Registered
157 Posts
What I think can be achieved is removing speed limiter in 40 (as it is the same motor as in the M50 then it is not a problem with revs probably and shouldn't be a problem to have it set at 220kmh maybe ;)

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
118 Posts
Not an expert at all, but had to mention. My dealer mentioned that the future real M -version of I4 would use the same motors as used in M50 and said that I could ”chip” more power from M50 in future.
I haven’t seen any news mentioning about more powerful I4. So that discussion is the only time I’ve heard about such..
I was thinking about that too. The iX M60 that is coming out should be using the same motors as the iX M50/i4 M50, just a different state of "tune." I would think BMW would offer a power package as they historically did this on their ICE vehicles on the 3/4 series 335/435/440i models, so perhaps it's a possibility.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It can definitely be done, there is a company here in Canada doing that on the Tesla Model 3 already

·
Registered
902 Posts
I would not be too interested in increasing the i4 M50 power, it's plenty powerful as it is, but if there was a way to disable the front wheels altogether into a "drift mode", I'd be interested. As a matter of fact, I think BMW might offer it as part of the "M" 50th anniversary celebration once they test it and define possibly a gradation from "a bit of fun" to "full hero mode".

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would not be too interested in increasing the i4 M50 power, it's plenty powerful as it is, but if there was a way to disable the front wheels altogether into a "drift mode", I'd be interested.
That's what I had in mind too...

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
118 Posts
I just realized the M50's rear motor makes less power than the edrive40 by 27hp. The M50's front motor makes me wonder if they will make an edrive30...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Less power in the M50 rear may be because of battery or inverter limits. Are the parts of the rear motors the same or different?

I have the Ingenext upgrade on my MYLR. A PITA to install, but it can do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds quite easily. I got it early on, so I can't really compare to stock performance, but it's fast. They also don't have an OBD2 port, so I can't get more and better diagnostics from the car. Maybe there's an app?

There's no tune available for the I-Pace. I'd hop on that in a second.

·
Registered
2019 BMW M4cs
118 Posts
Less power in the M50 rear may be because of battery or inverter limits. Are the parts of the rear motors the same or different?

I have the Ingenext upgrade on my MYLR. A PITA to install, but it can do 0-60 in 4.2 seconds quite easily. I got it early on, so I can't really compare to stock performance, but it's fast. They also don't have an OBD2 port, so I can't get more and better diagnostics from the car. Maybe there's an app?

There's no tune available for the I-Pace. I'd hop on that in a second.
The F/R motors should be the same, at least according to pictures from BMW's press release. RealOEM hasn't listed BMW's latest i products yet, but I suspect that they are the same motors as are on the iX as well (cost per scale, makes perfect sense). I'm anxiously awaiting for it to go on that site to confirm.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The F/R motors should be the same, at least according to pictures from BMW's press release. RealOEM hasn't listed BMW's latest i products yet, but I suspect that they are the same motors as are on the iX as well (cost per scale, makes perfect sense). I'm anxiously awaiting for it to go on that site to confirm.
If that's the case, then perhaps there's some unlocking potential for the i4. Or maybe it's just battery limits.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts